Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #1841
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a huge fan of this timeline where the Richest Man In The World is also the Most Divorced Man In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #1842
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Chapelle lost me when he called himself the GOAT. Get over yourself.
Was never a fan, but I dislike him now as he is making excuses for anti-semitism and then invites a racist onto his stage.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #1843
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Shouldn't Elon be at the office with the other hardcores working and sleeping?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #1844
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 12-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #1845
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Gul Muskat is just Perfect.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #1846
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm yeah Musk seems like he got his feelings hurt and has to lash out.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1602278477234728960
Old 12-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #1847
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Getting booed = woke.

Or in other words, I'm not the problem, everybody else is.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #1848
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Honestly I don't get the Chappelle hype since his comeback. It's more of a soapbox than a standup set, that's not my style of comedian.
I still like him, but of the six mediocre specials he's done in the last few years, he could have trimmed the fat off each of them and just had two or three really good ones instead
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #1849
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Holy ####, Elon is the most insufferable idiot out there.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #1850
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Chapelle lost me when he called himself the GOAT. Get over yourself.
Chappelle is on a whole other tier of comedians that only holds a few others (Carlin, Hicks, Pryor). And besides, the quote was more along the lines of "some consider the GOAT", so he wasn't claiming to be it.

I'm a fan and think he is quite brilliant. However, as someone hinted at in another thread it feels like Chappelle overapplies the Black lense in his comedy and observations to the point that it seems like he's dismissive of things like anti-semitism and anti-LGBTQ+ attitudes. I understand what he's saying and the point he's making, but I'm also sometimes left scratching my ear and thinking "yeah, ok...but". Other times it feels like he's trolling.

I'd be very interested in finding out the purpose of bringing Musk on stage and what bit he had planned, but right now it's a pretty big 'yikes' from this fan.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #1851
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chappelle has been the target of 'the woke crowd' because of his trans jokes. It's been unsuccessful since he still keeps getting those Netflix specials, but Musk probably felt that a Chappelle crowd would be a friendly, 'non-woke', crowd.

I think the purpose was to soak in the applause and adulation and have his ego stroked as he tells a couple canned jokes because he's obviously a funny guy, Jordan Peterson said so. Dave would get to get in good with the "richest man int he world." Why they thought this is because Musk is in a bubble, and frankly so is Chappelle, so I don't think either of them have a grasp on what the general populace feels about him.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #1852
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Chappelle is garbage now, has been for years. He was brilliant, but let his comeback go to his head. He jumped on a 100 foot pedestal and started using his comedy to look way down and condemn and lecture the common folk.

"Hey, imma wreck the trans community relentlessly while they attempt suicide at a >50% rate, but I'm black so it's okay as I'm approaching it from a different perspective than hateful white people".

"Hey, anti semitism is okay, imma start hammering on that too, but I'm back so it's okay, I'm approaching it from a different perceptive than you white people". I get the perspective and the brilliance that Yamer sees, but Chappelle's problem is he leans on it as a career crutch now. Not to mention he clearly just loves the attention at this point. He just wakes up each day and sees what new way he can offend and enrage "the woke mob".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #1853
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And that's exactly what the Musk appearance was, it was Chappelle living in a bubble of other rich, anti woke idiots and has lost the plot on even his own ****ing fans. He literally doesn't even know his own fans anymore or why they like him, he only knows his quest to troll and enrage to get attention...his new fame.

I loved seeing his genuine confusion and anger at his own fans to the point where he literally slammed them for being in the cheap seats at his own show! What a clown he's become.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-12-2022 at 10:53 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:54 AM   #1854
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It's funny to see the parallels between Chappelle and Musk.

Both bought into their own fanboy cult hype and started to believe they are way better than they really are. In reality they're both raging hate POS lunatics. They're so insulated by their wealth and fame, they can't see how utterly reviled they are by most of the population.

They also feed on hating their own obsessive fanbase and constantly treating them like garbage. They're like abusers who feed on their victim's obsession with getting abused more. It's pretty messed up actually.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:23 AM   #1855
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Admittedly I'm increasingly suspect of Chappelle after the past few months where he has taken a keener interest in advocating or defending people like Kanye and Musk rather than admonishing their abhorrent behavior or even, just say, doing nothing at all.

I've consumed as much Chappelle content as any fanboy out there. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, but: what specifically has Chappelle said or done that was explicitly transphobic or anti-Semitic?

Is it just that he made jokes about trans persons that is bothersome? Or is there something I missed in the actual content that is damaging? I re-watch his specials routinely when the mood strikes me (fanboy!) and tried to pick out something that was hateful, and I couldn't. Have I overlooked something?

I didn't believe he was 'normalizing' anti-Semitism with his monologue on SNL, but I did think the point he was making was weak. We're barely 2 years removed from massive BLM protests, guy. He's defending a friend he probably doesn't need to defend, and he's showcasing another nutcase because he's highlight "civil unrest" or something? Those things I'm not getting.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:27 AM   #1856
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chappelle still sells a lot of tickets to shows. My guess would be most of the audience is there to laugh and don't care about one way or the other about the woke stuff or do care - but still just want to laugh.

The idea though that you can just trot up some rich guy who shares your anti-woke views and people are going to cheer him makes no sense. People just want to laugh at a comedy show. They don't want some un funny guy going up there for whatever reason.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #1857
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Chappelle is garbage now, has been for years. He was brilliant, but let his comeback go to his head. He jumped on a 100 foot pedestal and started using his comedy to look way down and condemn and lecture the common folk.
from his perspective as a black person, every single target is "punching upwards" and thus should be funny and fair game. not that it's easy to even compare the plight of the average LGBTQ+ or Jewish person to the average black person, but you'd think he would know that even at best punching sideways isn't going to be as universally appealing as his earlier material. but I guess $60 million in the bank tends to do that to your world view.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #1858
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stolen from Twitter

“What we are watching with Elon Musk is somebody who is too big to cancel & who doesn't give a #%*! what the haywire, anti-speech mob thinks.

It's beautiful to behold.”
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #1859
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Stolen from Twitter

“What we are watching with Elon Musk is somebody who is too big to cancel & who doesn't give a #%*! what the haywire, anti-speech mob thinks.

I don't believe that's from twitter without a Yoho tweet post. Come on now - let's hold ourselves to a higher standard.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #1860
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Stolen from Twitter

You can tell Conservatives are desperate to spin the narrative this way, but to everyone else it's glaringly obvious that Musk craves sycophantic attention and nearly all of his moves in the last few months have been chasing said attention.

Extreme Divorced Boomer Dad Whose Kids No Longer Talk To Him energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: