Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #1721
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

there was at least one other team in negotations with Julien before he signed with Montreal and that team currently has a coach. It was not Vegas

biggest issue the Habs have with re-signing Radulov is term
Radulov wants 6 years and he is turning 31
if they go 5-6 years they might get 4.5mil/year, if they want short term they may have to pay something like 3 years around $7 per
Friedman says Radulov will be the #1 Free agent this summer

Sens met with Lazar's agent - message was he just wants to play whether it is in Ottawa or elsewhere
word is Sens not inclined to trading him
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #1722
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
It allows you to move Bennett to the wing where he's actually been productive at the NHL level. Barkov adds size, physicality and a 200ft game. After next season Backlund is likely outside of our price point so it allows you to play Janko in a 3rd line C role while he matures to the nhl game. Gaudreau may return to form and he may not, there are indicators of problems and his size is still a concern at the NHL level. He has shown this year that he can be intimidated by larger players and is then neutralized. If this deal were to theoretically happen, the Flames get bigger, stronger and deeper at center. You wins cups with Centers and Defense not small one dimensional wingers.
I don't understand penciling the likes of Jankowski in a 3rd C role while Bennett has struggled so far.

Not to mention there's no reason for Florida to make that deal. The logic for the Flames to trade for Barkov is because centre depth is key and he's a great centre. I'm sure Florida believes the opposite of that or suddenly has somebody to fill that spot.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #1723
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was such a weak "headlines" segment. 2.5 weeks before the deadline and zero trade rumors?

This is going to be such a boring deadline
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #1724
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I don't understand penciling the likes of Jankowski in a 3rd C role while Bennett has struggled so far.

Not to mention there's no reason for Florida to make that deal. The logic for the Flames to trade for Barkov is because centre depth is key and he's a great centre. I'm sure Florida believes the opposite of that or suddenly has somebody to fill that spot.
I agree that Florida is unlikely to make that deal. It was more of a theoretical what if scenario. As for Bennett at centre, I just don't think he's a good fit at the position regardless of whether we magically acquire a first line centre or not. I mean that could always change but I just feel his game is more suited to the wing.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #1725
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm wrong thread
Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #1726
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see where this Barkov talk is coming from. Why in the world would Florida give up on Barkov? Is this just 'value of' speculation?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #1727
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Curious if #Oilers will grab Ty Rattie off waivers. Believe EDM put in a claim for him in Jan. Only thing is Slepyshev has come up since.
Blues re-claimed Ty Rattie; intend to send him to AHL Wolves
Old 02-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #1728
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garrioch is saying that because of cap difficulties, Tampa Bay may be looking at braydon coborn as having negative value. He has a contract at 3.7 for two seasons past this one. Any interest?

Edit : or garrison at 4.7 for one season past this one.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #1729
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd do Wideman for Coburn.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #1730
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd do Wideman for Coburn.
Bloody hell, I wouldn't. 32 years old, third-pairing D who no longer has any offensive component to his game, with more than $8 million owing on his contract? I'd much rather have the guy with less than $2m owing who will disappear at the end of the season.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #1731
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a team thinks a player has negative value, the Flames shouldn't target them for a trade. The worst contract the Flames have is Wideman IMO and he's gone this year. Stajan doesn't have the best contract but he's not that bad of a player so it isn't that bad. Bouma is a little over paid but he's only on for one more year and he does lay it all on the line when he's playing so his isn't that bad either. Brower isn't the most ideal guy on the team right now IMO but it's only been one year so hopefully he turns it around. Of those 3 guys with contracts running past this year, one of them will likely be gone in the expansion draft so they really aren't sitting that bad with contracts and by no means should they be targeting other teams "negative" players. The only way they should is if there is a HUGE sweetener with it like a good young D or RW that the team needs. I think the goalie situation will sort itself out too, I think there will be enough decent options before the expansion draft (Mrazek, Picard, Grubauer and so on) and the Flames will be able to pick one up.

I just think this team needs time to focus on the future because I don't think they're close enough now, taking on bad players/contracts moving forward isn't the best idea.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #1732
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Today Flames had scouts at:

NYR vs WAS - Flames play Caps in March
NSH vs CBJ - Flames play Preds next week and in March
BUF vs CHI - Flames don't play either team again in the regular season and were just scouting the Sabres a few days ago...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #1733
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulikov and Kane are targets I feel. I wonder how that trade would look as far as out going pieces from the Flames.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #1734
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If Treliving could pull it off, Justin Bailey or Nick Baptiste from the Sabres could be a good get for the future.

Don't know if the Flames have the pieces that would get Buffalo to entertain moving them.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #1735
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Kulikov makes some sense but Kane would be brought in just to be exposed and picked up by Vegas where the prophecy would be fulfilled.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #1736
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:

BUF vs CHI - Flames don't play either team again in the regular season and were just scouting the Sabres a few days ago...
and Don Maloney is scouting COL vs TB
Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #1737
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
and Don Maloney is scouting COL vs TB
Feels like Maloney is on a tour of potentially available goalies.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #1738
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Just my own speculation but Brett Connolly for Kris Versteeg trade may work both Washington and Calgary.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #1739
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Kulikov and Kane are targets I feel. I wonder how that trade would look as far as out going pieces from the Flames.
Kane is playing himself out of trade rumors as he appears to be the player Buffalo gave up a ton of assets to get.

If I were to take a stab

Bouma, Jokipakka,Shinkaruk/Poirer/Klimchuk, Fox/Hickey, 2nd (conditional 1st if flames make 3rd round)
For
Kane + Kulikov

Buffalo may laugh at that offer but I feel Kane is still a risk and Kulikov has disappointed. Maybe it is too much?

Outside of Kane being a LW I do think he is a good fit on the top line. He plays with an edge and wouldn't be afraid to smack someone taking liberties with Johnny. Having said that he does have a lot of red flags. Kulikov would force the Flames to shift Brodie back to the right side but not sure that is what they want to do.

I also think Franson is a target
Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #1740
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Feels like Maloney is on a tour of potentially available goalies.
Bishop is starting for Tampa tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread