Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #1901
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only wish Marvel Superheroes was more appropriately priced for the next gen systems considering there's nothing special about it compared to any other version.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #1902
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

So many people see that tablet gamepad controller for the Wii U, and they assume it's just a Wii accessory.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #1903
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I wouldn't be so sure - N64 and Gamecube underperformed but they weren't outright disasters. Wii U has been a train wreck so far.
Actually at the time both the N64 and Gamecube were considered disasters. Both had people wondering if this was Nintendo's Atari moment (N64) and then Sega moment (Gamecube), where they left the hardware industry. They had lean years in those times and took losses.

They also always rebounded with releases of 1st party games and their handhelds. I would definitely wait before proclaiming their death is nigh. I'd suspect Microsoft pulls out of the console race before Nintendo. Hell, they've already spoken about it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #1904
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
its too bad, Mario 3D world is an awesome game people just don't know about it
Oh man I just picked up a Wii U with 3D mario and it is AWESOME
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #1905
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Major nelson is claiming just over 3 million sales as of January 6

http://majornelson.com/2014/01/06/xb...ions-consoles/

plus the new One controller for titanfall

http://majornelson.com/2014/01/15/controller-post/
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #1906
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Actually at the time both the N64 and Gamecube were considered disasters. Both had people wondering if this was Nintendo's Atari moment (N64) and then Sega moment (Gamecube), where they left the hardware industry. They had lean years in those times and took losses.

They also always rebounded with releases of 1st party games and their handhelds. I would definitely wait before proclaiming their death is nigh. I'd suspect Microsoft pulls out of the console race before Nintendo. Hell, they've already spoken about it.
Personally I feel Microsoft will be the last man standing as they are looking past just a gaming device and I think the days of a a straight game console will come to an end. Sony's long term future is cloudy and Nintendo primarily makes their money from handhelds and first party software. The Wii was the first console since the SNES to win any sort of hardware race but the troubling thing about the Wii was that most of its sales were in the first few years and then it just collapsed and Nintendo's response was to offer more of the same thing in the Wii that already lost steam. The Wii U is for all intents and purposes dead barely a year after arrival and one of the biggest console flops in decades.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't get out of the console business and become a 3rd party developer for Microsoft and Sony consoles. They would sell so much more software if they did this and wouldn't have to absorb all these hardware losses.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #1907
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nintendo making jump into smart devices?

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/18/...artphone-move/
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #1908
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think people would still be lining up for PS4's in January. December holiday rush maybe, but January still?

https://twitter.com/search?q=best%20...ypd&f=realtime

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #1909
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Personally I feel Microsoft will be the last man standing as they are looking past just a gaming device and I think the days of a a straight game console will come to an end. Sony's long term future is cloudy and Nintendo primarily makes their money from handhelds and first party software. The Wii was the first console since the SNES to win any sort of hardware race but the troubling thing about the Wii was that most of its sales were in the first few years and then it just collapsed and Nintendo's response was to offer more of the same thing in the Wii that already lost steam. The Wii U is for all intents and purposes dead barely a year after arrival and one of the biggest console flops in decades.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't get out of the console business and become a 3rd party developer for Microsoft and Sony consoles. They would sell so much more software if they did this and wouldn't have to absorb all these hardware losses.
lol last man standing? PS4 and Sony isn't going anywhere...PS4 is already ahead and if they could keep up with demand they would be miles ahead. Both consoles will do relatively well and sony has some new awesome features coming with their game streaming service.

Watching cable TV on xbox is not going to put sony out of the console business...come on now

Last edited by dino7c; 01-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #1910
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol last man standing? PS4 and Sony isn't going anywhere...PS4 is already ahead and if they could keep up with demand they would be miles ahead. Both consoles will do relatively well and sony has some new awesome features coming with their game streaming service.

Watching cable TV on xbox is not going to put sony out of the console business...come on now
He's talking past these consoles about the future, and I've heard that opinion elsewhere. My issue with it, is that at this current junction with the two consoles aren't differentiated so much that the next playstation would have much catching up to do. If multimedia consumption becomes intertwined with gaming like some think, is a small change for Sony
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #1911
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When I refer to Sony I'm referring to the long term future of the company not just their gaming division. They have been haemorrhaging for years now and its very possible they go bankrupt in the next few years if they can't turn things around quickly.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #1912
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/0...-one-mentions/

The line between traditional, paid advertising and organic editorial content on the Internet can sometimes be hazy. A recent stealth promotional campaign between Microsoft and Machinima highlights just how hazy that line has become, and how behind-the-scenes payments can drive ostensibly independent opinion-mongering on by users on services like YouTube.

This weekend, word started leaking of a new promotion offering Machinima video partners an additional $3 CPM (i.e., $3 per thousand video views) for posting videos featuring Xbox One content.

These kinds of payments aren't inherently suspect in and of themselves. If the video makers disclosed that Microsoft was paying extra for these videos, and if they were allowed to say whatever they wanted in those videos, then the whole thing could be seen as merely an unorthodox way to increase exposure for the Xbox One on YouTube.

That's not the case, however. According to a leaked copy of the full legal agreement behind the promotion, video creators "may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its Games" and must keep the details of the promotional agreement confidential in order to qualify for payment. In other words, to get the money, video makers have to speak positively (or at least neutrally) about the Xbox One, and they can't say they're being paid to do so.

The arrangement as described might go against the FTC's guidelines for the use of endorsements in advertising, which demand full disclosure when there is "a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement." The document offers a specific example of a video game blogger who gets a free game system that he later talks about on his blog. That blogger would need to disclose that gift, the FTC says, because his opinion is "disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the advertiser is not inherently obvious." That same reasoning would seem to apply to the opinions expressed by the video makers participating in this promotion. Neither Microsoft nor Machinima responded immediately to a request for comment on the matter, but we'll let you know if and when we hear from them.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1913
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It appears as though shipments of the ps4 might be trickling in. Just got a call about my preorder. That took quite a bit longer than I anticipated. Good times though.

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #1914
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When I refer to Sony I'm referring to the long term future of the company not just their gaming division. They have been haemorrhaging for years now and its very possible they go bankrupt in the next few years if they can't turn things around quickly.
My understanding is they were in the black last year (2012) and they expect to turn a bigger profit this year. Nothing compared to what MS is doing, but still the days of losing tons of money are gone.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #1915
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingLonghorn View Post
My understanding is they were in the black last year (2012) and they expect to turn a bigger profit this year. Nothing compared to what MS is doing, but still the days of losing tons of money are gone.
They also have certain areas that make profits that they could easily branch off and cut some of the non-profitable divisions before they go bankrupt.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #1916
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingLonghorn View Post
While their year end isn't for a few months, it's not looking great. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/te...erly-loss.html

It will be interesting to see if the PS4 can make them profitable for the year, or if their inability to meet demand hurts them.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1917
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
While their year end isn't for a few months, it's not looking great. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/te...erly-loss.html

It will be interesting to see if the PS4 can make them profitable for the year, or if their inability to meet demand hurts them.
They definitely need to get out of the movie business.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #1918
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They definitely need to get out of the movie business.
Yah no kidding, and while they're at it return the rights for Spider-man back to Marvel =/
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #1919
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I hope Sony stays in the handheld market though. The Vita sales aren't great but that system is so great!

(Holding out hope here!)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #1920
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Microsoft paying for endorsements (and telling people to keep it quiet about it) news item is starting to spread.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20892...orsements.html

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advis...201054010.html

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...e-it-pay-play/

http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft...e-269274.phtml

Even Polygon has reported on it:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/20/532...-one-machinima