Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #1741
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
KK and Feaster going into last summer said that re-signing Iggy was priority #1. KK even said that Iggy will retire a flame. Conroy last summer said that Iggy should never play in another uniform. The only reason they did not get their wish was that when they approached Iggy, he was not sure he wanted to resign and was quoted on a "wait and see" approach.
IIRC, the Flames management, even before Feaster, was taking the approach that Iginla should remain a Flame, as "the face of the franchise", until retirement. Few players get accorded that status, but he's one that (I think) deserved it, if he wanted it. He appeared to be comfortable with that.

However, I think the obvious signs of long-term loser status for the Flames in the past season, coupled with the continual discussions in the media (with a variety of experts and ex-players like Lanny suggesting that he should move on), brought Iginla around to accepting the idea of a trade to a team with a chance to win it all. Then, as the Flames continued to slide during the season, when Feaster suggested to him that they were no longer willing to pay anywhere near what players of his age and stature could get in the July free agent market, he said OK to the request to waive the NTC.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #1742
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Pretty sure they swept a team in there?
Flyers in round 2.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #1743
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
That's almost entirely limited to the Canadian media, particularly in Calgary, which is understandable because Iginla has been the face of the city for over a decade. In Pittsburgh, though, Iginla hasn't gotten much if any of the blame. I've been listening to a lot of Pittsburgh sport talk radio over the past few weeks, and Letang and Bylsma have gotten the bulk of the criticism, though more and more people are starting to question what's wrong with Crosby. I think that's fair.

Honestly, Iginla hasn't been enough of a factor in this series one way or the other to warrant much discussion other than as part of the criticism of Bylsma's stubborn refusal to go back to the power play unit that worked.
I think the Canadian fans and media has been a lot harder on Iginla than the Penguins media or fans. I have also been listening to the Penguins broadcasts and at intermission they answer fan emails and the brunt of fan criticism is on Blysma followed by the goaltending, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, etc. A common question is why Blysma isn't using Iginla on the 1st PP a question even I have asked given the Penguins PP is 0-13 in the series. I must admit the Penguins broadcast team is surprisingly even keel about the whole thing especially after hearing Canucks radio stations melt down when the team fails.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #1744
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Wow this place is all over Iggy. Yes, he has turned over some pucks and so have Crosby and Malkin, maybe more. Boston is taking away time and space and neutralizing everybody on Pittsburgh, not just Iginla.

Iginla has however had some good opportunities by being in the right place. In each of the past two games, he has driven the net and had very good opportunities on rebounds from Malkin drives (although unable to convert either one). He spent a fair amount of time in front of Rask, he has won board battles, and he showed decent enough speed in that OT attempt.

The team has been disjointed, it doesn't appear they are confident in knowing where their teammates are going to be, and they are not reacting terribly well to the pressure from Boston, a lot of passes in the feet.

Bylsma should as people have noted put him on the first PP. The other team has to respect his shot. Boston, I will say, has done a very good job stopping those cross ice passes and Pittsburgh's PK by contrast has not. Crosby was pretty bad on the PP yesterday. Often you see him finding places to sneak when he doesn't have the puck but at times he was standing still. Very odd to see. It is like he has no idea what to do.

All of this talk about his two way game is overblown and a CP inflated opinion. He has done some decent backchecking. As far as people saying he will never be a Selke candidate, people should know better than this. Wingers and C have very different defensive responsibilities. Pretty rare to see wingers nominated, much less winning. I don't thing a winger has won post lockout.

I don't think Iginla is in his mid 20s but he is not as bad as this place makes him out to be. Pittsburgh is a mess right now.

And having said that, Pittsburgh has had a bit of bad luck. The first game, the first two goals were odd bounces and not repeatable plays. Game 2 they stunk, no question. Yesterday, there were 2 goals scored in regulation. Boston's was a fortunate bounce off of a skate (not repeatable) and Pittsburgh's was a very nice goal. Boston had some good chances and Pittsburgh hit a ton of posts. And I know they put the whistles away, but Jagr could easily have been called for a hook on that goal. He nearly lifted Malkin off of his feet.

Pittsburgh has not played great, but the 3-0 lead makes it look like Boston has had an easier time than they have.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #1745
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the Canadian fans and media has been a lot harder on Iginla than the Penguins media or fans. I have also been listening to the Penguins broadcasts and at intermission they answer fan emails and the brunt of fan criticism is on Blysma followed by the goaltending, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, etc. A common question is why Blysma isn't using Iginla on the 1st PP a question even I have asked given the Penguins PP is 0-13 in the series. I must admit the Penguins broadcast team is surprisingly even keel about the whole thing especially after hearing Canucks radio stations melt down when the team fails.
Go read Pens fans game threads on HF. They're hard on Iggy.

That fan base is a joke, you should see them over there whining about the Hockey Gods never helping them and this and that. They have no clue how lucky they are. One of the most spoiled fanbases in sports.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #1746
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Go read Pens fans game threads on HF. They're hard on Iggy.

That fan base is a joke, you should see them over there whining about the Hockey Gods never helping them and this and that. They have no clue how lucky they are. One of the most spoiled fanbases in sports.
Hell we were hard on Frederik Modin and he only cost us a 7th.

Issue was they were sold a bill of goods (Prime of Career Iggy) and didn't realize they were getting an older, flawed, Iggy.

The other stuff makes them a joke since they were gifted the best player in hockey, but I don't think being hard on Iginla makes them a joke.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #1747
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hell we were hard on Frederik Modin and he only cost us a 7th.

Issue was they were sold a bill of goods (Prime of Career Iggy) and didn't realize they were getting an older, flawed, Iggy.

The other stuff makes them a joke since they were gifted the best player in hockey, but I don't think being hard on Iginla makes them a joke.
Right. So you are saying they didn't scout him at all. Uh huh.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1748
stignasty
Self-Ban

Exp:

They're only going to have to worry about Iginla for one more game, so that should make them happy.
stignasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1749
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
forgetting the iggy factor for a second, how can anyone NOT love everything about the boston bruins??

They literally have it all, and I hope the flames are taking a copycat approach on what a contending NHL roster should look like:
They also have everything that a scumbag, dislaikable organization has:

D-bag players- CHECK
Overrated guys that get way too much love- CHECK
An unlikable whiner coach- CHECK
More luck than the average team- CHECK
Favorable reffing (in Pens series at least)- CHECK
Huge D-bag owner- CHECK
Obnoxious media hacks pumping them up local and national- CHECK
The biggest d-bag fans in their sport (I say they have passed Canuck fans this year)- CHECK

I honestly can't think of a reason outside of being a fan of them pre-Flames days to like this team. They are as unlikeable as any team out there and their fans (especially on CP lately) push it over the edge.

Quote:
they're by far the most complete team in hockey today.
I would say LA is more complete. Better skill, much tougher and better goaltending.

And more complete or not Chicago should walk all over them if they play.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1750
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ disagree they have passed Canucks fans. I will forever be grateful to the Bruins organization for beating the Canucks in 2011.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1751
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Right. So you are saying they didn't scout him at all. Uh huh.
Didn't realize that the fan base scouts the players their team acquires.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #1752
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
^^^ disagree they have passed Canucks fans. I will forever be grateful to the Bruins organization for beating the Canucks in 2011.
Most Canuck fans I know and on here have been fairly quiet after the last two play-offs and Luongo-Schnieder gong show.

I certainly think that the Canuck fans overall are bigger d-bags but for these play-offs i would say Bruin fans have surpassed them.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #1753
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy was 7th in the playoffs coming into this series that is hardly crap or someone who has lost it. He is still 12pts for 14 GP The Pens are used to coming into the D zone and the D giving them that 6ft cushion but that is not what the Bruins have allowed them to do.

They have planted Chara and Boychuk or insert 2nd/3rd pairing at the line and they force the Pens to the outside and then the C or the LW curls back as support and forces the turn over. They have done this every game going back to the Rangers series.

The Pens are not in their normal comfort zone because of this and are turning over pucks and Boston is rushing back and are quick to create 3 on 2 situations.

This isn't Iggy playing like crap he wasn't before, Crosby wasn't before etc. Boston is forcing turnovers and keeping the Pens to the outside.
After that most teams allow offense to shoot from the outside but the Bruins go after the puck carrier and make him try to beat the press with a better pass.
This is working out for Boston but not for the Pens they don't like it they are frustrated.
Up 3-0 is not a fluke and its not the Pens playing like crap.
Boston has won the 1 on 1 board battle's vs Pens and forced the turn overs and that eventually breaks a team. Not to mention Boston passing through the neutral zone has been incredible.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 06-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stay Golden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #1754
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
You asked for backup, he gave you backup. What more do you want?
I asked for fact, not opinion.

We want Iginla to retire a flame (again what else would they ever say regardless of what the truth is) is a long ways from "giving my left nut to have him retire here".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I just don't get CP sometimes. Why can't the words of the president, manager and assistant to manager (Conroy) be what they actualy meant? Instead CP has to make some "conspiracy theories" to make management and ownership not look like fools.
What conspiracy theory? You made a rather sensationalist claim and have no facts to back it up. Again it's quite a stretch from "we hope Iggy will retire a Flame" to what you said. We can even assume that they were 100% truthful as they may well have been. Obviously they were not willing to go to the lengths you suggested to keep him as when push came to shove, Iggy was traded for the good of the team. What you implied was that they would do everything feasible to keep him. Throwing huge money at him would be one way to do this, something they were unwilling to do. Sort of proves your statement incorrect right there.

Last edited by Kaine; 06-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1755
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Iggy was 7th in the playoffs coming into this series that is hardly crap or someone who has lost it. He is still 12pts for 14 GP The Pens are used to coming into the D zone and the D giving them that 6ft cushion but that is not what the Bruins have allowed them to do.

They have planted Chara and Boychuk or insert 2nd/3rd pairing at the line and they force the Pens to the outside and then the C or the LW curls back as support and forces the turn over. They have done this every game going back to the Rangers series.

The Pens are not in their normal comfort zone because of this and are turning over pucks and Boston is rushing back and are quick to create 3 on 2 situations.

This isn't Iggy playing like crap he wasn't before, Crosby wasn't before etc. Boston is forcing turnovers and keeping the Pens to the outside.
After that most teams allow offense to shoot from the outside but the Bruins go after the puck carrier and make him try to beat the press with a better pass.
This is working out for Boston but not for the Pens they don't like it they are frustrated.
Up 3-0 is not a fluke and its not the Pens playing like crap.
Boston has won the 1 on 1 board battle's vs Pens and forced the turn overs and that eventually breaks a team. Not to mention Boston passing through the neutral zone has been incredible.
Agree with this. Up 3-0 is not a fluke but is good fortune as last night's game easily could have gone either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #1756
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Didn't realize that the fan base scouts the players their team acquires.
Thought you meant the team.

I didn't realize the Flames traded Iggy to the fans.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #1757
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
They also have everything that a scumbag, dislaikable organization has:

D-bag players- CHECK
Overrated guys that get way too much love- CHECK
An unlikable whiner coach- CHECK
More luck than the average team- CHECK
Favorable reffing (in Pens series at least)- CHECK
Huge D-bag owner- CHECK
Obnoxious media hacks pumping them up local and national- CHECK
The biggest d-bag fans in their sport (I say they have passed Canuck fans this year)- CHECK

I honestly can't think of a reason outside of being a fan of them pre-Flames days to like this team. They are as unlikeable as any team out there and their fans (especially on CP lately) push it over the edge.

I would say LA is more complete. Better skill, much tougher and better goaltending.

And more complete or not Chicago should walk all over them if they play.
For us it would be that you have an absurdly huge hatred on for them. That for sure drives hundreds of fans to the Bruins on here.
\
and hey what do you know, your worst player in flames history, dennis wideman is a former bruin.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #1758
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bruins beating the nucks for the cup and that epic 'no soup for you canucks' youtube video converted me over.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #1759
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree with this. Up 3-0 is not a fluke but is good fortune as last night's game easily could have gone either way.
just like vs T.O in game 7 you need to do everything the Bruins are doing and some luck.

Iggy was close to winning it in OT, Horton clean off the post, Malkin clean off the post.
Lucic has an open side and the puck skips.
Luck definitely plays a part and nerves being able to seal the winner.
If Iggy scored on that great effort nobody is saying he is a wash up. Sometimes that one goes in and sometimes the goalie makes a better play.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #1760
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thought you meant the team.

I didn't realize the Flames traded Iggy to the fans.
The fan base still gets "sold" the trade and base their opinions on the deal.

Had you read the entire conversation, opposed to just jumping in and making snarky comments, you would have seen that we were talking about the Pens fanbase and their perception of the trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: