Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #1801
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
We'll need to see the economic environment during election time. Lower taxes will still contribute to inflation.

I should look into this more, but so far what I've read is that liberals are trying to provide dental care to the masses. That doesn't seem like a vanity project.
Its not. It was blackmail by the NDP. I am sure Libs have plenty more preferred special interests that need funding vs begrudgingly funding dental
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #1802
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Its not. It was blackmail by the NDP. I am sure Libs have plenty more preferred special interests that need funding vs begrudgingly funding dental
I get people not liking the economic interests of the Liberals or the NDP, but I don't understand the negative reactions to the Liberals and NDP working together. Lots of people in our society seem to view the two parties working together as some sort of sinister plot or 'blackmail' or whatever.

In reality, two parties working together is a positive for the country. In fact, this is the main positive of minority governments. It forces the ruling party to consider outside viewpoints and perspectives if it wants to maintain power. As such, this means the views of more Canadians are being represented in government policy. It's literally democracy at work, and arguably a better representation of what most Canadians want.

Working with the NDP is definitely pulling the policies of the Liberals to the left, and I can understand if someone does not like that for economic reasons. But at the end of the day, the more parties that have influence over government policy the better, as it ensures more Canadians are represented in the halls of power.

Last edited by b1crunch; 09-11-2022 at 02:14 PM.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to b1crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 05:10 PM   #1803
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I get people not liking the economic interests of the Liberals or the NDP, but I don't understand the negative reactions to the Liberals and NDP working together. Lots of people in our society seem to view the two parties working together as some sort of sinister plot or 'blackmail' or whatever.

In reality, two parties working together is a positive for the country. In fact, this is the main positive of minority governments. It forces the ruling party to consider outside viewpoints and perspectives if it wants to maintain power. As such, this means the views of more Canadians are being represented in government policy. It's literally democracy at work, and arguably a better representation of what most Canadians want.

Working with the NDP is definitely pulling the policies of the Liberals to the left, and I can understand if someone does not like that for economic reasons. But at the end of the day, the more parties that have influence over government policy the better, as it ensures more Canadians are represented in the halls of power.
It should be the positive of all governments
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #1804
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Guess they won't be attacking Trudeau next election for a lack of real world experience
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #1805
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but I'll post it again now:.

Conservative supporters: Canadian voters returned a minority government. The parties need to find a way to cooperate and work together.

*Liberals and NDP find a way to cooperate and work together*

Conservative supporters: No not like that.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #1806
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I'm sure I've posted this before, but I'll post it again now:.

Conservative supporters: Canadian voters returned a minority government. The parties need to find a way to cooperate and work together.

*Liberals and NDP find a way to cooperate and work together*

Conservative supporters: No not like that.
Frankly, I think its more nuanced than you're giving it credit for.

But whatever, it really doesnt matter, nobody cares about economics anymore, not even the 'Conservatives.'

Its all just 'someone else's problem.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #1807
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jean Charest packs it in

Not unexpected.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569015528806572036

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #1808
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I don't actually mind Trudeau. Guess he'll be Prime Minister till 2030 or so.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 06:07 PM   #1809
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Frankly, I think its more nuanced than you're giving it credit for.

But whatever, it really doesnt matter, nobody cares about economics anymore, not even the 'Conservatives.'

Its all just 'someone else's problem.'
I don’t think in our lifetimes there has ever been a party that truly prioritized managing finances responsibly.

Cuts to public services have always been done while waiving the flag of fiscal responsibility but I think most people can see that there has always been other motives behind such moves, especially when it comes to healthcare.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #1810
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This arrangement gives Jagmeet all the power. Trudeau has to do what Jagmeet wants or he won't get support. In a way it makes Jagmeet our unelected prime minister as he has control over Trudeau, when in reality almost nobody voted for Jagmeet.
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #1811
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
This arrangement gives Jagmeet all the power. Trudeau has to do what Jagmeet wants or he won't get support. In a way it makes Jagmeet our unelected prime minister as he has control over Trudeau, when in reality almost nobody voted for Jagmeet.
Only if the conservatives choose to give Jagmeet that power.

If Jagmeet says that’s a deal breaker than Trudeau can go shopping for support from the Bloc or cons to get a key budget bill passed.

Why haven’t the conservatives been working with the liberals to get policy passed in the house? I suspect it’s because they believe their electoral fortunes are better if they are just critical jackasses then attempting to be active participants in government.

The issue isn’t that Trudeau has to do what Jagmeet says it’s other parties believe that the damage being done to Trudeau’s electoral credibility is higher if they do not try to moderate Trudeau by offering support.

Jagmeet is doing what he and his party was elected to do. Advance NDP ideas as far as possible while being limited by the number of seats.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #1812
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Well, I don't actually mind Trudeau. Guess he'll be Prime Minister till 2030 or so.
Elvis has a better chance of coming back.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #1813
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
“It’s coming” TM
Old 09-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #1814
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s my wish for the new CPC leader.

Please keep the needle in the centre and just be normal.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #1815
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I dont know why anyone would admit to not 'minding' Trudeau other than he is the least unpalatable option and...there is probably something in it for them.

Thats the beauty of 'High Minded Morality' you can hide behind it when you're the beneficiary of the grift.

But to your point...no. Trudeau has a much better chance of being PM until 2030 than Elvis has of returning to life.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #1816
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

It appears some people havent been paying attention.

"Level headed sanity" doesnt get you anywhere. You need to be insane. The crazier the better.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #1817
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But to your point...no. Trudeau has a much better chance of being PM until 2030 than Elvis has of returning to life.
What odds are Vegas giving on Jesus?
Old 09-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #1818
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What odds are Vegas giving on Jesus?
I dont really gamble so I couldnt say.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:38 PM   #1819
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Jean Charest packs it in

Not unexpected.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1569015528806572036
I can't tell if he's looking around the lady to point at someone or is hugging the lady with a gimped finger.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #1820
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Well, may as well start picking your next party to vote for then.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote