Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2024, 05:10 PM   #17801
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quelle Suprise

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754998518391926916

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755000459700363466

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 02-06-2024 at 05:17 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 05:13 PM   #17802
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wasnt she quoted in the article? Funny she didnt mention it was her poll, eh?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:22 PM   #17803
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
And you know what's worse? The right thinks this media is not to be trusted because Trudeau has them in his pocket....
I couldn't help but laugh at the final paragraph of the article:
Danielle Smith is in a Galileo Galilei-type of predicament. She can see the truth, just like a scientist can see that the Earth revolves around the Sun and not the other way around. But she’ll be ridiculed and pressured to recant by the sense-making institutions of our time: that is, the media and the “experts” it calls.
This is published in the National Post, the flagship national broadsheet of far-and-away the largest newspaper publisher in the country. Newsflash, Jamie Sarkonak: YOU ARE "THE MEDIA", dip####!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 05:28 PM   #17804
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I don't agree. That won't get you more seats in Edmonton (because they have them already) and it certainly will cost votes in Calgary. The working class voters in Calgary were usually the most virulently anti-NDP when I was door-knocking during the last election. The most anti-vax/anti-science, as well.

I believe their growth in Calgary will come from the progressives.

But how do you gain seats and have a strong majority with additional support in rural areas? I don't know if additional progressive policies will get it done in small town Alberta.

The AB NDP did extremely well in the recent election and came up a bit short. I will admit, they are not my party of choice but I do think they will be a strong opposition. The NDP also went up against an extremely weak and not well liked candidate. If the UCP can perhaps follow up with a strong, middle of the road leader, does the NDP really hold a chance in forming government?

It's the hockey analogy of the NDP putting up a lot of goals into the net vs a weak goalie and still losing.

How does the NDP get more seats in Calgary and another 10-15 seats in rural Alberta without a vote split? The idea should be to form a majority government for a long time. A minority NDP government for 22 months or a another short lived 4 year mandate won't get what a lot of NDP and left learning supporters want done.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 05:33 PM   #17805
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think more and more people are getting wise to Smith's BS, problem is those people will fall for it when the TBA puppet masters replace Smith a year before the election
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #17806
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I do think more and more people are getting wise to Smith's BS, problem is those people will fall for it when the TBA puppet masters replace Smith a year before the election

They will, and we'll continue to hear how the 4 years of NDP are the reason for all the problems.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 06:54 PM   #17807
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Then you take that chance. Where would these disgruntled NDPers go? to the Alberta Party?lol
They would simply vote green/some other fringe party or not vote. I’m not saying I agree with their stance, to be honest I think it’s a little out to lunch but there are people who I have heard this from. It’s similar to how some hardcore wild rose/PPC supporters refused to vote for the UCP.

Quote:
the point of dropping the terrible NDP name was that you would hope going into the election against Kenney you would have some non deplorable UCPers jump ship and most of the Alberta Party joining the new party.
More people voted for the UCP in 2019 when the AP was actually a somewhat relevant party, I think you’re putting too much faith in the “non-deplorable” UCP supporters.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing some UCPers aren't rolling their eyes or wanting to vomit every time they hear Smith's voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I still can't believe effing Calgary lemmings VOTED in Danielle Smith!!!!!!
Why do you have such a hard time believing those things? I’ve talked to a lot of UCP supporters since last week’s announcement who say they’re disappointed but when I ask if they would vote for them again they all have the same answer. I mean how many people who voted for her party do you think didn’t expect exactly what we’re getting from her?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #17808
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
A lot of NDP supporters and leaders think the key to winning more voters across Alberta is to be more progressive when in reality, they get a lot of funding and political/voter support form working class people and union leaders.

Tell me that you’re not familiar with the UCP’s bill 32 without telling me that you’re not familiar with the UCP’s bill 32.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:35 PM   #17809
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But how do you gain seats and have a strong majority with additional support in rural areas? I don't know if additional progressive policies will get it done in small town Alberta.

The AB NDP did extremely well in the recent election and came up a bit short. I will admit, they are not my party of choice but I do think they will be a strong opposition. The NDP also went up against an extremely weak and not well liked candidate. If the UCP can perhaps follow up with a strong, middle of the road leader, does the NDP really hold a chance in forming government?

It's the hockey analogy of the NDP putting up a lot of goals into the net vs a weak goalie and still losing.

How does the NDP get more seats in Calgary and another 10-15 seats in rural Alberta without a vote split? The idea should be to form a majority government for a long time. A minority NDP government for 22 months or a another short lived 4 year mandate won't get what a lot of NDP and left learning supporters want done.
First off, is that your way of saying you support the UCP? And second, wtf good is a "strong opposition"? They have zero say over anything. All they can do is point out how stupid you'd have to be to support the UCP. And how well does that work? No, no, we are all ####ed. What's another 40 years of one party rule? I'm sure this time they won't piss it all away.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:41 PM   #17810
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

When will Alberta get a Premier who doesn't gaslight issues like a 3 year old?

Not only can Daniel Smith not quote any scientific evidence for her transgender ban policy, she also makes brash decisions based on social media videos she watches without actually understanding context for the facts.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754737834333000189

Also, in case anyone was concerned, 26 'top' surgeries were performed on people under 18 last year, and 8 of them were for gender affirming reasons.

This is the level of ideological pettiness your Alberta government wishes to spend taxpayer dollars on, not including the time they spend taking huge gulps of David Park juice.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755022280034533382

Had to add this one too, Danielle showing the level of depth they went through to get this legislation in place. You don't need experts when you've got parents and emotions on the line!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754724480252068293

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 02-07-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 07:46 PM   #17811
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

This probably won't happen, but...

I think the NDP, Liberals, Alberta Party, and Greens should merge into one party, the Progressive Party (or something to that effect). Having a hodgepodge of parties to the left of the UCP just splits the anti-UCP vote and makes it easier for them to cruise to election victory after election victory.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:51 PM   #17812
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
First off, is that your way of saying you support the UCP? And second, wtf good is a "strong opposition"? They have zero say over anything. All they can do is point out how stupid you'd have to be to support the UCP. And how well does that work? No, no, we are all ####ed. What's another 40 years of one party rule? I'm sure this time they won't piss it all away.
Fuzz if keeping the unemployment rate at roughly where it was at during the NDP’s last full year in office, reinstating insurance caps that they told us were bad for us only after allowing premiums to skyrocket, removing caps on bribes elected officials can receive, gutting the labour code, passing legislation that attempts to allow employers to violate the human rights of workers under the age of 18 and forcing us to abide by COVID restrictions that they themselves wouldn’t even follow isn’t enough to make you happy, well then fuzz I think it’s safe to say there’s simply no pleasing you.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:58 PM   #17813
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I actually didn't vote for the UCP or the NDP in the last election, but thanks for insulting me (no offense taken) or the hundreds of thousands who did?? It's still a democracy. Politics matter, policy matters, campaigns matter, being in tune with a lot of different people from different walks of life matter.

The NDP went from a party of 2 to 38. It's good to have a strong voice, access to more funding for research, assist more people with issues and more. More media attention, more voices in the room, more people on your side calling and emailing the other side.

What would you rather have? You and someone else being the 2 NDP MLA's running around telling everybody how stupid they are cause your team only won 1 out of how many elections?

That's like Flames fans running around telling everybody in the NHL that if opposition teams would just stop beating us in hockey, we would win more Stanley Cups!! If only other teams weren't so stupid!!
Old 02-06-2024, 10:25 PM   #17814
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

Tell me that you’re not familiar with the UCP’s bill 32 without telling me that you’re not familiar with the UCP’s bill 32.

Familiar with it without a doubt!! Unions and their workers are sending dollars and organizational knowhow and messaging both loudly and quietly to the NDP and other left leaning parties.

There is not too many Teamsters leaders, CUPE members and management loudly and proudly assisting the UCP to win elections. It's natural

It's not like the communist party of Alberta has dollars flowing into their CFO's account from top executives and wealthy Albertan's.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:55 PM   #17815
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Familiar with it without a doubt!! Unions and their workers are sending dollars and organizational knowhow and messaging both loudly and quietly to the NDP and other left leaning parties.
That’d a be a pretty neat trick considering legally Unions aren’t allowed to make contributions to political parties in Alberta. (Since you’re having trouble keeping up it’s probably worth pointing out to you that the NDP put that into law)

Quote:
There is not too many Teamsters leaders, CUPE members and management loudly and proudly assisting the UCP to win elections. It's natural
Again, legally they wouldn’t be allowed to do so even if they wanted to. Bonus points to you for using a non-partisan Union like Teamsters Canada as your example. It really helps illustrate to people reading this exactly how misinformed you are on this subject.

Quote:
It's not like the communist party of Alberta has dollars flowing into their CFO's account from top executives and wealthy Albertan's.
I’m inclined to agree with you. But while we’re on the subject if you had to guess, which party do you think that those top executives and wealthy Albertans would be most likely to give gifts(bribes) to now that the UCP has removed the $200 cap on that?

Basically my assessment of your post is that despite you claiming to be “familiar” with it, you don’t really know what bill 32 is do you? Otherwise you would have certainly made at least some references to it in your post rather than opting to make bizarre misinformed vague statements that don’t really have anything to do with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 06:56 AM   #17816
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually didn't vote for the UCP or the NDP in the last election, but thanks for insulting me (no offense taken) or the hundreds of thousands who did?? It's still a democracy. Politics matter, policy matters, campaigns matter, being in tune with a lot of different people from different walks of life matter.

The NDP went from a party of 2 to 38. It's good to have a strong voice, access to more funding for research, assist more people with issues and more. More media attention, more voices in the room, more people on your side calling and emailing the other side.

What would you rather have? You and someone else being the 2 NDP MLA's running around telling everybody how stupid they are cause your team only won 1 out of how many elections?

That's like Flames fans running around telling everybody in the NHL that if opposition teams would just stop beating us in hockey, we would win more Stanley Cups!! If only other teams weren't so stupid!!
I have no issue pointing out how stupid it is to vote for Danielle Smith. Yes, it's a democracy, but that doesn't excuse ignoring her many many faults to cast a vote for her because she's wearing the colour people have always voted for. Some elections call for an absolute halt of that sort of #### to protect our democracy and it matters a lot less how you feel about the other side.

Now we all wear the UCP and watch as they take away our rights while telling us they are protecting them. So no, I don't have any problem insulting UCP voters for what they've done to the rest of us, because it will always be far far worse than me calling them a smelly head.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 AM   #17817
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
[...]make bizarre misinformed vague statements that don’t really have anything to do with it.
Hallmarks of a curves2000 post.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 08:08 AM   #17818
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
non-partisan Union like Teamsters Canada
The Teamsters are about as non-partisan as the Manning Centre. Neither officially endorse a party but you can sort of deduce their preference from their actions and public statements. For example:

Quote:
Special Guest Speaker at Calgary’s General Membership Meeting on April 1, 2023
By
News
2023-04-02
Sister Rachel Notley, Leader of the Opposition of Alberta addressed Members at Calgary’s General Membership Meeting on April 1, detailing the New Democratic Party (NDP) campaign platform and protection of Alberta’s workers are at the forefront. Sister Notley also highlighted changes which the NDP will make if elected major overhauls to Healthcare, Education, Workers Compensation Legislation, Labour Standards, as well as repealing Bill 32.

We would like to thank Sister Notley for taking the time to come in and speak at our General Membership Meeting and for always fighting for equity for all workers!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:33 AM   #17819
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The Teamsters are about as non-partisan as the Manning Centre. Neither officially endorse a party but you can sort of deduce their preference from their actions and public statements. For example:
Your argument is predicated on the assumption that they wouldn’t have given Smith the opportunity to speak at their membership meeting had she been willing to do so or that they wouldn’t support her if she moderated some of her policies.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 02-07-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:30 AM   #17820
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole obsession with Trans people is so strange. Who cares!

Other than evangelicals (who are fine with women being made from a man's rib).
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post: