Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #161
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would be in as well, I don't play much Minecraft anymore but since watching this series want to get back into it again. This happen to anyone else? You get kind of bored of it for a couple months but ultimately always come back to it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #162
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I could run it on my box, sometime after school is done but bandwidth might be an issue. Might be able to look at a temporary upgrade for a month or so to accommodate.

Watching this series has me hooked. I even was watching it on the TV in the living room and Mrs. Rathji has started asking "So which guy is this?" and asks me to rewind when someone dies.

Personally, I am hoping that Beef comes back from his rough start to take it.

edit: When you posted, I mistakenly thought that a new episode had been released. I was in the process of queuing up a couple videos for the lunch hour and had my hopes dashed.
Oops, yeah sorry. I included kurtjmac and baj because I forgot about them initially. I think this series gave a lot of them great exposure, because I didn't even know about kurt or baj before this started. Their new episodes should be today though.

I'm in as well. I think maybe half a dozen or less people would be ideal.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #163
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't played minecraft for the longest time, so it would be a great idea.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #164
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think I'll start up a new MineCraft addiction. Mrs. BloodFetish will either join me or leave me...

I'm a bit lost on all the different mods and version levels out there. Any tips on starting out?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #165
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just get the unmodded game and start a new world in survival mode. Probably play on easy to start. It's best to just jump in and figure it out. You can Google crafting recipes if you get stuck.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #166
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Think I'll start up a new MineCraft addiction. Mrs. BloodFetish will either join me or leave me...

I'm a bit lost on all the different mods and version levels out there. Any tips on starting out?
I would personally stay away from client mods all together to start with.

Play a bit of single player (or run your own multiplayer server) and then once you get the gist of it, go to some place like minestatus.net and pic a server that seems to do what you would like. Most have a focus, like PVP, unlimited creative, basic survival, RPG type elements, etc. Don't get too hung up on what exact plugins it has though, since as you get used to things you will know which plugins you like and which you don't.

Right now, most servers are running version 1.2.3 and the client you download from Minecraft.net will be 1.2.4. Since versions need to match, if you do decide to look for a server, make sure it is 1.2.4.

If you would just like to hop onto something and test it out, I have a small server address is: minecraft.tnlonline.ca. Send me a PM if you want to try it, so I can make sure I add you to the Builder category and log in and show you the ropes. Its not advertised at all, so the population is mostly me, my daughter, friends and family.

Last edited by Rathji; 03-28-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #167
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

New episodes are up!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #168
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd love to get in on some ultra hardcore action. I don't play enough survival, even though I really enjoy it. I do quite a bit of work in creative mode making redstone stuff and posting YouTube videos about them (as I think I've mentioned before), like this enchanting room.

I have some other stuff in that vein on my channel if anyone is interested.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #169
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really want to look at doing this if there is half a dozen or so interested people, just looking around Gameservers has Minecraft servers for $1 per person. Considering we wouldn't need a very big one I'd be willing to pay for it for a month and if it's popular with people maybe longer.

Sounds like QuadCity, Bruce, HPLovercraft, Rathji, Me, Slacker and BloodFetish are possibly interested.

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #170
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I really want to look at doing this if there is half a dozen or so interested people, just looking around Gameservers has Minecraft servers for $1 per person. Considering we wouldn't need a very big one I'd be willing to pay for it for a month and if it's popular with people maybe longer.

Sounds like QuadCity, Bruce, HPLovercraft, Rathji, Me, Slacker and BloodFetish are possibly interested.

Thoughts?
I'd be fine donating a couple bucks to help cover the cost for a month.

Where will we get the world, or who will make it?

Last edited by HPLovecraft; 03-29-2012 at 07:46 AM.
HPLovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #171
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Where will we get the world, or who will make it?
Good question, my whole experience with Minecraft is single player survival and creative, I've played around with some mods but never custom worlds. Maybe someone with some experience with the server side of stuff could provide some guidance/help?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #172
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The world is auto generated typically, within the parameters of Flat and Normal, but you can get some plugin's to influence the type of world beyond that. Phoenix is one such mod. If we build the world using Bukkit plugins, then we can easily migrate it wherever we need - it is just a folder located in the server directory and a couple lines in the config file.

I think the main thing is that you need as client side mod as well as a server side mod, and that is a bit tricky to do, but I am sure we all could manage. I don't know if a normal hosted solution would give us access to the files we need for a direct server jar mod though, as most are set up to support Bukkit plugins, which don't alter the server jar file at all.

There seems to be a plugin, SpawnArea, that will allow us to generate random spawns, so we could play with that to test things.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #173
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can donate as well.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #174
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I'm in for the donation as well. Rathji, any help you need I can assist as well. I've run my own server, but I've never done any plugins, but I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #175
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Plugins are pretty easy. I run a small bukkit server off and on, but it's on my own machine, so it likely wouldn't be a very good choice for this. Just pop them in the plugin folder, run the server, stop it, and configure the files, and you're generally good to go.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #176
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if we stress tested my connection, it might be the best thing, since if it works as it, there will be zero extra cost.

I could take my worlds offline and run a vanilla survival world if we could get 5 or 6 people on at once to test it.

http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ says:

Quote:
Result: Sorta, but you're pushing it!

You can host a maximum of:

Players at the same time, plus yourself

The problem is that the internet connection speed is too slow to send and recieve data the data for more than 9 people at the same time.

You're probably better off renting a server instead to have a decent experience.
So for 5 or 6 people it should be fine. Who knows if fine is a lag free experience, or only a barely playable one though.

The hardware can easily handle 30+ players, so that's not an issue at all.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #177
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Plugins are pretty easy. I run a small bukkit server off and on, but it's on my own machine, so it likely wouldn't be a very good choice for this. Just pop them in the plugin folder, run the server, stop it, and configure the files, and you're generally good to go.
For this, it isnt Bukkit and it isn't a plugin. It is the same as a client side mod where you need to copy and/or replace the class files in the jar with the mod files. it really is simple, assuming it works. I have a bad history of it not working with client side mods though.

First, we either need to find a host that will support us replacing the jar file or stress test my server (and upgrade connection if needed). So someone can start looking into that.

Then we need a world built and spawn points generated.

- we can use the vanilla minecraft server to generate a world (or use one of a few plugin or online options) and use MCEdit to make it an appropriate size.
- Once that is built, we need to get SpawnArea to generate our spawn points.
- Then we can build the server jar and use either our host (or my server) to run it.

Any of these steps can be tested at any point in time if someone is willing.

My final is on April 21, so I can't put much time into it before then.

Last edited by Rathji; 03-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #178
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll do some checking with different server providers about cost and if they allow replacement of the jar file. I can also do some messing around with MCEedit and SpawnArea tonight after work.

Edit: Gameservers is cheapest however is unclear about what they allow you to do, I found a couple others that are a couple more dollars a month and allow you to modify pretty well anything you want as long as it doesn't screw up the server for others.

As far as stress testing your connection setup a date and time that works for you and I'll try and make it, most weekday evenings are a safe bet, Friday/Saturday nights are iffy.

Last edited by Hanni; 03-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #179
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be cool to donate some $$$ to the cause.

Last time I played anything multiplayer and online was Diablo II - many years ago now. Kinda miss it, but have been very hesitant to get back into online play, what with all the Korean script kiddies and other assorted young punks!
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #180
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gameservers got back to me already, they give you full FTP access so you can make any changes you wish.