Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 09:50 AM   #18181
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We know Gondek is cooked...I'd kinda like to see her ride out her term performatively blaming the Danielle Smith and David Parker alliance for every single thing that happens from here on out. Which would actually be fairly close to the truth.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:58 AM   #18182
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Media framing this budget as increases in funding when it really isnt really not helpful. Not taking population growth or inflation into account is poor journalism.
That's nothing though. We're borrowing a bunch of money and they're trying to tell everyone we have a surplus and no deficit. I mean, it's completely preposterous! Misinformation is one thing, but this is just flat-out lying. "We borrowed enough money to make it to a surplus" isn't a fataing surplus. And how the media goes along with that is just completely amazing to me.

But there are so many transgressions here. They project the CAD at $0.80 by the end of the year against the USD. What are the odds of that? Then you look at their inflationary projections for 2025 and beyond and it's just plain dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I work in a field where I get asked to prognosticate and predict all the time. It's virtually impossible, and I fee their pain. But I also think that they're just foolish to give a firm target for some of these things that is reliant on a very specific scenario to actually happen. Unless they just based this on a pure shot-in-the-dark which wouldn't surprise me given most of their choices here, but I just hope that isn't the case.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:10 AM   #18183
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...130522?cmp=rss

LOL, so they snuck in a tax increase that's going to get pinned on municipalities. Good ol' Conservatives. Amazing people fall for this #### every time. But voters aren't stupid, right!?!
Yes and no. Tax rate did not increase but the amount collected rises by 12% due to the rise in property values if I understood Gondek this morning when CBC interviewed her (I stand to be corrected).

But yes it is sneaky and yes it will get pinned on the municipalities.

Overall I'm not a fan of this budget.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:21 AM   #18184
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like the Dynalife fiasco cost the province about 31 million. The 25 year deal that was supposed to save between 18 and 36 million ended after just one year.
I mean its not fake tylenol money but still.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:24 AM   #18185
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like the Dynalife fiasco cost the province about 31 million. The 25 year deal that was supposed to save between 18 and 36 million ended after just one year.
Conservatives, tearfully clapping after moments before frothing at the mouth about the Federal government being poor financial stewards: “But done with the best intentions!!!”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:26 AM   #18186
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a website or repository of the UCP's financial #### ups?

From Pipelines to Tylenol to Labs

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #18187
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's nothing though. We're borrowing a bunch of money and they're trying to tell everyone we have a surplus and no deficit. I mean, it's completely preposterous! Misinformation is one thing, but this is just flat-out lying. "We borrowed enough money to make it to a surplus" isn't a fataing surplus. And how the media goes along with that is just completely amazing to me.

But there are so many transgressions here. They project the CAD at $0.80 by the end of the year against the USD. What are the odds of that? Then you look at their inflationary projections for 2025 and beyond and it's just plain dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I work in a field where I get asked to prognosticate and predict all the time. It's virtually impossible, and I fee their pain. But I also think that they're just foolish to give a firm target for some of these things that is reliant on a very specific scenario to actually happen. Unless they just based this on a pure shot-in-the-dark which wouldn't surprise me given most of their choices here, but I just hope that isn't the case.
Can we count on you to remind us all about this borrowing to fund operations [in relatively stable economic times] as many times as you reminded us about the NDP doing it [in the midst of a precipitous economic decline that was completely out of their control]?

I'll help you keep track...this makes 1, so you probably gotta do it about 49 more times over the next 8 years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:35 AM   #18188
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's probably tough to measure the actual failure costs of their policies. Cancelling the provincial lab and the costs associated with that, as well as the unknown future savings and benefits a lab like that could have brought to Alberta are loses we'll never really know. That, and how brutal it was on the staff and patients.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:47 AM   #18189
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Can we count on you to remind us all about this borrowing to fund operations [in relatively stable economic times] as many times as you reminded us about the NDP doing it [in the midst of a precipitous economic decline that was completely out of their control]?

I'll help you keep track...this makes 1, so you probably gotta do it about 49 more times over the next 8 years.
I don't need you to grind me about this. I think its insanely stupid. But it's nice of you to acknowledge that I was right even if it's only because it's the other team doing it now.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:00 AM   #18190
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's probably tough to measure the actual failure costs of their policies. Cancelling the provincial lab and the costs associated with that, as well as the unknown future savings and benefits a lab like that could have brought to Alberta are loses we'll never really know. That, and how brutal it was on the staff and patients.
This stuff is unforgiveable. As a "fiscal conservative" like myself, health and education are everything, everything. Want to save some money, lets explore it, lets try it, but to not put in basic performance measures that if they fail to live up to so badly that WE have to pay them to F off. Bullet in the head type stuff.

I don't care about all the other moronic things she does as a self promoting hag, but making people wait a month for a blood test? Fata you Danielle, hand in your Canadian card and fist yourself. I think that is the most important part of being Canadian, that if all things go south, at least you will have reasonable health care.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:24 AM   #18191
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
This stuff is unforgiveable. As a "fiscal conservative" like myself, health and education are everything, everything. Want to save some money, lets explore it, lets try it, but to not put in basic performance measures that if they fail to live up to so badly that WE have to pay them to F off. Bullet in the head type stuff.

I don't care about all the other moronic things she does as a self promoting hag, but making people wait a month for a blood test? Fata you Danielle, hand in your Canadian card and fist yourself. I think that is the most important part of being Canadian, that if all things go south, at least you will have reasonable health care.
Self quote.

Do we know who is the head of these dynalabs? Like Arrivescan I think we need to know who is actively stealing money?

surely they have to have an company officer, bla bla.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #18192
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Also the whole televised "we're going to get off oil and gas revenues and fund the heritage fund!" - and then send out a budget that's even more reliant on oil and gas revenues.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:31 AM   #18193
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The former CEO of Dynalife is now working for a lobbying group in AB.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:31 AM   #18194
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Self quote.

Do we know who is the head of these dynalabs? Like Arrivescan I think we need to know who is actively stealing money?

surely they have to have an company officer, bla bla.
Looks like the Americans?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DynaLife#Ownership

The appropriately named sinister LabCorp.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:40 AM   #18195
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Also the whole televised "we're going to get off oil and gas revenues and fund the heritage fund!" - and then send out a budget that's even more reliant on oil and gas revenues.
The truth is, someone could hold an hour long presentation explaining all the holes and issues in this budget. And seriously, it's not even partisan. It's just pure "this is so stupid regardless of what party you support of what kind of policies you want to see implemented".

I watched Horner talk to CTV last night and I was just gob smacked. This is the finance minister and he's explaining that they're borrowing money and at the end of the day, this is a surplus budget. I don't even know if you can consider it stunning incompetence, because it's just pure fantasy.

And I'm not even sure who I find more upsetting at that point. Like Horner and Marlaina are morons, which is clear from that tact. But the media just accepts it and has their "$367m surplus" headline. Where is the integrity of these people?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:46 AM   #18196
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

And I'm not even sure who I find more upsetting at that point. Like Horner and Marlaina are morons, which is clear from that tact. But the media just accepts it and has their "$367m surplus" headline. Where is the integrity of these people?
Yup. Media doesn't have the time or resources to do much more than report the headline the government gives them unfortunately.

Exact same thing with all the media headlines about "increasing healthcare/education by x%" but then account for inflation and population growth and it's a decrease. But hey, we're spending 4% more than last year!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:58 AM   #18197
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Is there a website or repository of the UCP's financial #### ups?

From Pipelines to Tylenol to Labs
Here's a link to a Google Sheets doc that tracks all of the UCP ####ups (with source links) from 2019-2023; this was compiled by a Reddit user. There's some whoppers in there! The list is so long it's tiring:

UCP Decisions and Impacts 2019 - 2023 by Bailrs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...z2M/edit#gid=0
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:37 PM   #18198
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't need you to grind me about this. I think its insanely stupid. But it's nice of you to acknowledge that I was right even if it's only because it's the other team doing it now.
I acknowledge nothing. When you lose your job (or face a 2015 oil crash) it may make sense to incur some debt for a while instead of rashly selling all your belongings (which will just cost you more in the long run when you go to replace them).

There is no such excuse here, and the rationale is far worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 12:54 PM   #18199
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The whole Dynalife thing has such an interesting history. They have been involved since the mid 90s and lab testing has gone so many different ways. Dynalife really only survived because the folks in Edmonton actually really liked the services and testing that Dynalife provided in comparison to the hospital services from AHS.

I'm 2013, the government decided it wanted to centralized lab services and build a superlab in Edmonton and in 2014 they gave a 15 year contract to Sonic Healthcare to build that lab and take over services. Dynalife was given the booted by the PCs.

Then the NDP came along and cancelled the PC plan and brought Dynalife back into the mix. This decision cost about $3M in sunk costs and penalties. A few years later the NDP decided they want to build a superlab and it would include a buyout of Dynalife in the amount of $50M.

Then the UCP came along and cancelled the NDP superlab and we saw what happened with the expansion of lab services to Dynalife a couple years later.

This whole thing has been such a mess and political football for about 30 years now.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 02:48 PM   #18200
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Remember that time in Alberta when the powerful Oat Growers lobby group petitioned the government to put a special fuel tax on horseless carriages?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote