Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #161
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have been avoiding my smoking friends like the plague for now. Same with coffee.
The complete ban of smoking across Ontario made it a hell of a lot easier for me to quit, especially during the winter. The bar I most frequently visited ( The Oar House ) built pretty much a smoking room, but even then going outside to smoke really really really sucked. It was during the summer and having a few drinks on Barney's patio that really triggered my desire to smoke again. All that said, coffee tastes pretty horrific after quiting smoking, I drink about 1/3 of the stuff I used to.

Quiting hasn't been all good. I quit almost three years ago, and my lungs still feel like crap. I actually still feel worse than when I smoked, which seems horribly unfair. That, and I got fat. I was one of those guys that could eat everything I wanted and gain no weight. I was 6'2 185lbs when I quit smoking, and at my worse I hit 225lbs after quiting and just now am I getting down to 215. Part of it might be my age, my metabolism may have decided to give out at the exact time I quit smoking but I doubt it. Really, smoking keeps you slim, so if you are worried about weight, get exercising now!

Oh and your taste buds change... big time. This is a double edged sword as certain things taste way better, but at the same time, other things become inedible. Oh and your sense of smell is going to become amazing. You will be able to smell someone smoking in a car 500 feet away. On the flipside, the smell of someone who just finished smoking is going to make you want to puke. Even now, 3 years later, the smell of someone coming inside after finishing a smoke makes me want to throw up, although the smell of a cigarette itself is still pretty damned nice to me!

Now, the good news. I have zero cravings, they really do go away. On the very rare occasion I think "I would love a smoke right now", especially when having a beer on the golf course, but frankly they go away almost instantly. Also, I used to smoke about 8-9 packs a week... I save 4,160$ last year and 12,480$ since quitting. If that doesn't motivate you, you are one rich son of a .......
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #162
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Forgive me if bringing this up or if talking about it doesn't help you guys who are trying to quit, but I was curious how you guys started smoking in the first place and maybe what in your background (parents who smoke, group of friends you hung out with, etc.) you think may have contributed to this.
This is the saddest part of my old habit. I didn't feel any pressure to smoke, I knew it would cost a fair bit of money (~$4/pack), and that it wasn't healthy (didn't REALLY know about the cancer link).

Flat out - I started because it looked fun/interesting. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that TV and Print advertising worked exactly as intended on me.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #163
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well today I crossed the 1 week thresh hold, and still going strong. Now my sights are set on 1 month. Not missing it as much as I thought. Had a couple rage mad moments, but aside from that its going well, and the irritability is wearing off.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #164
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not gonna lie I had 3 smokes tonight. 2 at the first intermission and 1 and between 2nd and 3rd periods.

The thing was that I had a smoke and moved on. Didn't feel compulsion to keep smoking.

I've already said in this thread I'd like to be able to smoke socially without being a slave to nicotine.

I felt no urges after my smokes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #165
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Forgive me if bringing this up or if talking about it doesn't help you guys who are trying to quit, but I was curious how you guys started smoking in the first place and maybe what in your background (parents who smoke, group of friends you hung out with, etc.) you think may have contributed to this.

For me, my parents smoked when I was growing up but I never had the desire to even try it and have never been a smoker. I've had the odd celebratory cigar in my adult years, but nothing other than that.
Growing up I was a squeaky clean jock/athlete type. Played top level sports, was in phenomenal shape, at one point was one of the top 200/400m runners in the province. Then I got kicked out of the house and was forced to start working while I should have been pursuing post secondary studies.

Ended up working a loser forklift driver job, in a loser warehouse, with a bunch of nothing to lose losers. Smoking was allowed anytime anywhere, and I was so poor, I couldn't afford to eat regularly, and I was siphoning gas to get to work, and sleeping in my car because I had no money yet to put a damage deposit on an apartment. One of the guys suggested smoking as an alternative to suppress my appetite, and I bit on it. And he got me cartons off the reserve for about a $1.20 a pack.

Sure it worked, and a pack would last me 3 days, and allow me to eat once a day, which is all I could afford. I was too proud to go to the food bank, which in retrospect, I should have.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #166
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not gonna lie I had 3 smokes tonight. 2 at the first intermission and 1 and between 2nd and 3rd periods.

The thing was that I had a smoke and moved on. Didn't feel compulsion to keep smoking.

I've already said in this thread I'd like to be able to smoke socially without being a slave to nicotine.

It doesn't usually work that way Cecil. I saw your post from a few days ago and let it go but I'm gonna respond to this one. Good luck to you but to go from an addicted smoker to an occassional social smoker is very hard to do. You are not holding power over the addiction if you can have only 3 smokes a night and then move on. That is the addiction still holding power over you. Trust me, walk away from it completely. It is a crutch, nothing more.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #167
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
It doesn't usually work that way Cecil. I saw your post from a few days ago and let it go but I'm gonna respond to this one. Good luck to you but to go from an addicted smoker to an occassional social smoker is very hard to do. You are not holding power over the addiction if you can have only 3 smokes a night and then move on. That is the addiction still holding power over you. Trust me, walk away from it completely. It is a crutch, nothing more.

No ill effects today. Don't see any reason to quit quitting.

Don't feel as though it was a setback at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #168
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just be very careful. That is how I almost started smoking in my 20's.

I was a "social smoker"- I'd have the odd smoke when I would drink with friends or if I was having a stressful day at work. I then had a bunch of armed robberies happen at my work (3 in 2 weeks) and I'd have a smoke or two after. (Funny what having a gun put to your head will do.)

Anyway- I had borrowed smokes from other co-workers; and then found the 1/2 pack I had left from bartending. (A good bartender always had smokes he could share back in those days.) I ended up finishing that 1/2 pack, and was about to go buy another. That's when it hit me that if I bought that next pack it would be the TSN turning point of me becoming a smoker.

It was a little tough at that point; I'll use this anaolgy- imagine you have been craving Jack in the Box for 6 months, you are on a strick diet, and you are on a flight that makes a stopever in the States. And in the terminal is a Jack in the Box. So yes- it was like trying to stop a food craving; not like what the current smokers are going through.

My point is- it is so easy to become addicted; so don't to anything that will put you past the point. I think most of my friends who started smoking as teenagers all also thought "I'm tough- there's no way I'll get addicted."

Don't give smoking the chance.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #169
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I sincerely hope this works for you and by no means do I want to discourage you HOWEVER...

I've been down that same path thinking that I could handle the occasional smoke. I thought I was in control and that I was strong enough that I pull it off. Within a couple of weeks I was back up to a pack a day and kicking myself hard for quitting on myself so quickly.

At some point you have to be honest with yourself in terms of why you want to smoke, even only socially. For me it was very much a crutch and a comfort for when I felt uncomfortable. Pretty soon I realized that part of the reason I felt so uncomfortable and needed a crutch was because of the nicotine.

I really do apologize if this is coming off as being preachy. There's nothing worse than an ex-smoker sharing their "wisdom" in our typically condescending way. That being said, I really hope that you and others who are still smoking (and let's not kid ourselves, even though it's only socially you ARE still smoking) can free yourself from addiction, whether it be physical, emotional or both.

Before you can say that you are in control with your addiction you have to be honest with yourself. I don't think you're giving yourself a chance right now. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #170
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from my trip to Calgary. I was really worried about this weekend, because I knew i would be drinking. But the first thing I told my friend when I got in was not let me go buy a pack and pretty much make sure I don't smoke. I made the entire weekend without smoking. I made it the entire weekend without really wanting one either. We went out for dinner and drinks on saturday night and I felt like having one there, but it's not like I was dying without it.

I think I've pretty much quit. If I can make it thru a weekend of drinking and being on a holiday, I can make it thru anything. I'm still going to be cautious, but I'm 2 days away from hitting the one month threshold and I'm pretty confident that this might be it.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #171
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Just got back from my trip to Calgary. I was really worried about this weekend, because I knew i would be drinking. But the first thing I told my friend when I got in was not let me go buy a pack and pretty much make sure I don't smoke. I made the entire weekend without smoking. I made it the entire weekend without really wanting one either. We went out for dinner and drinks on saturday night and I felt like having one there, but it's not like I was dying without it.

I think I've pretty much quit. If I can make it thru a weekend of drinking and being on a holiday, I can make it thru anything. I'm still going to be cautious, but I'm 2 days away from hitting the one month threshold and I'm pretty confident that this might be it.
Congrats, great job!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #172
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #173
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Why?

Why not? I've always enjoyed having a smoke when out having a few drinks. What I don't like is smoking 4-8 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Having a smoke or two every couple of weeks when I'm out drinking seems fair.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #174
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not? I've always enjoyed having a smoke when out having a few drinks. What I don't like is smoking 4-8 times a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Having a smoke or two every couple of weeks when I'm out drinking seems fair.
Bollocks, no one enjoys smoke, otherwise we'd all be sticking our heads into camp fires, you enjoy the addiction to nicotine and the relaxing feeling feeding the addiction gives you.

Do what you want, but be honest with yourself, you are talking about 'wanting' to spend ten bucks in order to stand in the cold and hack a but that leaves you needing another one in short order.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #175
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, tonight was a good test. 15 laps around the Talisman track (3 kms) at a good clip, and I wasn't dying. Normally after 10 laps, I used to be gasping for breath. Amazing what a week and a bit will do.

And Cecil, I get what you are saying. I, like you, actually like smoking. If there was no health implications, I would do it with out a care. Unfortunately, I think to be successful, you just have to decide that although you like it, you just can't have it. I honestly do not believe there is a middle ground once you are hooked. It is pretty safe to say that 1 or 2 now will be 4 or 5 next time, and then the time after that, instead of being a mooch, you'll buy a pack before you go out, then boom.... you are hooked again.

I can't emphasize what working out will do to get you brain in the right mode. I started working out 3 months ago, and after a few weeks, quitting just seemed to be the next logical step. If I didn't know I was going to the gym 4 or 5 nights a week, I probably would still be lighting up.

edit: And today was the first day a woke up without a phlegm ball in my throat, and the little rumble in my chest is completely gone, which is a HUGE bonus. Now when I laugh you don't hear that horrible smokers laugh.

Last edited by pylon; 02-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #176
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can not feed the dragon, don't under estimate the power of nicotine.

Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #177
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Bollocks, no one enjoys smoke, otherwise we'd all be sticking our heads into camp fires, you enjoy the addiction to nicotine and the relaxing feeling feeding the addiction gives you.

Do what you want, but be honest with yourself, you are talking about 'wanting' to spend ten bucks in order to stand in the cold and hack a but that leaves you needing another one in short order.
Since you have no idea what you're talking about you should probably leave it alone.

It has been made abundantly clear this thread is for people who want to quit.

If you'd like to preach about how much more you know than the rest of us feel free to start your own thread.

I had a couple smokes in a 3 hour period once while I was drinking and haven't had a puff other than that in 2 full weeks and I'm doing fine.

But I guess you know better.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #178
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well, it is quite clear that Cecil is in denial about his addiction.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YourMother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #179
Lee Fogolin
Draft Pick

Hey gang. Well Saturday was my quit day and things didn't go as well as I planned. I cheated a few times over the weekend. I do agree with everything Carr says in the book, but I just wasn't fully mentally committed to saying 'i will never smoke again'. When i quit twice before I was in that state of mind... and it WAS easy. I failed those 2 previous times because I still wanted to be a casual smoker.

Based on my previous failed attempts, I know I cannot be a casual smoker. When I'm done, that's it. No more games like 'I'm in control, so one smoke won't hurt'. I'm not going to preach to Cecil, but I know for me, once I'm done, that's it. It's an addiction and fooling myself into thinking I can turn it on and off at will is recipe for failure.

Anyways, I'm still fully committed and know I'm really really close to being done with it. For the most part I did enjoy not smoking over the weekend, but just wasn't totally there. I rushed through things last week and am taking a step back to fully focus on this again.

Keep up the great work everyone! Enjoy being free from the nasty weed!
Lee Fogolin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Fogolin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #180
TAPOUT
Lifetime Suspension

I quite smokeing about 3 years ago but then I started again on christmas. I'll say one thing something just feels so good about it in you're lungs.
TAPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote