Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #161
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Fans chose him for one and only one reason and that was to mock the event. They took advantage of the league leaving the selection process open for fans to pick players they believe were deserving of all star status. Nobody voting truly believed Scott was deserving. He didn't belong there on merit alone. Explain to me this "great human piece story" because all I see Scott as was a tool that fans (I use that term lightly as I don't understand why a fan of the league would like to stick it to them) used to mock the event. He actually went along with it which made things worse as it's like he didn't' understand he was part of the joke and he was selected only because he wasn't good at hockey and not because he was good at it.
Doesn't matter the reason. If you let the fans choose a player, you opened the door for this to happen.

The great story piece was exactly what you saw at the time. Guy that never should have been there played well, scored some nice goals and the players rallied around him as he ended up MVP. People loved it. A multitude of stories were written on it. It was a feel good piece in an otherwise light hearted and normally boring event.

I can see missing all of that suffering from cranky old man syndrome, but it made for a great story to the majority of people at the time.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #162
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post
The Preds can come back.

But it will turn on what's happening between Pekka Rinne's ears. So far, he's completely choked.

It always comes down to goaltending.
Nashville would be in bigger trouble if they had been playing like crap. They've lost playing well enough to win both games IMO. If Laviolette makes the right move, and I think he will, Suaros will be between the pipes on Saturday.

The series is by no means over considering how good Nashville has been on home ice for this playoffs and really the better part of the last few years.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #163
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Doesn't matter the reason. If you let the fans choose a player, you opened the door for this to happen.

The great story piece was exactly what you saw at the time. Guy that never should have been there played well, scored some nice goals and the players rallied around him as he ended up MVP. People loved it. A multitude of stories were written on it. It was a feel good piece in an otherwise light hearted and normally boring event.

I can see missing all of that suffering from cranky old man syndrome, but it made for a great story to the majority of people at the time.
Funny thing is that you have to be arguably the crankiest poster on this site.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #164
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Funny thing is that you have to be arguably the crankiest poster on this site.
You'd be the reason you stuck 'arguably' in there.

As I said, denying the wide spread sentiment that most people enjoyed the story of Scott at the all star game is nothing more than "Get off my lawn" territory.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #165
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You'd be the reason you stuck 'arguably' in there.
Ha ha ha I suck that in because there are a few others here that can get pretty cranky at times. I think plenty of people would agree that they have disagreed with me numerous times on this site but I don't think that most would place me anywhere near your lofty heights of grumpiness and hostility. Anyway this thread should carry on free from us arguing Scott which isn't a topic really in this thread.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #166
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha ha. I think plenty of people would agree that they have disagreed with me numerous times on this site but I don't think that most would place me anywhere near your lofty heights of grumpiness and hostility.

What plenty of people wouldn't agree with is your take on Scott at the all-star game, but that's why you've moved off it onto the typical whining about me schtick. Typical, but boring. If you'd like to further discuss how you're an inherently negative individual vs. how you fine me hostile, feel free to PM me and I'll ignore it.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #167
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What plenty of people wouldn't agree with is your take on Scott at the all-star game, but that's why you've moved off it onto the typical whining about me schtick. Typical, but boring. If you'd like to further discuss how you're an inherently negative individual vs. how you fine me hostile, feel free to PM me and I'll ignore it.
Me whining about you? Didn't you bring up the "cranky old man syndrome" thing first? This is why you have your reputation here. Just let it go.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #168
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Me whining about you? Didn't you bring up the "cranky old man syndrome thing" first? This is why you have your reputation here. Just let it go.
No, I brought that up because that's clearly why you're off kilter about the majority of people agreeing Scott was a good story at the all-star game.

You then stopped discussing that at just moved into full banter mode because you had nothing left to say on the topic that was sensible.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #169
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Jesus, GoJetsGo. Every second day, like clockwork you do this. You have to understand that everyone else isn't the problem at this point, no? There's too many encounters for the problem not to lie with you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #170
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Jesus, GoJetsGo. Every second day, like clockwork you do this. You have to understand that everyone else isn't the problem at this point, no? There's too many encounters for the problem not to lie with you.
That is a huge exaggeration on your part. But if you're annoyed by me, feel free to use the ignore feature.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Laviolette isn't telling the media which goaltender will start on Saturday. My knee jerk reaction last night was that he should go with Saros but I thought about the similarities to the Ducks/Oilers series where the Ducks outplayed the Oilers in the first two games but Talbot stood on his head while Gibson was shaky in losing the first two games in Anaheim. I was at that time wondering how they could win that series with such a disparity between goaltending but Carlyle stuck with Gibson and it was the right call as he actually got better as the playoffs went along. In this situation it's a little different in that Rinne started off the playoffs great and has tapered off so do you go back to Rinne and hope he gets his game back or do you go with Saros who has shown this season he's not really a drop off in quality? I think I stick with Rinne but if he lets in a softie first goal like last night and is still fighting the puck I give him the Gulutzan treatment and yank him for good and see if the other guy can turn the tied in the series.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #172
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 at 4

Pittsburgh leads the series 2-0.
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/NHL/results/2016-2017/recap113961.html
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/nhl/results/2016-2017/boxscore113961.html
http://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/recap.asp?g=2017053116&home=16&vis=27&final=true
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/penguins-predators-game-two-recap-1.4140321

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!

Last edited by hwy19man; 06-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #173
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The quotes were made years ago, long before the whole All Star thing.

He has gone away. It's not his fault someone pulled up some old quotes years later.
No. Not all of them. Once Twitter blew up with Scott's original comments from a couple years ago, he was afforded the opportunity to address them on TSN 690 on Monday, and still came across as a bitter minor league hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #174
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #175
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what its worth, looking back the whole Scott thing was a huge embarrassment for the NHL. Guy didn't deserve 1 minute of fame.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #176
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Bonino is in a walking boot.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins-bonino-game-time-decision-1.4144506

Subban believes.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/pk-subban-says-nashville-predators-win-game-3-pittsburgh-penguins-1.4142325

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 06-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #177
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 at 5

Pittsburgh leads the series 2-1.
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/NHL/results/2016-2017/recap113962.html
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/nhl/results/2016-2017/boxscore113962.html
http://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/recap.asp?g=2017060327&home=27&vis=16&final=true
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/predators-rout-penguins-game-3-1.4145217

Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #178
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Nick Bonino is still a gametime decision despite leaving the arena in walking boots and on crutches??

Don't do it Nick. Don't do it.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #179
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Stanley Cup Final: (West WC2) Nashville @ (East MET2) Pittsburgh

Bryzgalov hanging out in Nashville? Hilarious:

https://theplayerstribune.com/ilya-b...-finals-video/

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #180
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. Not all of them. Once Twitter blew up with Scott's original comments from a couple years ago, he was afforded the opportunity to address them on TSN 690 on Monday, and still came across as a bitter minor league hack.
What about the comment from Weekes in that video (1:14) that Subban "...is the first fully-black superstar in the history of our league?"

So I guess there's a "black-o-meter" for torchbearers like Iggy and Fuhr? I wonder what that's like for them? White sees them as Black, but Black sees them as not Black enough? That's a whole other layer of racism there.

Edit: (Don't get me wrong. Weekes is obviously 100% correct that Subban is "fully-black." Also, Iginla and Fuhr each had one Black parent and one White parent, so he's technically correct that Subban is the first "fully-black" superstar. It's just that the way he said it gives me the impression that Black people maybe don't see Iginla and Fuhr as the standard bearers that White people see them as. Like when some White guy refers to Fuhr as the "first Black person to win a Cup," do Black people roll their eyes and go, "yeah whatever?" That's got to be crazy to deal with.)

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-05-2017 at 05:29 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote