Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #1881
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Not to mention Inglewood to the east, which is the same walking distance from Saddledome to midpoint of 17th ave (4ST W). The location is in centre of pedestrian areas.
Fits this branding perfectly..

http://www.musicmile.ca/
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #1882
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Keeping it alive while saying it is absolutely not feasible, and no actual work is going on, and hasn't for some time, seems to be to humour Ken King, or let him save face, or something.
Well, maybe it is just to keep the door open just in case the ownership group makes it feasible by contributing a whole lot more money into it.. closer to 100%? I am sure that at that point, CalgaryNext would definitely be worked on.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #1883
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Well, maybe it is just to keep the door open just in case the ownership group makes it feasible by contributing a whole lot more money into it.. closer to 100%? I am sure that at that point, CalgaryNext would definitely be worked on.
Regardless of money, the problem with CalgaryNEXT is that it needs a ton of time and effort just to get it to a place where they can start building the complex. It would need a significant amount of effort just in terms of remediation and possible infrastructure re-alignment to get it moving. You're probably looking at a couple of years just to get it ready.

Victoria Park on the other hand is basically a dirt lot ready to be built on. All they have to do is move that beautiful tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #1884
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not dead, but...
Quote:
Annalise Klingbeil @AnnaliseAK

"Whether we'll ever return to CalgaryNEXT or not, I do not know," Ken King says. #yyccc
Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #1885
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Funding models aside - what are peoples opinion on the trade-off between the two projects? Obviously the funding model is a critical component, but this is also the most negotiable component. For me the two projects break down as follows:

Victoria Park
Benefits:
1. In conjunction with the Green line, access to this location from throughout the city is far better than the any alternative proposed.

2. Easiest path (likely fastest) to a new arena. Based on the presentation today and the size of area allocated, this would be a middle of road entertainment center.

3. Allows the city to develop to completion in the East before moving west.

Drawback
1. Fit for purpose design with a bit of perks to get excited about if Stampede Trail becomes a reality. Based on both size and application, this arena lacks the flare factor.

2. Limited traffic at the arena/event center outside of events (much like the saddle dome). Outside of a few extra concerts per year, I don't think there will be regular traffic at this facility. I suspect this will affect the viability of the stampede trail businesses.

Calgary Next:

Benefits
1. Despite what this thread has deteriorated the project too; in terms of facilities and amenities, this is a well thought out project attempting to capture a number of different sporting and entertainment facilities and applications. The actual idea behind Calgary Next as a facility is something that would be easy to get excited about.

2. Consistent traffic through the facility will also improve the viability of a surrounding entertainment district and central gathering place.

Drawbacks
1. In addition to the environmental clean-up, currently the only planned public transportation station is Sunalta (going east-west only). The additional road traffic modifications required around Bow Trail and Crowchild trail is a massive undertaking.

2. There is a risk that a renewed financial focus on West Village will leave two partially completed projects 20 years down the road.

Does this more or less capture it for most, or are there key positives and drawbacks that I am missing on both projects? Am I misleading in my analysis?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #1886
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

King on 960 says city still needs to convince them (CSEC) that Victoria Park will become an entertainment district.

Maybe a bit of a double standard? Not so sure he was able to prove that with CalgaryNEXT.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #1887
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
King on 960 says city still needs to convince them (CSEC) that Victoria Park will become an entertainment district.

Maybe a bit of a double standard? Not so sure he was able to prove that with CalgaryNEXT.
What? Why does the City have to convince them of anything?

Making it an 'Entertainment District' seems very much like 'Not the city's problem.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #1888
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't that part of town pretty much already an entertainment district?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #1889
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

CSEC needs convincing that an area with the National Music Centre, a new arena, a developed East Village, and the library would become an entertainment district?

Really?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #1890
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #1891
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the size of the wings new arena. Would something like it fit here. I think it looks amazing from the pictures.

What could we have as a compatible with this sized land?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #1892
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Maybe he has big plans for turning Mewata into the city's most decrepit nightclub? Something to do in the skatepark in the middle of winter? I'm not sure how well Sunalta Community Center is doing these days, but I'm sure there's room for another bingo a week.

Every time he opens his mouth lately...

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #1893
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
What's the size of the wings new arena. Would something like it fit here. I think it looks amazing from the pictures.

What could we have as a compatible with this sized land?
The Prudential Center in Newark is almost exactly the same size as the two blocks being discussed in Victoria Park. It not only has the NHL arena, it also has the Devils practice rink in that footprint.

The total size of the footprint in Detroit appears to be slightly wider than what's being discussed for Calgary, but that includes stuff outside of the arena proper. The arena itself would fit.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #1894
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Victoria Park

Drawback

2. Limited traffic at the arena/event center outside of events (much like the saddle dome). Outside of a few extra concerts per year, I don't think there will be regular traffic at this facility. I suspect this will affect the viability of the stampede trail businesses.

Calgary Next:

Benefits
2. Consistent traffic through the facility will also improve the viability of a surrounding entertainment district and central gathering place.

Does this more or less capture it for most, or are there key positives and drawbacks that I am missing on both projects? Am I misleading in my analysis?
The boxed-in nature of the West Village (moreso than Victoria Park), poorer transit access, and the size of the footprint of the facility on the land to be developed means there isn't much to develop beyond the facility. Hardly a great place to gather. Tracks to the south, 14th to the East, and Bow Trail create a lot less flow than Victoria Park which has better access across the tracks (not great, but better) but has much better access to and from the Beltline via 11th and 12th Ave and is still very walkable from 17th. A lot more room for flow to build up a district around it that builds off surrounding neighborhoods.

The Fieldhouse won't provide much additional traffic, certainly not the kind that would be beneficial for an entertainment district, so I don't know what makes CalgaryNEXT more condusive to an entertainment district than the Victoria Park location that has the vested interest of the CMLC and Stampede along with the Flames. The biggest hinderance to any development of that area has been the Stampede and the dinosaurs who run it, which is where the CMLC comes in. Much better chance of things being done than if CSEC go at it alone.

Last edited by Roughneck; 04-24-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Had an unfinished thought
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #1895
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Completely irrational, but I'm finding that I would be a lot more on the Flames side if Ken King would dispense with the snark. It is getting really tiresome listening to all his little snipes and barbs. And his general sense of entitlement to my tax $. And no, Nenshi ain't much better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #1896
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King on the radio: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...king-big-show/
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #1897
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the new facilities include practice rinks, correct? I know Edmonton does (have seen it). Presumably to allow for greater flexibility for the main rink.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #1898
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That Nenshi video has me pretty angry, and it's mostly directed towards the Flames. I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years now and have had to listen to Ken King's BS about the new stadium each and every year at appreciation events, and finally after 8 years it appears that an actual real conversation is starting to occur between the City and the Flames and it's going to take years to wade through this before shovels are in the ground.

How is it again Ken King still has a job? To my understanding it was his mandate to get a new stadium built and it has taken him 8 friggen years just to get to a point where the two sides are talking when these conversations should have been the first point of contact between the the City and the Flames.

I've heard people say over the years that the project is probably much further along then we probably know and that the Flames and the City were just doing it behind closed doors. I actually don't believe that at all this point. I actually think today marks the first date where the two are probably actually on the same page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #1899
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
CSEC needs convincing that an area with the National Music Centre, a new arena, a developed East Village, and the library would become an entertainment district?

Really?
It sure isn't now. Take a spin by there after 5:30 pm or on the weekend. Not a single person in sight.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #1900
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Isn't that part of town pretty much already an entertainment district?
His point was that outside of stampede and hockey games, there was no draw for people to go to that area.

He implied that CSEC needed that area to draw people beyond just those events.
Closed Thread