Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #161
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
That's bull####. Customers should be given the same offers no matter the csr. I've been told twice they'll price match with Shaw completely. I already have 50mb but that's the max I can get. They will give me that for $45 for year one and $80 year two. They'll gave me the TV package for $35 year 1 and $65 year 2. No further discount offered to me even though they can only offer me 50mb.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Totally agree. I'm surprised there isn't a basic counter offer package they offer to clients.

I can understand my area having only 50, that's fine. but when I can EASILY go online and see the deals other people are getting and then call up and get offered 6 month pricing, that's a joke. I even listed off all the deals I've seen other people gets and they just asked which of the two offers I was presented do I like the most.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #162
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

That's a joke, If you don't want to switch I'd try calling again. Really depends on the person at the other end of the line!

Last edited by gaffobohs; 07-20-2016 at 05:27 PM.
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:23 PM   #163
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're set on switching shaw will cancel your account with then for you. No need to deal with telus at all unless youre getting them to price match.

I had a moved planned with telus for this weekend..... Turns out he just processed the cancellation after I hung up! Shaw coming Friday at 5! Take possession at noon!
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #164
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am the first to pile on Shaw when they suck, so I have to give them props when they do awesome.

I signed up online late Monday night and received a call Tuesday morning telling me to either pick up the modem or wait 2 days for install. Waiting is for suckers, so I walked over to the Shaw location downtown this morning and no line. Entire process took 3 minutes. I didn't have my old modem on me, so they charged a $50 deposit to my account, which I get back upon return of the old model. Cool. The Shaw rep offered to enable the new model right away, but that would kill internet at home and anger the wife, so I decline. I get home this evening, plug in the new modem, and send @shawhelp a tweet asking if they can enable the new modem. They get back to me in under 2 minutes and I am now up and running, in bridged mode, in under 10 minutes total. What a fantastic customer experience.

Speedtest on both wired and wireless is consistently over 170 mbps, and I saved $6 per month from my 50 mbps plan. Love it!
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #165
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got this set up today. Very happy so far. Only thing im struggling with is setting up for Shaw Go Wifi. I put in Mac address, but what is Hotspot 2.0? specifically how do i set it up on a S7 and Iphone 6?
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #166
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'm an existing Shaw user and called in, and the rumours are true...they're not budging off the stated plan for existing users.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #167
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

im working on them right now.

i still have home phone, buddy said that because i still have some ancient code on my account, he can lower the 34.95 down to 15 with a new code, thus allowing for the new internet cost.

edit: bastards, sounds like they cant. im working them though, little by little

edit: bastards 2, best i can manage is if i lose the home phone for 34.95

not good enough. im looking into telus fibre now.

Last edited by ricosuave; 07-20-2016 at 07:54 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #168
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Does the Cisco modem work with the new 150 service? Would love to not have to go in and do the swap.
There is a Cisco modem that has the 24 downstream and 8 upstream channels that would work with the 150 service. If you have the Cisco DPC3848, or DPC3848V, or DPC3848VM, you're set. If you have the older Cisco Docsis 3.0 compatible modem (the one I had was the DCP3825), you won't be able to get 150 speeds.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #169
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Question: Does anyone have trouble with Shaw modems needing a restart every few weeks? My internet would just die completely and the only fix would be restarting the modem.

It's one of the reasons I left Shaw, but now I'm considering going back. Is this a problem anyone else has? Or was I unlucky?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #170
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
Just an update for anyone who might be experiencing my issue as well. Shaw tried to figure out what was going on with the modem on their end, but everything looked good, signal was strong etc. They are actually going to have to send a tech out to see why my connection can't break 90 Mbps.
Same here. Spent about 30 minutes with tech support on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. The technician is coming out next week to check out the modem and my setup. My top speed was about 93 Mbps and that only happened a couple of times during the speed tests. I was averaging 30 - 40 over the past couple days. Very frustrating.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #171
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Decided to sign up with Shaw. Got the premier TV bundled with internet 150 for $89.90 for year 1 and $162 year. Gave me $10 off for 2 years. The $162 is what I paid my last bill with telus for with roughly the same TV and only 50mb internet so it's a good deal for me! Save $840 for 12 months!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #172
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I got this set up today. Very happy so far. Only thing im struggling with is setting up for Shaw Go Wifi. I put in Mac address, but what is Hotspot 2.0? specifically how do i set it up on a S7 and Iphone 6?
Maybe it's changed, but you just connect to the Shaw Go wifi network (when you can) and a website will pop up on your device. Then just enter your Shaw username and password and tell it to remember this device. That's pretty much it.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #173
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Shaw 150 MBPS deal- $80 (Telus rumoured to match) [Split from Shaw TV]

Quote:
That's a joke, If you don't want to switch I'd try calling again. Really depends on the person at the other end of the line!

Preference is not to switch as I get a 15% partner employee discount they haven't figured out I haven't been with that company for 3 years and my primary business email is through my Telus address. Switching it would be a hassle.

I'm going to call again on the weekend and list off all the offers I know others have and call them on the fact they have zero consistency and 6 months discount is really a joke.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #174
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Same here. Spent about 30 minutes with tech support on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong. The technician is coming out next week to check out the modem and my setup. My top speed was about 93 Mbps and that only happened a couple of times during the speed tests. I was averaging 30 - 40 over the past couple days. Very frustrating.
I found my problem and m clocking in at 178 down now. I found a little switch I had forgotten about that capped out at 100 Mbps . It was fun telling Shaw that I'm an idiot.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LanceUppercut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 PM   #175
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Maybe it's changed, but you just connect to the Shaw Go wifi network (when you can) and a website will pop up on your device. Then just enter your Shaw username and password and tell it to remember this device. That's pretty much it.

Shaw just recently launched Hot spot 2.0 which is shaw go wifi "secured".

When you register, look for "Shaw Passpoint" which will set up the profile/certs required to securely connect to it. If shaw Passpoint is not available but "Shaw open" is, you can connect to that, but is a non secure wifi signal.
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GWSurvey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #176
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Preference is not to switch as I get a 15% partner employee discount they haven't figured out I haven't been with that company for 3 years and my primary business email is through my Telus address. Switching it would be a hassle.

I'm going to call again on the weekend and list off all the offers I know others have and call them on the fact they have zero consistency and 6 months discount is really a joke.
Step 1. Change your primary business email to something portable! Even if you don't leave Telus now it will save you hassle in the future. I think you can pay them $5 a month to keep it active if you disconnect internet with them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #177
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

I doubt you'll even need to list all that. A good csr will just match. If you don't have 150 available don't expect any further discounts even though they can't fully match the deal. I was going to stay with Telus for less hassle but Shaw showed a willingness to sweeten the deal and offered $10 off for the 2 years. Not much but at least they gave me more of an incentive than Telus did!
Quote:

Old 07-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #178
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It doesn't work like that.
You are right. They were probably going to raise mobile prices anyway
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #179
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Step 1. Change your primary business email to something portable! Even if you don't leave Telus now it will save you hassle in the future. I think you can pay them $5 a month to keep it active if you disconnect internet with them.
We have one telus email address that we need to migrate. Telus wants $7/mo for us to keep it.

Ditching Telus 25 and Bell TV in favour of Shaw. Probably going down to Shaw Court today to sign up. I can't wait!!
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #180
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Setup a gmail account or get a domain one for cheap, put it on all your new business cards, website etc. Setup forwarding on the Telus account to go to your new one, and an auto-responder to tell people your new address. within 6 months most people should know the new one. Even if you are sticking with Telus for awhile their is no point being held hostage over that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150