Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2023, 02:07 PM   #1921
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Make my home look like a Squished Haunted House please.
Its worse in real life. The photos don't do it justice.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:08 PM   #1922
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So more new communities on the edge, and growth to communities even farther out?
Literally the opposite of what I want.

I mean, at least these towers aren't going in friggin' Shawnessy or something. But I'd still rather they be closer to the core. I don't believe for a minute that the vast majority of the people living in those towers aren't going to be car commuters, just because of where in the city they're situated.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:09 PM   #1923
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
You guys got to drive by this abortion of an infill. Bizarre zoning. Clearly some old legacy approval but the house on the left is bizarrely set back has a garage behind the new one somehow.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...lgary-richmond

the realtor knows its an abortion and has photoshopped the houses out that are 4 inches on either side.

I don't know if I want to live in it or get fataed by it.

The image is a rendering, so I guess that makes more sense. It looks like a 50" lot divided in 2 by the guy on the left, who also built the garage at the same time.

https://goo.gl/maps/vTtSAey8kfpVQB5s9

Bizarre stuff going on back there. The construction looks...bad, with the OSB painted fascia on the garage and things just not looking right no the house. Added bonus of the neighbour's downspout.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:10 PM   #1924
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
There have been dozens and maybe even more of these built recently. Builders repeat build these designs by John Trinh and slightly change a finish or two.

I've even seen an application where they submitted the previous lot's plans from a few blocks over and just crossed out the old address. Not a single change.

Imagine owning a new infill home and driving down the street past the exact same thing.
Unless you're going custom hasn't this always been the case? My childhood home in Edgemont had 3 other houses of the same design (and even the same paint and stucco colour combination) within a few streets radius. The home I just sold in Valley Ridge had the same design and layout in several homes across the community.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:12 PM   #1925
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

I mean, at least these towers aren't going in friggin' Shawnessy or something. But I'd still rather they be closer to the core. I don't believe for a minute that the vast majority of the people living in those towers aren't going to be car commuters, just because of where in the city they're situated.
Do you think people who bought condos in Seton are more likely to commute downtown, or work in and around the area, like the hospital?

I'd suspect most people buying these ones will work at Rockyview or nearby.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:13 PM   #1926
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Not everyone that doesn't live in the core needs to commute to the core. You need to densify more inner rings of the city too and provide diversified options. 80% population in multi-family in the central core and 20% in single family spread across the rest of the region isn't realistic.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #1927
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Calgary desperately needs a bunch of semi-self contained communities spread throughout the city. Putting density and commercial space only in the core and having the rest be suburbia is a logistics nightmare. Calgary's population is only going to grow. Any and all kind of development in close proximity to transit should be heavily encouraged.

Calgary's urban design mandate shifted to TOD (Transit Oriented Design) ~10-20 years ago. TOD focuses on creating high density clusters around transit stations. It's the only realistic option for densification in calgary.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:15 PM   #1928
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you think people who bought condos in Seton are more likely to commute downtown, or work in and around the area, like the hospital?

I'd suspect most people buying these ones will work at Rockyview or nearby.
It's about 3000 people. How many people can possibly work at the Glenmore Landing McDonalds?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #1929
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^lol.
Quote:
Yes. As in, both. At this point, people are buying what they can afford, which isn't much, but it gets more feasible the further out of the inner city you go.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #1930
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The image is a rendering, so I guess that makes more sense. It looks like a 50" lot divided in 2 by the guy on the left, who also built the garage at the same time.

https://goo.gl/maps/vTtSAey8kfpVQB5s9

Bizarre stuff going on back there. The construction looks...bad, with the OSB painted fascia on the garage and things just not looking right no the house. Added bonus of the neighbour's downspout.
I've never seen someone use their neighbor's property for their downspout like that. It's better for both properties to have it like that though so the water doesn't pool between the houses.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #1931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's about 3000 people. How many people can possibly work at the Glenmore Landing McDonalds?
If you were aiming for a disingenuous argument that ignores facts(even those in my post!) I don't think you could do a better job than that. You sure you aren't a politician?
Old 05-17-2023, 02:20 PM   #1932
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you were aiming for a disingenuous argument that ignores facts(even those in my post!) I don't think you could do a better job than that. You sure you aren't a politician?
Haha, well we've been over this in the other thread, and there's no need to discuss it here also. There's no way there's infrastructure for 3000 additional people there, but we'll just charge ahead anyway.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #1933
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Unless you're going custom hasn't this always been the case? My childhood home in Edgemont had 3 other houses of the same design (and even the same paint and stucco colour combination) within a few streets radius. The home I just sold in Valley Ridge had the same design and layout in several homes across the community.
I suppose, it's just in that form it was new community mass production by a fixed number of builders. Each community had it's own era and aesthetic baked into its origin.

Now it's builders reusing plans and dropping the exact same house in Altadore, Parkdale, Capital Hill, West Hillhurst, Killarney, etc. These designs/plans also aren't builder specific as other builders are buying them from the designer.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #1934
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've never seen someone use their neighbor's property for their downspout like that. It's better for both properties to have it like that though so the water doesn't pool between the houses.
From what I understood from some of the posts above, that garage behind the new home actually belongs to the next door home, so it's his own downspout on his own garage behind the new home's property. Very strange.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:40 PM   #1935
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
From what I understood from some of the posts above, that garage behind the new home actually belongs to the next door home, so it's his own downspout on his own garage behind the new home's property. Very strange.
So that house has 2 garages? How the hell did that get approved?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:42 PM   #1936
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, well we've been over this in the other thread, and there's no need to discuss it here also. There's no way there's infrastructure for 3000 additional people there, but we'll just charge ahead anyway.
The city's current view is density beyond all, infrastructure capacity be damned.

Just wait for gridlock on 33rd in Marda Loop when the 18 story Co-op tower goes up.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #1937
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, the downspout is a 3rd unrelated house. When I said "the left" I meant from the front. It looks like the garages were built at the same time, so just guessing, the guy owned the lot 50' lot, torn down the bungalow, subdivided, built his place on one half, and the second garage as well. Then later sold the empty lot with the garage included.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #1938
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The Properties in Pump Hill have always been set up to be as isolating as possible. Lots of large tress. Many on set back driveways.

Glenmore Landing itself is already a major eyesore. My great grandparents lived nearby there, and we would visit them in the 80/90s, and not much has changed in there since. Anything to get that place going is a positive.

Yeah, thats why thinking some towers there is going to be an eyesore is such a weird complaint. The only way you see them from a house in Pump Hill or even Haysboro is if you take a drone and fly it up really high.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #1939
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
The city's current view is density beyond all, infrastructure capacity be damned.

Just wait for gridlock on 33rd in Marda Loop when the 18 story Co-op tower goes up.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:57 PM   #1940
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

Maybe they can make it a car free development? Traffic is already a nightmare and has been for a long time. We lived beside the South Calgary Community Centre and later at the north end of River Park about 15 years ago and 33rd was a disaster at that time. My mom lives just down the street from OJs so I'm still in the area a fair bit and there is no way that traffic flow can be improved. The intersections at 22 street and 33/34 Ave need to blown up redeveloped into something that can manage all the cars better.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 05-17-2023 at 03:06 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote