Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2024, 03:00 AM   #1801
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
On one hand - it sucks to see Marky want out. He was a fav of mine.

On the other it'll be exciting to see Wolf take the reigns of the net and really run with it.
Wonder if there will come a time when a bigger name UFA doesn’t want out. Who is the last one? Backlund? I don’t mean new UFAs coming in chasing money. I mean existing UFAs on the team wanting to stay.

Probably not a good trend for your organization to have no one ever wanting to stay.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:16 AM   #1802
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Wonder if there will come a time when a bigger name UFA doesn’t want out. Who is the last one? Backlund? I don’t mean new UFAs coming in chasing money. I mean existing UFAs on the team wanting to stay.

Probably not a good trend for your organization to have no one ever wanting to stay.
Winning solves a lot of those problems.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 03:17 AM   #1803
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post

Zadorov, Stone, Giordano, I guess. Slim pickings. Generally not a good idea to re-sign pending UFAs in my opinion.

Do you really want to re-sign Markstrom?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:47 AM   #1804
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'd love a huge return for Markstrom, but to me the biggest thing is moving the asset as I see that as key to truly turning the page from the old core.

Give Wolf the crease.

Increase the likelihood of not getting burned on that Montreal first.

Make year two of a rebuild obvious.

At one point Markstrom was an albatross to most that would require the insertion of a high pick to move his salary.

If his value is a little lower now than it could have been at the trade deadline I'm honestly not all that fussed about it. Just get that page turned.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:55 AM   #1805
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like an inevitability that he's going to be moved in the coming months. Anything can happen between now and the trade deadline as GM's are known to overreact after playoff losses but I don't expect a 1st round pick or a huge return as they will get back maybe a 2nd round pick and/or prospect and really that's good enough when you are in this kind of situation where it's probably best for both parties to part ways.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:58 AM   #1806
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think there is a possibility to return to NJ if a player they really like is sitting there at 10. Markstrom retained, plus the Vancouver pick seems about the right value. I think Iginla needs to be off the board so Fitz doesn't that as leverage.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 08:09 AM   #1807
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I still think there is a possibility to return to NJ if a player they really like is sitting there at 10. Markstrom retained, plus the Vancouver pick seems about the right value. I think Iginla needs to be off the board so Fitz doesn't that as leverage.
I think the bigger question is if a player NJ likes is there. If so, unlikely they trade that pick. The decision to trade that pick rests entirely with NJ.

And they'll have other options, potentially, if they decide to move that pick, like Saros and Ullmark. Since both of those players can sign extensions also on July 1, teams acquiring them could lock them up for a number of years.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:13 AM   #1808
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like a draft day deal depending on how picks turn out.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:40 AM   #1809
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel like Markstrom for Holtz + 1st is going to end up being the deal.
Flames may need to add the VAN pick or a 2nd+ to make it happen but it just seems like the biggest NEED for NJ.

There's no other "win now" goalies available with vezina capability outside of maybe Linus if he's available and with Brodeur very high on Markstrom it could help leverage the trade.

However with that said there's always a possibility that ship has sailed, but if I'm Craig I think you definitely revisit it before the draft.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM   #1810
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there are conflicting insider reports on the TDL proposal. But neither says a 2024 first was on the table - it was either a conditional 2025 first or a non-first round pick. And that was when NJ thought the first would be 6-7 spots later. I doubt they are moving the 10OA. But maybe an unprotected 2025 is available. Plus a roster player and a prospect.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:06 AM   #1811
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So there are conflicting insider reports on the TDL proposal. But neither says a 2024 first was on the table - it was either a conditional 2025 first or a non-first round pick. And that was when NJ thought the first would be 6-7 spots later. I doubt they are moving the 10OA. But maybe an unprotected 2025 is available. Plus a roster player and a prospect.
Good luck on getting that 2025 pick unprotected. You just don't see it happen all that often anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:10 AM   #1812
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Meh #### Pat Morris. He can’t eat a bag of dicks.

I hope he finds this.
Hear you....i think. But most of us would struggle with this as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:13 AM   #1813
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Good luck on getting that 2025 pick unprotected. You just don't see it happen all that often anymore.
It’s weird that protection is such a big deal. All it does is change the pick from one year to another. It’s not like the pick changes. It’s a lot better than a conditional pick.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:28 AM   #1814
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mentioned this in the Tij thread, but Playing around with the pick and salary value tool.

50% Markstrom retained for 2 years (3.0 AVV) is worth 29th pick in the first round.

So the 29th and 30th comes up around 11 points shy to move up to 10th. 11 points is roughly the value of the 31st pick.

Is the value for Markstrom more or less then a 31st pick, that is the question. The frame work to move Markstrom, 50% retained, and the Canucks pick looks to be on the right track.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #1815
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s weird that protection is such a big deal. All it does is change the pick from one year to another. It’s not like the pick changes. It’s a lot better than a conditional pick.
I think teams don't want to be embarrassed if a traded pick becomes a lottery pick. Plus they don't want to potentially lose a very high pick. Protecting it means that that teams would need to miss the playoffs again and win the lottery a second time.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #1816
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I mentioned this in the Tij thread, but Playing around with the pick and salary value tool.

50% Markstrom retained for 2 years (3.0 AVV) is worth 29th pick in the first round.

So the 29th and 30th comes up around 11 points shy to move up to 10th. 11 points is roughly the value of the 31st pick.

Is the value for Markstrom more or less then a 31st pick, that is the question. The frame work to move Markstrom, 50% retained, and the Canucks pick looks to be on the right track.
Regardless of value etc., I don't see NJ moving what may be be the 10th pick in this draft. I doubt they would need to do that to get Markstrom, the 2025 pick as a starting point should suffice. It's not like anyone else will be offering up such a high pick to Calgary.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:44 AM   #1817
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if its protected for 2025, another potentially unprotected 2026 could be a good gamble. Yes it sucks to wait that long but what if the devils have a horrible year again? That could be another shot at Mckenna that is going to be much harder to come by the closer it gets to that draft. I would be a bit disappointed to not get the 2024 1st though
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 10:00 AM   #1818
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Regardless of value etc., I don't see NJ moving what may be be the 10th pick in this draft. I doubt they would need to do that to get Markstrom, the 2025 pick as a starting point should suffice. It's not like anyone else will be offering up such a high pick to Calgary.
There's a bumper crop of desperate teams out there in 2024. Someone's going to do something stupid with their pick. Hope we do what it takes to get it.

Frankly, NJ is not the first team I'd be dealing with. Especially if their offer is meh. There's enough smoke out there to suggest they have tunnel vision on Markstrom. Start some fires elsewhere and let them come back to you.

Move along to the sens. They're on a two year clock. We have what they need in Markstrom and Andersson. They may want Weegar instead which I would do but the cost would go up.

Markstrom 50% retained
Andersson
Van first round pick

For

24 first round pick
Pinto
Korpisalo

They get a do over on their goalie signing and a RSD that they are in need of. Also not sure how they'd handle Pinto with Norris coming back. I could see there being some friction there with him getting strong armed into signing his QO while they handed out 8 year deals like they were candy. Would he sign a bridge there? Not so sure.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:27 AM   #1819
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd love a huge return for Markstrom, but to me the biggest thing is moving the asset as I see that as key to truly turning the page from the old core.

Give Wolf the crease.

Increase the likelihood of not getting burned on that Montreal first.

Make year two of a rebuild obvious.

At one point Markstrom was an albatross to most that would require the insertion of a high pick to move his salary.

If his value is a little lower now than it could have been at the trade deadline I'm honestly not all that fussed about it. Just get that page turned.
I hope there's still someone around or that be brought in that can be a mentor to Wolf, rather than just throwing him into the fire. Vladar is barely established so not sure if he counts.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:06 AM   #1820
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see it, essentially it is a trade down scenario for them as they would still be getting a pick(s) and a player they need back. Or at the very least the 10h pick makes it more palatable to move Mercer. In that scenario they will need to wait a couple years before that 10th pick is on their roster. I could see Fitz doing the trade just based on how short his leash is, especially after missing the playoffs this year.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good