Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2024, 10:31 AM   #1801
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazu View Post
Give them the ol' paper bag treatment.

This is the way
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:12 PM   #1802
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it is difficult for the team to put a curtain over the mural and cover it up. I think it is just an oversight that they didn't do it earlier, and then now it is too late to act / not act on it.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:24 PM   #1803
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sureloss, Title should be changed for Cal Foote. I didn't realize both Foote brothers played for NJ.

I was reading how Foote returned to practice yesterday and thought...man that's ballsy and surprised there isn't more in the news about it; then read that it was his brother Nolan that returned to practice.

Should clearly differentiate the brothers.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:27 PM   #1804
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This art has a worse likeness than McFarlane hockey figures. This could basically anyone at all. Just paint a goatee on it or something if you really want to change who it is. Dube is supposed to be on the right.

Or even easier, the wall is white. Just put a coat of white paint on it (if there is a guilty verdict), take down the plaques. Is that hard? For now just hang a big banner over it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:17 PM   #1805
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This art has a worse likeness than McFarlane hockey figures. This could basically anyone at all. Just paint a goatee on it or something if you really want to change who it is. Dube is supposed to be on the right.

Or even easier, the wall is white. Just put a coat of white paint on it (if there is a guilty verdict), take down the plaques. Is that hard? For now just hang a big banner over it.
Doesn’t even look like Dube
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:01 PM   #1806
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Doesn’t even look like Dube
Yeah...to the casual observer if you just took the plaques down those could be anybody.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:08 AM   #1807
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How far do you want to cast your net?

School system
Parents
Coaches in minor hockey
Minor hockey associations

The internet
The doctor that delivered them

If they did the crime. They will do the time. No one forced them to do anything.

That’s why we have a legal system.
All of these played a role too and you're just being facetious about the rest.

Of course not everyone should be going to court over this.

But how else do you get culture change without everyone that contributes to said culture contributing to changing it?

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:37 AM   #1808
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
All of these played a role too and you're just being facetious about the rest.

Of course not everyone should be going to court over this.

But how else do you get culture change without everyone that contributes to said culture contributing to changing it?
People talk as if every hockey player is out roaming the street sexually assaulting people. I think if you look at the number of people who have played hockey and the number of incidents vs the same stats for the general population it would be less prevalent.

If you’re asking what I think should be done I’d say the same thing that would be done in general society. Hold the perpetrators accountable. That’s the ultimate deterrent. Humans are humans. They will always make mistakes. There have to be consequences to their actions.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #1809
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People talk as if every hockey player is out roaming the street sexually assaulting people. I think if you look at the number of people who have played hockey and the number of incidents vs the same stats for the general population it would be less prevalent.

If you’re asking what I think should be done I’d say the same thing that would be done in general society. Hold the perpetrators accountable. That’s the ultimate deterrent. Humans are humans. They will always make mistakes. There have to be consequences to their actions.
Like 'The Warriors.' Roving bands of stick wielding predators.

I would say I think the idea that Hockey players commit sexual misconducts at a higher rate than average society is a statement that would probably hold true? All else being equal?

That being said, I have dealt with countless individuals and I can relatively confidently say...I am unaware of any of them having participated in a non-consensual gang-sex arrangement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-21-2024, 12:26 PM   #1810
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no new news in this thread. No idea how it’s still finding its way to the top.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 12:26 PM   #1811
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think it would be interesting to see

a % from all people aged 17-25
a % from all males aged 17-25
a % from all professional athletes 17-25
a % from all professional hockey players 17-25
a % from all NHL hockey players aged 17-25
a % of non professional athletes aged 17-25
a % of non professional hockey players aged 17-25

I think you need to see if hockey is worse, better, the same? Are successful hockey players more likely to commit these crimes? More so than successful athletes in other sports?

Don't have an answer.

Just curious.

If we're going to fix a culture it would be smart to decide where on the tree we should hit with the axe.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 08:29 PM   #1812
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There is no new news in this thread. No idea how it’s still finding its way to the top.
Nobody’s forcing you to click into it.

Thanks AC!
Old 02-22-2024, 04:33 AM   #1813
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody’s forcing you to click into it.
And if you post in it, it tends to jump to the top of the forum. Thats weird isnt it?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 08:30 AM   #1814
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Old Hockey Men culture, in other words, has again proven to be entrenched. Same old, same old. There are times at which hockey’s part of the Canadian experience is wonderful — the sticks on porches across the country after the Humboldt tragedy, or the sold-out crowds for the new women’s professional league — but its low points never seem to amount to much.

Will the court proceedings in London eventually raise the kinds of questions that will prompt major changes? Perhaps. But it seems worth noting that at the last edition of the World Juniors this past holiday season, all the big-time corporate sponsors were back on board. Everyone seems to agree that hockey needs to change. But so long as it keeps making money for everyone — except the junior players, that is — why would it?
https://www.readtheline.ca/p/scott-s...y-culture-wont

Interesting article from Scott Stinson echoing what some posters have already pointed out in this thread. Don't want to quote the whole thing but he also goes into the facts that our system takes kids away from home at young ages and they are also providing labour for free.

Thanks AC!
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 08:41 AM   #1815
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Interesting article from Scott Stinson echoing what some posters have already pointed out in this thread. Don't want to quote the whole thing but he also goes into the facts that our system takes kids away from home at young ages and they are also providing labour for free.
No one is forced to go anywhere they dont want too.

It's a bit of a reach to even suggest that as there are other avenues to play competitive beyond major junior.

Also, how do kids from the thousands of communities across the country that dont have "local" higher level teams, plan on playing higher competition without going somewhere else to do so?
Old 02-22-2024, 09:19 AM   #1816
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Totally makes sense why these leagues/teams exist but there will be some negative effects from it for sure. and this is definitely not a new hockey thing.

My dad got sent to St. Mikes in the 40's when he was 14 to play hockey, you mature real quick, probably too quick, he said it was a mistake at 90. He didn't talk to his dad for 15 years after he turned 18 and could make his own decisions. I know probably 20 people whose kids have gone away for their bantam draft year in the past few years and every single one said it was a mistake, hockey was good though.

Weird how Tij Iginla just randomly got traded to the team where the Iginla's live. I'm sure his dad had absolutely nothing to do with it and wanted/demanded his kid be home. It's almost like he didn't want for his kid what he had to do.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:52 AM   #1817
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a big problem is the lack of adult supervision and enforcement of rules. From the stories we've heard, it sounds like these kids are let loose and allowed (or even encouraged) to conduct themselves as they want. It's like lord of flies.

I get that once they become legal adults, it's harder to control, but they should have to agree to terms and conditions for membership into elite and prestigious clubs. There should be codes of conduct to follow and if they violate them, there should be penalties severe enough to discourage it in the future.

Putting them on pedestals and making them guests of honor at adult events that are probably not age appropriate for most of them, probably doesn't help either. It probably just instills in them a feeling that normal behaviour and expectations are below them.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:23 PM   #1818
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762910527120945594
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:30 PM   #1819
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Tried as a group?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:35 PM   #1820
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Tried as a group?
I thought I saw it suggested that this would happen so the victim doesn't have to relieve the event 5 times over.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote