Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2024, 01:41 PM   #1721
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unrelated, but Noodles was on Barn Burner today calling out Manoah (and other athletes) and how they post on their social media during the off seasons about how they're working out and staying in shape as if they should be applauded, saying they're getting paid a lot of money every 2 weeks, they better be staying in shape, it's their job! Couldn't agree more with Noodles!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM   #1722
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Unrelated, but Noodles was on Barn Burner today calling out Manoah (and other athletes) and how they post on their social media during the off seasons about how they're working out and staying in shape as if they should be applauded, saying they're getting paid a lot of money every 2 weeks, they better be staying in shape, it's their job! Couldn't agree more with Noodles!
Agree as well. And I’ll go further and say they post misleading pics as well. Rarely do we ever see a huge transformation. But fans buy the bull####.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM   #1723
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't mind the Turner signing.

He hits lefties very well, and hits righties better than options like Soler and Martinez, and Turner has always hit really well with RISP, which we all know was a struggle for the Jays last season. There is also a sprinkle of defensive usefulness there with Turner too, between 1B/2B/3B.

And a one year deal is also good.

After missing out on Ohtani the Jays have steered clear of entering any potentially crippling long term commitments, ad that is not a bad thing IMO.

If they are done this will once again be a team that relies on all it's players contributing to be successful. Nobody dragging them down and a whole pile of positive WAR players all pulling in the same direction.

Then, if they do get a offensive bounce back from any/all of Vlad/Kirk/Springer/Varsho they will challenge for the division instead of just a wild card.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:45 PM   #1724
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad news for the Jays and the AL East.

It appears the cheap ass owners of the Orioles are selling the team. If new ownership gives the greenlight to spend the Orioles are in a much better position to not only keep that ridiculous core of young players together, but also add to it.

Watch them immediately go out and sign Bauer and Snell and win 100+ games again.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:45 PM   #1725
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Bad news for the Jays and the AL East.

It appears the cheap ass owners of the Orioles are selling the team. If new ownership gives the greenlight to spend the Orioles are in a much better position to not only keep that ridiculous core of young players together, but also add to it.

Watch them immediately go out and sign Bauer and Snell and win 100+ games again.
Be interesting to see how long that takes - might not make a difference this year. They need approval, and they're only selling 40% initially. The remainder of the sale is contingent upon the death of the current owner. (Presumably so they can get the step up in tax basis on death and avoid capital gains tax).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:29 PM   #1726
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Be interesting to see how long that takes - might not make a difference this year. They need approval, and they're only selling 40% initially. The remainder of the sale is contingent upon the death of the current owner. (Presumably so they can get the step up in tax basis on death and avoid capital gains tax).
Yeah I doubt they will be able to do anything for this season, but this IMO is a very bad thing for the Jays moving forward.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:00 AM   #1727
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah O's sale is a big meh. With only 40% going they'll be old and new regime's clashing, the new guys wanting a bigger say in behind the scenes business and on field decisions, the old crew happy (especially after last year) with how things are. So any change is a disruption; manager, scouts etc.

Even if they were 100% sold, doesn't mean they automatically transform. Rogers bought the Jays 24 years ago, and in the early years, spending may have increased a bit but results were still average.

TV deal for Baltimore market not likely that big, or could it really get much bigger get market size and especially with DC and the Nats not far away, so not sure where a lot of extra revenue gets generated for the team, no matter the owners.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:08 AM   #1728
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Yeah O's sale is a big meh. With only 40% going they'll be old and new regime's clashing, the new guys wanting a bigger say in behind the scenes business and on field decisions, the old crew happy (especially after last year) with how things are. So any change is a disruption; manager, scouts etc.

Even if they were 100% sold, doesn't mean they automatically transform. Rogers bought the Jays 24 years ago, and in the early years, spending may have increased a bit but results were still average.

TV deal for Baltimore market not likely that big, or could it really get much bigger get market size and especially with DC and the Nats not far away, so not sure where a lot of extra revenue gets generated for the team, no matter the owners.
Thr Orioles are quite profitable right now, but the Angelos aren't rich enough outside the team to run it as a hobby (ie, break even basis). They are almost certainly taking dividends out to fund lifestyle/other investments/litigation against each other. The new owners are richer and are less likely to do that, imo.

Also, it isn't clear that the Angelos family owns 100% of the team. They had minority partners when they bought it (notably including Tom Clancy with a reported 24%) but could have bought some out over the years. Although Tom Clancy did own 12% (lost half to ex-wife) at the time of his death. So cleaning up that could make the governance better as well.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:29 AM   #1729
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i think it could go two ways. Private equity partners could be 'absentee landlord'. It's true, I highly doubt that this group bought 40% ownership without an eye towards extending the homegrown talent. But then I keep looking at the FSG’s handling of Mookie Betts and Xander Boegarts though and it makes you wonder.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:40 AM   #1730
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1753043991442981236
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:42 AM   #1731
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ll see about the physical improvements. For him there was that, the mechanical adjustments, the adjustment to the pitch clock, and his mental state to calm down. If any one of those is off, it’ll be a challenge. Let’s see. I was sure they were going to deal him but I guess they’ll look to sell high. It’s arguably a good gamble to take.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #1732
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I was sure they were going to deal him but I guess they’ll look to sell high.
Or not move him at all.

He had a bad year but so did Roy Halladay. The only reason I would see them wanting to trade him is if the relationship between both sides is damaged beyond repair.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:37 PM   #1733
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

AL East just got harder...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1753228359968961023

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:25 PM   #1734
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't take long for Orioles to start spending more
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #1735
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Or not move him at all.

He had a bad year but so did Roy Halladay. The only reason I would see them wanting to trade him is if the relationship between both sides is damaged beyond repair.

Roy was a workhorse though. I don't disagree, but they're not the similar aside from having early bad years. It really depends on the offers received. If someone truly gave a good offer, I'd deal Manoah in a heartbeat. His stuff two years ago was great, but his ego and lack of discipline has really turned me off, and I think it's going to be an uphill climb.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:59 PM   #1736
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atkins sucks at trades. Even with Manoah’s value being low I don’t trust Atkins in trading him.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:17 PM   #1737
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Wait. You can trade picks now??
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 08:52 PM   #1738
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Roy was a workhorse though. I don't disagree, but they're not the similar aside from having early bad years. It really depends on the offers received. If someone truly gave a good offer, I'd deal Manoah in a heartbeat. His stuff two years ago was great, but his ego and lack of discipline has really turned me off, and I think it's going to be an uphill climb.
I know you don't like him so I don't doubt you would trade him in a heartbeat. But the team isn't going to give up on him unless there's bad blood and it's in everyone's best interest to move on.

He just turned 26 and this is his first bad season. It seems like he's not taking that lightly and is working hard on his fitness this winter. Let's see how it goes before trying to run him out of town.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:41 PM   #1739
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Wait. You can trade picks now??
Competitive balance picks (the ones given to small market/low revenue teams) can be traded.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:29 PM   #1740
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manoah's value will never be lower. My guess is the trade values were low by teams bargain hunting.

A full reset was the only way, the way they attempted to get him back on track last year was half measures at best. The Jays showed patience and probably more patience than Manoah wanted, so were looking out for the best for him.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: