Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #241
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Blood bowl! Awesome game. Unfortunately the little game store where it was popular when I was young switched to M:TG when that came out. Although that was also a solid game.

Haven't played BB enough.

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. I run a league with 20 or so players in it.

The ruleset has come a long way too. I think the most recent edition of the rules is only a couple of years old which is amazing considering the game has had very little GW support for the last 20 or so years.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #242
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I enjoy games a lot, but don't get to play nearly as much as I or a number of friends would like. We have been playing a bunch of Munchkin and often play Settlers of Catan. Sequence and Scotland Yard make appearances also - I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned that one - pretty simple and quick. We've just started getting into Twilight Imperium and I think that shows some promise.

Beyond those I really like Risk, Axis and Allies and games like Empire Builder and EuroRails. For those that like the Ticket to Ride series (I have one of those, enjoy it also), the Empire Builder series (China Rails, India Rails, Euro Rails, et al,) are great games that are more strategy focused and take longer. You actually use wet or dry erase markers to build your track on the board and try to coordinate your loads as efficiently as possible. Most people that I have introduced to these games has taken to them, but they will take a while if you're introducing more than 1 or 2 people at a time.

We generally get our games online from www.starlitcitadel.com which we've found to be really good. Anyone in the Red Deer area should check out The Game Store at the South end of Geatz (it's a computer place that also sells models, CCGs like M:TG and board games).
The Coppernian One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Coppernian One For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #243
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

We ordered all our Game of Thrones card game decks from the Starlit Citadel. Great savings if you buy a bunch at once as you only play a flat shipping fee. Most games are 25% cheaper than say the Discovery Hut.

+1 for the Game Store in Red Deer too by the way!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #244
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
We ordered all our Game of Thrones card game decks from the Starlit Citadel. Great savings if you buy a bunch at once as you only play a flat shipping fee. Most games are 25% cheaper than say the Discovery Hut.

+1 for the Game Store in Red Deer too by the way!
Starlit has flat rate shipping now? I get all my games from either Meeplemart or Germangames.com both have flat rate shipping and are cheaper than Starlit. (meeplemart will also hold your order for more items too)
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #245
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn - why isn't there a CP boardgame meetup?? I want to try some of these games!!
Also, if you are looking for gaming groups, Revolution Games and Music pretty regularly has tables open with a copy of just about every board game they have in stock available, and the folks there are generally willing to have a go at it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #246
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Starlit has flat rate shipping now? I get all my games from either Meeplemart or Germangames.com both have flat rate shipping and are cheaper than Starlit. (meeplemart will also hold your order for more items too)
Sorry I think I typed that incorrectly - not a flat rate - they have different options - but I meant that there is one shipping fee regardless of how many games you purchase. So if you order a bunch at once you only pay shipping once.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #247
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I looked into possibly organizing some CP game nights - how many people would be interested?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #248
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #249
Svensational
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Risk (with 3+ friends), Monopoly with the roommate, and Sorry! with family.

Mousetrap if I'm playin' my Sis.
Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #250
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Yeah, it's pretty fantastic. I run a league with 20 or so players in it.

The ruleset has come a long way too. I think the most recent edition of the rules is only a couple of years old which is amazing considering the game has had very little GW support for the last 20 or so years.
Do you guys play out of Trilogy game club in Dover? I know there's a league up there too.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #251
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Do you guys play out of Trilogy game club in Dover? I know there's a league up there too.
Yeah. Our main league is in there on some Sundays and we have a small group trying to start up a small splinter group there on Wednesdays.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #252
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice - According to meetup.com they are right next to my comic book shop and Wednesday is new comic day - I might swing by and watch and see if it's something I'd like.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #253
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice - According to meetup.com they are right next to my comic book shop and Wednesday is new comic day - I might swing by and watch and see if it's something I'd like.

For sure, I'll talk to a few guys to make sure there are some games going on

Unfortunately my wednesdays are booked until fall so I have to leave it in the capable hands of the other players in my league
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #254
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed Stratego when I was younger. Haven't played any board games in a while.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #255
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
If I looked into possibly organizing some CP game nights - how many people would be interested?
I would be interested.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #256
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be interested depending on the night
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #257
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dice Tower 2011 Awards:

http://www.dicetower.com/dice_tower_...11-awards.html

TDT - Episode # 2012A - Dice Tower Awards 2012!

Last edited by troutman; 07-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #258
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Blood bowl! Awesome game. Unfortunately the little game store where it was popular when I was young switched to M:TG when that came out. Although that was also a solid game.

Haven't played BB enough.
Have you ever tried the PC version of it? It's actually pretty well run with the expansion installed (Every race but the Chaos Dwarfs were included).
Old 07-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #259
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Have you ever tried the PC version of it? It's actually pretty well run with the expansion installed (Every race but the Chaos Dwarfs were included).

I have, yeah. They are missing a few other races that are approved by the designers but don't have any official GW models (Chaos Pact, Slann, Underworld).

The AI is garbage, but the game itself is fairly well done. Only a few major bugs that haven't ever been sorted out, but if you know what they are they are easy to avoid.

The best part about the cyanide verison is that it has driven a couple of new players to our league.

I play most of my online Blood Bowl on www.fumbbl.com though. They use a free java client for their games and for the most part it works really well. There are a few major bugs with that version too and a couple of missing skills (pass block, ball and chain) but the new version coming out soon should fix most of that. The community on fumbbl is pretty solid too.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #260
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm a big fan of Twilight Imperium and it's expansion, Shattered Empire.
I just bought TI3. Looking to learn how to play, and find interested players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...-third-edition

Twilight Imperium Third Edition is an epic empire-building game of interstellar conflict, trade, and struggle for power. Players take the roles of ancient galactic civilizations, each seeking to seize the imperial throne via warfare, diplomacy, and technological progression. With geomorphic board tiles, exquisite plastic miniatures, hundreds of cards, and introducing a rich set of strategic dimensions that allows each player to refocus their game-plan, the original designer Christian T. Petersen has seamlessly incorporated the better qualities of other recently popular games to improve on the game-play of the original TI, making it at once perfectly well-rounded and pleasantly familiar to experienced gamers.

TI3 is played by at least three players who belong to ten possible alien races, each with their own advantages and quirks. The 'designer notes' in the rulebook candidly and humbly acknowledge the inspiration for some of the improvements to the original game. The strategic game-play borrows the governing element from 'Puerto Rico' to involve players in an iteratively complex and yet fast-paced game experience with very little downtime. The game map, basic player progress and overall victory are dynamically determined in almost exactly the same way as they are by imaginative players of 'Settlers of Catan', while the "Command" system cleverly improves on the 'oil' logistical mechanism of 'Attack' to both manage turn-based activity and limit the size of armies, uniquely enabling weakened players to bounce back if they play their cards right.

The rule book:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ff...3/ti3rules.pdf

A series of tutorials on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zCM...feature=relmfu
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: