Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #481
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conan is really the only one I watch. His remotes are hilarious.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #482
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I like Fallon, but his stuff can be predictable, and at times, full on planned. You can see it unraveling according to plan to the point where you can guess the punch lines. I am no comedian, so that's saying something if I can guess the punchline. Some of it is still enjoyable, but I think it lacks spontaneity.

One of the best moments I can remember on any show was when Conan was doing a skit, one of the skits where it was a picture slideshow of some outing he and Max and/or Andy went on and he would narrate the pictures. Early on in the bit, something went wrong and they couldn't get the pictures to show on the screen, so Conan had to fill the time by ad libbing. He ended up doing a strip tease, where he got on top of his desk and danced. It was hysterical, made even more funny because you know it was just Conan riffing because something went wrong. Completely unplanned. I think it's why his remotes are great, because it's him just going somewhere to be funny and see what happens.

I wish shows allowed things to happen naturally, would be way more funny.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #483
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I like Fallon, but his stuff can be predictable, and at times, full on planned. You can see it unraveling according to plan to the point where you can guess the punch lines. I am no comedian, so that's saying something if I can guess the punchline. Some of it is still enjoyable, but I think it lacks spontaneity.

One of the best moments I can remember on any show was when Conan was doing a skit, one of the skits where it was a picture slideshow of some outing he and Max and/or Andy went on and he would narrate the pictures. Early on in the bit, something went wrong and they couldn't get the pictures to show on the screen, so Conan had to fill the time by ad libbing. He ended up doing a strip tease, where he got on top of his desk and danced. It was hysterical, made even more funny because you know it was just Conan riffing because something went wrong. Completely unplanned. I think it's why his remotes are great, because it's him just going somewhere to be funny and see what happens.

Obviously everyone's mileage may vary, but for my money nothing matches Late Night with Conan, even the current Conan. The Clutch Cargo bits, GE Satellite, all of the skits with Max and the writers, If They Mated, Actual Items, and on and on... Consistently unique

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #484
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #485
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #486
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

CBS isn’t worried about Stephen Colbert’s Late Show ratings

http://www.avclub.com/article/cbs-is...e-show--230641
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #487
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 AM   #488
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 02-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #489
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #490
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #491
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post

Agreed. I miss Conan's Late Show.

He was at his best during the writers strike IMO. Everything was so low-brow and hilarious. How long can he spin his wedding ring on his desk. Getting a physicist as a guest to help him spin it longer. The zip line from the top of the audience. Just top notch stuff.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #492
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #493
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Agreed. I miss Conan's Late Show.

He was at his best during the writers strike IMO. Everything was so low-brow and hilarious. How long can he spin his wedding ring on his desk. Getting a physicist as a guest to help him spin it longer. The zip line from the top of the audience. Just top notch stuff.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. During the writer's strike you could really see which hosts were just all delivery who relied on their writers a lot. I always liked Colbert, but man was he struggling during that period, you could tell he knew it too. His trademark confidence looked like it was taking a hit.

Conan's background as a writer really shone through during that time, I think I actually preferred him during the strike. He was just going straight off the wall with crazy ideas, it was great.

Really wish they could somehow move him back out east, he's just not the same in L.A. I bet he would go back in a second if he could.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #494
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. During the writer's strike you could really see which hosts were just all delivery who relied on their writers a lot. I always liked Colbert, but man was he struggling during that period, you could tell he knew it too. His trademark confidence looked like it was taking a hit.

Conan's background as a writer really shone through during that time, I think I actually preferred him during the strike. He was just going straight off the wall with crazy ideas, it was great.

Really wish they could somehow move him back out east, he's just not the same in L.A. I bet he would go back in a second if he could.
He had the choice when he accepted the TBS contract, but stated he wanted to stay in LA.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #495
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, didn't realize that. I just remember when he was back on the Tonight Show, a couple different guests casually mentioned knowing he wasn't happy there. But maybe he's settled in since then.

I know he's a loyal guy, and ensured all his staff were retained and came with him when he made the move to LA. Maybe he didn't want to do that to them again just over a year later, and his staff and families are happy in California? Who knows..

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-24-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #496
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's probably easier getting big guests in LA than in New York against Fallon and Colbert. Still seems most big stars pick Jommy Kimmel's show over Conan
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #497
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It's probably easier getting big guests in LA than in New York against Fallon and Colbert. Still seems most big stars pick Jommy Kimmel's show over Conan
Jommy is my fave.

More photos on Flickr
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #498
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oldie, when he came to TBS.

More photos on Flickr
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #499
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Conan is the king of improv.... I don't think anyone tops him.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #500
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, unfortunately most don't want that or care about it anymore. Our stupid society is all about massively prepared and set up bits fit for a one minute view on youtube.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote