Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2024, 07:58 AM   #18621
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Did the UCP make any changes to PAC rules? I didn't think they did anything and the rules haven't been touched since the NDP were in power. The UCP did up the spending limit of candidates in municipal elections though.

Quote:
Alberta’s former NDP government banned corporations and unions from donating directly to political campaigns — provincially in 2015 and municipally in 2018. But that had the unintended consequence of redirecting those funds towards PACs, which are able to bombard social media with messages of support for their favourite candidates and issues.
Under the NDP, PACs didn’t have to disclose their donors until six months after the election, but municipalities could pass a bylaw to require earlier disclosure.

After the UCP came to power in 2019, they took the gloves off PACs — prohibiting municipalities from requiring early disclosure, allowing PACs to raise unlimited sums of money outside the six-month election period and then establishing a $30,000 cap on donations per PAC.

This cap was decried as “exorbitant” by Mount Royal University political scientist Lori Williams. “It’s much larger than we’ve seen historically and the implications are difficult to calculate,” she told The Sprawl.
https://pressprogress.ca/the-battle-...ipal-election/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 08:25 AM   #18622
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Became a member of a political party for the first time just now!
Old 03-15-2024, 09:30 AM   #18623
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know that he UCP are going to boot Danielle 6 months before the elction, bring someone new is with a little notoriety and not too much baggage like Nathan Cooper, and then they will get back on their old bull#### as soon as the election is over.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:41 AM   #18624
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
I spoke to someone involved in power investments from a well known company. They are keen to develop renewables, have a good investment profile already in the space and strong balance sheet. They are legit, and have interest in multiple jurisdictions, Alberta has basically been eliminated from contention for investments. This is a massive change in their approach on where to invest in 12 months.
My daughter works for a company involved partly in renewables (that is a large part of their Alberta business). HQ is in Ontario with a very small Alberta office in Calgary that was slated for expansion last year, all good paying STEM jobs. The company has put the brakes on that expansion as a result of the uncertainty the past 6 months has brought to the industry.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 09:47 AM   #18625
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
You just know that he UCP are going to boot Danielle 6 months before the elction, bring someone new is with a little notoriety and not too much baggage like Nathan Cooper, and then they will get back on their old bull#### as soon as the election is over.
I hope Nenshi / the NDP Leader publicly call this out a year before election time - that Albertans will start seeing the UCP making centrist moves and promises in order to appeal to a wider base - then change their agenda after the election (should they win), just like they always do.

Publicly call out the UCP's #### and put them in a metaphorical 'glass test tube' for everyone to watch them like an experiment. Make it awkward for them to promise anything.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM   #18626
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The donation cap is a good thing right? Before the $30k limit there was no cap established by the NDP.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:38 AM   #18627
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Knowing these clowns they'll try to 'Weekend at Bernie's' Ralph Klein.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:32 AM   #18628
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Basically what On the Clock was, really

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #18629
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
LOL. i'm sure these deplorable hate Ralph Klein as much as Nenshi!

They'll do it with Preston Manning!
Old 03-15-2024, 11:59 AM   #18630
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

God, I despise the idea of political parties in municipal elections. It makes zero sense.

I honestly can't think of a single proposal Smith has done that I thought was horrible; not even sensible. Just straight up #### policy.

Kenney? sure, i could find sensibilities in policies. I might not have agreed, but i could see the logic. Hell, throwing 10 bill into debt was something i was totally fine with.

This government is just downright awful.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:50 PM   #18631
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
God, I despise the idea of political parties in municipal elections. It makes zero sense.

I honestly can't think of a single proposal Smith has done that I thought was horrible; not even sensible. Just straight up #### policy.

Kenney? sure, i could find sensibilities in policies. I might not have agreed, but i could see the logic. Hell, throwing 10 bill into debt was something i was totally fine with.

This government is just downright awful.
I'm not smart enough to understand all the power generation stuff in this province but on the surface and at first glance the new rules announced this week regarding economic withholding might be good, or at least not horrible.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:29 PM   #18632
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not smart enough to understand all the power generation stuff in this province but on the surface and at first glance the new rules announced this week regarding economic withholding might be good, or at least not horrible.
The proposed changes to the market design are generally a good thing. The day ahead market scheme is used in other places and has generally produced good results and will get rid of the economic withholding shenanigans. One could argue that it was going away anyways now that Cascade is up and running.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:07 PM   #18633
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
Alberta pension plan, Alberta police force, outing trans kids, municipal partisanship. All things no one asked for. I’m not sure if they’re purposefully being obtuse or if they’re actually just dumb.
They don't care what Albertans want. Doesn't matter if those Albertans voted for them or not. They do what they want and then remind people about lightbulbs and everyone says they can't take a chance on the NDP and the UCP has learned their lesson and will do better next time.

Life in Alberta...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:49 PM   #18634
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You can add two more ANDP newbies to the list and we’re even rural bumpkins (I think ours is the only non-UCP riding that has rural areas too, so this mess isn’t our fault!). I’m not the hugest fan of Nesnhi, but he is honest and will do everything he can to make Alberta better. I actually felt similarly about Notely, but I believe Nenshi is who this province needs to hold the boneheads accountable.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 03:07 PM   #18635
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a new member, do the emails from the mailing list ever subside, or do I need to unsubscribe?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 03:28 PM   #18636
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
As a new member, do the emails from the mailing list ever subside, or do I need to unsubscribe?
You should unsubscribe
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 09:44 PM   #18637
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Here's a guess on what that will look like.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762905814749053122
The fear mongering here was really strong. The real map has been released:

Old 03-15-2024, 09:49 PM   #18638
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That's not bad actually. Totally reasonable and makes complete sense.

Probably one of the better new strategies this government has come up with. After this, they may cement themselves as one of the best conservative governments in the last century.

We may have finally singlehandedly solved the energy crisis in this province. Who knew a giant fan on an empty piece of land could cause so much heartache and misery?

I just shake my head why this wasn't done any sooner.

Shame on previous UCP governments for not finding this solution sooner.

This essentially solves the housing crisis, homelessness, high taxes, inflation, healthcare, and education all at once.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:11 PM   #18639
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fear mongering here was really strong. The real map has been released:

You understand how completely arbitrary this is, right?

The best wind resource and closest proximity to new transmission infrastructure is in the prohibited area.

Curiously, this map also lines up quite closely with the big UCP donors.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:19 PM   #18640
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank god they carved out an exception for those BEAUTIFUL coal mines in that buffer zone.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote