Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2024, 09:52 PM   #17721
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That whole election was a proxy vote for the arena deal.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:19 PM   #17722
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The provincial NDP were six seats away from winning the last election. Even though Calgary barely flipped to orange, there is no doubt that Nenshi could be the person to flip another six seats here to snatch victory away from the UCP.

But then what do we do about the rural problem? The UCP would still control half the province and their voter base will probably rally even harder against Nenshi than they did against Notley because of his perceived "liberal" political views and "urbanist" worldview.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:46 PM   #17723
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
The provincial NDP were six seats away from winning the last election. Even though Calgary barely flipped to orange, there is no doubt that Nenshi could be the person to flip another six seats here to snatch victory away from the UCP.

But then what do we do about the rural problem? The UCP would still control half the province and their voter base will probably rally even harder against Nenshi than they did against Notley because of his perceived "liberal" political views and "urbanist" worldview.
It's been a while, but he might be one politician to actually come up with a plan to help rural Alberta, instead of just taking them for granted or ignoring them. If I remember correctly, for mayor he ran an actual platform.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:33 AM   #17724
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Ganley will be announcing that she's running for the leadership...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754354239852458237

She is my MLA. I don't really have any complaints.

If Nenshi runs, I think it's his to lose.

I'd also expect a name change shortly thereafter... either The Alberta Progressive Party or The New Progressive Party.

The Progressive Conservative Party would be perfect, but I assume the UCP still own the trademark on that.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:09 AM   #17725
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

There should be no wording of 'conservative' in a new party name on principle alone. Plenty of nouns and adjectives to use before resorting to that one. Marketing wise it doesn't make sense either; there's already one conservative party to vote for, and it might risk alienating their left of center base which could cost them.

I always liked the Alberta Democrats. Stays true to their roots but not directly NDP anymore.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 08:27 AM   #17726
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also think we've seen there are enough Canadians that think they are Americans, that they might actually be able to ride the American Democrats coat tails, if they keep the word Democrat, but drop the NDP acronym. Associating with that party instead of the NDP will probably moderate them a lot in the eyes of low info voters (even if the past 7 years of ANDP they have been a pretty right wing party policy wise).
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 08:37 AM   #17727
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Republicans of Alberta Party.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #17728
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I also think we've seen there are enough Canadians that think they are Americans, that they might actually be able to ride the American Democrats coat tails, if they keep the word Democrat, but drop the NDP acronym. Associating with that party instead of the NDP will probably moderate them a lot in the eyes of low info voters (even if the past 7 years of ANDP they have been a pretty right wing party policy wise).
The only other option I can see is to get rid of any political leaning in the name. Call themselves something patriotic about Alberta and tug on the heartstrings of Albertans that love their province and want a different option.

Words like "prairie", "west", "Rocky Mountains" or "foothills" could play into that. Alternatively, you could use pragmatic adverbs or adjectives to inspire. Words like "forward", "new", or "growth" can help set a tone for where the party is looking to policy-wise.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:06 AM   #17729
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
While I agree a westerner as Liberal leader is a long shot, he'd be the guy that could do it. Charismatic, excellent speaker, history of running good campaigns, governance background, etc. I also think not looking like Ontario's preconceived notion of a hick from Alberta would help with that issue. He went out on top and knows how to win elections, which is something that the Liberal party apparatus would appreciate as well.

The Federal Liberals are a lot more pragmatic than the provincial NDP. Less one-issue voters and union voting blocks, more people attached to the apparatus of power who want to win. If a plurality of Federal liberals believed he was their best chance at holding power he'd win that race.
He would do well in the immigrant heavy battleground in Ontario, he wouldn’t cost them in Toronto proper. The question would be could be win Quebec and the Maritimes. He probably wins some Edmonton and Calgary seats as well. It’s a non-French leaders turn in the party so he’d stand in really good chance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:42 AM   #17730
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'd also expect a name change shortly thereafter... either The Alberta Progressive Party or The New Progressive Party.

The Progressive Conservative Party would be perfect, but I assume the UCP still own the trademark on that.
is this just a hope or did you hear that this is actually happening? That's significant.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:28 AM   #17731
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
is this just a hope or did you hear that this is actually happening? That's significant.
Pretty sure Nenshi or Bunk finally read my 150+ posts in here to change it.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:30 AM   #17732
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Pretty sure Nenshi or Bunk finally read my 150+ posts in here to change it.
The name-calling finally paid off! Not all heroes wear capes.
Red Slinger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 11:00 AM   #17733
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Not the hero we wanted or deserved, but the hero we needed.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:29 AM   #17734
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I'll take my cape in purple please!

Old 02-05-2024, 12:02 PM   #17735
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Give Zero Fox Nenshi mode activated.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #17736
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
There should be no wording of 'conservative' in a new party name on principle alone. Plenty of nouns and adjectives to use before resorting to that one. Marketing wise it doesn't make sense either; there's already one conservative party to vote for, and it might risk alienating their left of center base which could cost them.

I always liked the Alberta Democrats. Stays true to their roots but not directly NDP anymore.
The New Alberta Democrats...Party.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #17737
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the people I talk to in the party don't see it happening or are reluctant to discuss it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:35 PM   #17738
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post

I looked at the seats that Notley lost in Calgary, and realistically, only 4 more would flip in the best case scenario.

Which 6 seats in Calgary would you think flips with Nenshi leadership? I don't think any of the deep south or far west ridings would flip.

Edit: Link for reference https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...23-results-map

Last edited by Regorium; 02-05-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Regorium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #17739
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just a guess based on things I've read (I don't know how seriously it's been discussed within the party).

It was rumoured that it was proposed prior to the last election to further distance the provincial party from the federal, but Notley was opposed to a name change because her dad was the leader of the NDP when he died.

After the last election, I saw predictions that Notley would step down early this year (which obviously has happened) and rebranding the party would be discussed again once a new leader was elected.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:14 PM   #17740
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I looked at the seats that Notley lost in Calgary, and realistically, only 4 more would flip in the best case scenario.

Which 6 seats in Calgary would you think flips with Nenshi leadership? I don't think any of the deep south or far west ridings would flip.

Edit: Link for reference https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...23-results-map
I think you have;
Bow, Cross, North, Northwest.
That were all reachable for Notely.

Then you have;
East, Shaw, West Lougheed, South East.
Which I think the theory of the case is, they were easy UPC wins, but the Nenshi won the areas for Mayor in 2017.

I think it is just Hays, Fish Creek, Peigan that have overlap with the 1 riding he lost in his last election.

I Also think with optimistic looking polls or a more unpopular UPC, the Edmonton doughnut, and the mixed small city/rural area ridings, are more in play, in 4 more years

, 4 more years you're making me sad Alberta.
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote