Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #161
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary needs to start taking a very serious look on how to serve the industrial areas better and quicker with transit.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #162
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I keep toying with the idea of moving to the deep south to be closer to friends but I can't give up my 12 minute drive to work...
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #163
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I keep toying with the idea of moving to the deep south to be closer to friends but I can't give up my 12 minute drive to work...
Your friends sound stupid anyway.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #164
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to think of any other "thing" in our society that people over/under estimate more than their commute time. I live on 20th avenue just off crowchild and it takes me, door to door 12-18 minutes to get into my office. How someone who lives in Airdrie or Douglasdale takes "20 minutes" to get to work is beyond me.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #165
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Globe and Mail has an interesting article on the StatsCan results...

It's always been my rule of thumb that it takes whichever is longer between 45 minutes or double whatever it takes to drive to get anywhere on transit.
I live in Dalhousie (about a 10 min walk from the LRT station) and I can honestly say it takes me less time to take the train to work dowtown than it does to drive.

When it takes 25 minutes to get down there due to traffic plus another 15+ minute trying to find a bloody parking space that is probably 5 times as far from my office as the train station, spending 30 min walking/riding the train from door to office isnt soo bad. And you can add the ridiculous cost for parking in this city on top of it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #166
DEvans
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I live in Sylvan Lake and commute to a large gas plant west of Rocky, 1 hr and 15minutes each way. Or I could live in Rocky and commute 35 minutes each way. Rocky wasn't even considered and the commute is nothing compared to 40 minutes on Calgary transit.
DEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #167
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
How someone who lives in Airdrie or Douglasdale takes "20 minutes" to get to work is beyond me.
After reading that article I never realized how many people commute to work in helicopters.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #168
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm trying to think of any other "thing" in our society that people over/under estimate more than their commute time. I live on 20th avenue just off crowchild and it takes me, door to door 12-18 minutes to get into my office. How someone who lives in Airdrie or Douglasdale takes "20 minutes" to get to work is beyond me.
Every person that has ever lived in a parasite community always underestimates their drive time. I think they should average the time it takes over a full year, including all those slow winter days and the slow summer construction days, to come up with their commute time. Instead, they take the time it took that one night they whipped home at midnight, then cut that time in half, then tell everybody how close they live to the city.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #169
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Every person that has ever lived in a parasite community always underestimates their drive time. I think they should average the time it takes over a full year, including all those slow winter days and the slow summer construction days, to come up with their commute time. Instead, they take the time it took that one night they whipped home at midnight, then cut that time in half, then tell everybody how close they live to the city.
People feel better about their situation when they lie to themselves. I use to live in Arbour Lake and I swear the average drive time downtown was probably 40 - 50 minutes. I use to tell myself it was only 25 despite the fact that every morning I could never make it in 25.

Now I live downtown and my walk from my door to my office is 15 minutes each way and that includes stopping for a coffee. Such a better life.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #170
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

about 12 minutes by car.
about 16-20 minutes by bike
about 25-30 minutes by transit.
About 2 hours by wheelbarrow.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #171
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who pushes the wheelbarrow for you?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #172
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Who pushes the wheelbarrow for you?
I push it myself. I take a big run, and then jump in. When I stop, I do the same thing again.

It takes twice as long as walking, because I have to dress my wounds on the way.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #173
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is my commute is roughly two segments on the Fan960. I leave just as Maher in the morning starts up, and I get to work before the segment after Maher in the morning ends. I would guess that's between 15-20 minutes.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #174
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

40min to get here by 8am 50min after 4pm.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #175
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Calgary needs to start taking a very serious look on how to serve the industrial areas better and quicker with transit.
At least there's the SE BRT now.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #176
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
People feel better about their situation when they lie to themselves. I use to live in Arbour Lake and I swear the average drive time downtown was probably 40 - 50 minutes. I use to tell myself it was only 25 despite the fact that every morning I could never make it in 25.

Now I live downtown and my walk from my door to my office is 15 minutes each way and that includes stopping for a coffee. Such a better life.
That's totally what it is.....feeling better about their situation. I know people that live in Cochrane that supposedly have shorter commutes to downtown than others that live in Valley Ridge which is on the way from Cochrane. It's diabolical.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #177
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
After reading that article I never realized how many people commute to work in helicopters.
I'd take a helicopter to work, if only it gave me a chance to shoot down Josh Groberman.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #178
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'd take a helicopter to work, if only it gave me a chance to shoot down Josh Groberman.
that is a big part of why I like CF because of funny random comments. Food for the soul thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #179
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
That's totally what it is.....feeling better about their situation. I know people that live in Cochrane that supposedly have shorter commutes to downtown than others that live in Valley Ridge which is on the way from Cochrane. It's diabolical.
I guess it's like that great synthetic happiness video that V posted in the kids thread.

I know it is a little different but it makes one perhaps grab a large grain of sand when people talk/brag about themselves, especially when it comes to other things like money/income? The self delusion is amazing.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #180
arloiginla
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm

Last edited by arloiginla; 05-20-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: not anymore
arloiginla is offline   Reply With Quote