Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 08:43 AM   #1701
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers may have advanced but the bright side is that the Canucks got eliminated
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:53 AM   #1702
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
The Oilers may have advanced but the bright side is that the Canucks got eliminated
You're close. I mean, yes, Canucks got eliminated but that's never a good thing when the Oilers are the winners.

The bright side is how the Canucks lost. They folded like a cheap tent in Pincher Creek wind. We were counting on them to do what they were expected to do, beat Edmonton, and they couldn't handle playoff adversity. I was nervous about this round because somehow they made it past a weaker Nashville team in round 1.

Oh, well. Round 3 will be a waste of 8 days for Edmonton.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #1703
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad I don't have to cheer for this group of losers anymore.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:17 AM   #1704
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Glad I don't have to cheer for this group of losers anymore.
The only redeeming thing about the Canucks losing to the Oilers is that it gives us yet another reason to hate the Canucks.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:27 AM   #1705
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

People usually say, out for a public skate as a way to describe a poor performance. I don't think you can even say that about their performance, that usually means you at least skated around the ice.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:32 PM   #1706
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listened to some Canucks radio today and it's extremely positive.
As someone said in the game thread, they played like they were just happy to be there and the media & fan reaction is the same.
No good mentality.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:38 PM   #1707
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they should be happy about the way the Canucks played in the playoffs. They had an opportunity with a 3-2 series lead to get to the WCF and they may not get an opportunity like that for another decade as it's so year to year in the NHL and the Canucks look similar to the 21/22 Flames team that had things go right only to miss the playoffs the next season. That could easily be the Canucks fate next season as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:52 PM   #1708
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

How they played the last couple games is not great, but the season as a whole is very positive.

Nothing is guaranteed for next year, but the group gave the city something to be excited about for the first time in a decade.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 01:00 PM   #1709
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

they aren't good enough, not even close and they aren't getting any better. Did that look like a team without and picks in the first two rounds to you guys?
haha
Old 05-21-2024, 01:03 PM   #1710
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They weren't the same team after Demko went down. And then #2 went down.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:05 PM   #1711
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former teacher, all I can say is Vancouver needs to go and sit and think about their behaviour.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:06 PM   #1712
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
come on now...#2 was good to go this entire round
Old 05-21-2024, 01:06 PM   #1713
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

The way the team plays infront of Demko is so much more dynamic, especially on the forecheck.

Really not sure what you do with Demko. You just thank god it wasn't his hips, I guess.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-21-2024, 01:25 PM   #1714
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if anyone takes any sort of accountability for the second half of the series? There was a definite drop off. Maybe there’s no real reason. But it was so abrupt you wonder if it was gameplan related. Or just lack of leadership.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:34 PM   #1715
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They set a record for fewest shots in the round before. It wasn't a drop off it was how the team played. In the second half of the season they were bottom 5 for offence after being top 5 in the first half. It was a philosophy change. Probably related to Demko going down but Tocchet did the exact same thing in Phoenix.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:41 PM   #1716
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of like when the Flames under Peters finished with the 2nd best offence, and 5th best goals against and got smoked by Colorado.

They panicked and wanted to play a heavier game. WE didn't get beat because of heavy hockey, Colorado was just much faster and bigger, and added a generational defenceman.

The starts next season 12-12 and can't seem to do anything right.

They don't have a great team, but Tocchet is a terrible coach.

I do think they have a problem with Peterssen though. He is so thin, he couldn't even battle through board battles or checks, he doesn't seem to be shifty or dynamic enough. If you get pinned to the boards just do what McDavid does and dive.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:50 PM   #1717
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The back half of the season looked like what I was afraid a Rick Tocchet coached team would look like, albeit with better results than I was worried it would have. They became an elite defensive team in the back half of the season, which was good as the PDO-fueled goal scoring dried up.

They desperately need another bonafide top-six forward. That was evident all play-offs, but especially when you lose Brock Boeser and your legitimate next best option may be never-played-a-game-in-the-NHL Jonathan Lekkerimaki to play in your top six. I am not sure where that is going to come from. Maybe you hope Hoglander takes another step, which isn't out of the question, but you're hoping for something as opposed to getting something known.

Ofcourse the team also needs another bonafide top four d-man and there just isn't that much cap space to make all of this work without some major steps from within the organization.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-21-2024, 01:52 PM   #1718
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
All he has to do is google "overuse of ivermectin" and he will find a lot of his symptoms could also be due to that. There are countless articles by real doctors to read and not one says humans should be taking it for covid. Damage from ivermectin overuse in animals is irreversible. I suspect this applies equally to humans. Hopefully, someone can convince him to stop before it is too late.
I'm not advocating Ivermectin for Covid, but it is pure idiocy when people refer to this as an animal drug. It has been and is used in animals, yes, but it has also been used to treat specific illness in humans for a very long time as well. Penicillin, some NSAIDs etc. fall into this category as well yet you don't hear anyone touting either as animal drugs, and overuse can be irreversible with these for anyone or any animal as well.

Like other drugs there are animal and human grade doses - only a complete moron would take an animal grade dose of this drug and I'd assume Sutter is not of that ilk. Either way, I wouldn't be messing with it to treat Covid symptoms as there's no proof that it helps at all, but I can kind of see how you could get to that point if nothing you had done for 2-3 years had been helping get you back to 'normal'.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-21-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:58 PM   #1719
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Tocchet say after game 1 he told them to play hard in the third so they would have no regrets this summer? They should feel a ton after the last two games.

I get not wanting to waste a shot on a chance that's very unlikely to go in and give up possession but they had plenty of opportunities to get a shot on net that could lead to something but refused to and tried to look for the perfect play.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:00 PM   #1720
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The only redeeming thing about the Canucks losing to the Oilers is that it gives us yet another reason to hate the Canucks.
Agreed! That had one job.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote