Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2024, 03:43 PM   #17701
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nenshi’s mom on Twitter. Sounds like she’s on board with a Nenshi for NDP campaign!

Honestly, Nenshi sounded angry at the rally the other day. Not sure I’ve ever heard that kind of morale outrage in AB politics (manufactured yes, authentic no lol). Smith is a ####ing bully punching down at some of the most vulnerable folks in our society.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1754021381728301360
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 04:16 PM   #17702
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post

That is actually Nenshi’s sister.
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #17703
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody else feeling...conflicted* about how to act the next time they see neighbours who had UCP signs up?

*not sure conflicted is quite the right word, but basically I feel the urge to express how disgusted I am with the current proceedings and how it feels...uncomfortable?* disappointing?* to know they helped to lead us down this horrific path.

(I don't think I'll ever actually say anything...it would just be nice to see these people confront the outcome of their choice to any degree at all)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:29 PM   #17704
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember recently commenting on how much better Nenshi looked since getting out of politics, and thinking he should stay out. Now I'm wondering if we need him back. None of the other names that have been raised as possible NDP leadership candidates come across to me as someone who can win the province.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 04:38 PM   #17705
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
That is actually Nenshi’s sister.
Woops! My mistake.

Either way, my point stands. If his family is openly commenting like this…
Old 02-04-2024, 04:40 PM   #17706
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I remember recently commenting on how much better Nenshi looked since getting out of politics, and thinking he should stay out. Now I'm wondering if we need him back. None of the other names that have been raised as possible NDP leadership candidates come across to me as someone who can win the province.
Totally agree. Rakhi is a potential outlier but I don’t feel any of the existing names have what it takes to take the fight to Smith. Competent MLAs but not folks who will dictate the conversation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 04:50 PM   #17707
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd much rather him run for PM so he can boot Pierre the little Pest, Mr. Dressup and Singh into the sun.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:20 PM   #17708
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I'd much rather him run for PM so he can boot Pierre the little Pest, Mr. Dressup and Singh into the sun.
I just think the odds of a westerner winning the liberal leadership and then winning the election are incredibly long. I just checked, they have never elected a leader who was born west of the Ontario border, just can’t see it.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:26 PM   #17709
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Yes he should (for him) stay out; looks better and happier. Also yes he should enter Alberta or federal politics; he’s desperately needed in both arenas.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #17710
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Although looking back, I would much rather have Nenshi as our Mayor as opposed to our current Mayor, in a hypothetical scenario.

Nenshi did leave Calgary politics with very low approval ratings and had been on the downward slide for a while. He didn't really change much from his days as "World's Best Mayor" but the political and municipal landscape really did. When a lot of things started getting tough in Calgary post 2015 crash, he and council were out of ideas or didn't want to do the hardwork involved.

Nenshi could do well in Edmonton and even get some additional support for the NDP in Calgary but I think the rural areas would be challenging.

He probably would give the NDP the best chance at winning overall. The current crop of candidates has some decent people but nobody with campaign star power.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:03 PM   #17711
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

God I hope he runs. I'd vote for him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #17712
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Nenshi did leave Calgary politics with very low approval ratings and had been on the downward slide for a while.
What does this even mean? You cant just do a drive-by on this one.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:31 PM   #17713
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The people who hated him on day one, hated him twice as much at the end.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:34 PM   #17714
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Nenshi's approval ratings were on the downward slide, which is true.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nkhq-1.5199855

Uh... Lance Uppercut.

Last edited by LanceUppercut; 02-04-2024 at 08:37 PM.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 08:40 PM   #17715
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Not really a drive by but a political fact. He was voted as World's Best Mayor and had a lot of fanfare early on in his tenure as Mayor of Calgary. When the political situation changed for him and the job got harder and harder, he decided to end his time in office while ahead, without a loss as Mayor. I think part of his issue was outside of some of his positive energy early on, look at what this little city on the prairies has been able to do etc, he never recovered much politically.

In the 2017 election which he won, he came fairly close to losing to someone nobody has ever heard of or even knows. Bill Smith had zero profile, zero real campaign, zero anything really yet came close.

When Nenshi decided to step away it was because the likelihood of losing was really high and he had grown very unpopular. I assume personally it was time for him to take some time off, rest, relax and enjoy more free time.

The notion that Nenshi would be some extremely popular choice to win significant seats in Calgary and rural Alberta for the AB NDP, I don't think is wise but I also think he may be a better choice that some of the other people . He could legit come in and play the I was not in NDP government 2015-19 card, so don't blame me for those problems kinda thing.

The fact that A LOT of people from other parts of Canada are moving to Alberta and they could remember really positive stories about him nationally could benefit him.

Do I think he could win the NDP leadership? 100% Can he win consistent elections for the AB NDP or whatever branding they may change to? That one is harder for me to see.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 PM   #17716
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
In the 2017 election which he won, he came fairly close to losing to someone nobody has ever heard of or even knows. Bill Smith had zero profile, zero real campaign, zero anything really yet came close.

Zero real campaign? Are you ####ing serious? Do you not remember every single digital billboard in the saddledome emblazoned with Bill Smith for mayor ads? His campaign raised nearly a million (916K) dollars.
ZedMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 08:57 PM   #17717
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Zero real campaign? Are you ####ing serious? Do you not remember every single digital billboard in the saddledome emblazoned with Bill Smith for mayor ads? His campaign raised nearly a million (916K) dollars.

Flames ownership spent a lot of money name blasting him without a doubt, so did the contingent who was anti Nenshi. But Bill Smith was who? Nobody. Haven't seen or heard from him since, anywhere. I am really active in the political space in Calgary and Alberta and I can't even remember seeing anything of value from this guy. He wasn't a strong challenger to Nenshi yet managed to get a very strong response from people who were not Nenshi fan's.

Mayor Gondek in the 2021 election faced some stiff competition from councilors Jeff Davidson and Jeromy Farkas. Both well known political players in the city political scene and she came out on top due to a well run campaign on her part and vote splitting on the other side.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:12 PM   #17718
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This all just sounds like the normal trajectory for anyone serving over a decade (barring a crisis to manage really well later in the term). Few politicians leave more popular than their initial win.

Quote:
Flames ownership spent a lot of money name blasting him without a doubt, so did the contingent who was anti Nenshi. But Bill Smith was who? Nobody. Haven't seen or heard from him since, anywhere. I am really active in the political space in Calgary and Alberta and I can't even remember seeing anything of value from this guy. He wasn't a strong challenger to Nenshi yet managed to get a very strong response from people who were not Nenshi fan's.

Mayor Gondek in the 2021 election faced some stiff competition from councilors Jeff Davidson and Jeromy Farkas. Both well known political players in the city political scene and she came out on top due to a well run campaign on her part and vote splitting on the other side.
Did you know Nenshi's name before his first campaign?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:33 PM   #17719
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Somebody also apparently bought a pollster, who declared him leading the election race, effectively coalescing the anti-Nenshi vote around one person, instead of splitting it amongst a dozen nobodies.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 09:41 PM   #17720
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
I just think the odds of a westerner winning the liberal leadership and then winning the election are incredibly long. I just checked, they have never elected a leader who was born west of the Ontario border, just can’t see it.
While I agree a westerner as Liberal leader is a long shot, he'd be the guy that could do it. Charismatic, excellent speaker, history of running good campaigns, governance background, etc. I also think not looking like Ontario's preconceived notion of a hick from Alberta would help with that issue. He went out on top and knows how to win elections, which is something that the Liberal party apparatus would appreciate as well.

The Federal Liberals are a lot more pragmatic than the provincial NDP. Less one-issue voters and union voting blocks, more people attached to the apparatus of power who want to win. If a plurality of Federal liberals believed he was their best chance at holding power he'd win that race.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote