Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #1661
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I like Helenius. A lot. He's right in the Flames wheel house too. I do wonder if it came down to Iggy junior and Helenius, who would the Flames take? Center or wing?
I dislike Helenius as the pick, a lot. I still think he ends up a 3rd line C in the NHL. I think he is a safer pick than the other centres besides Celebrini in regards to being an NHL player but I don't think he has the upside of a Lindstrom, Catton, or even a Hage. Of course I am certainly no draft expert and may end up totally wrong but my gut feeling says to avoid Helenius. I definitely take Tij between these two.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #1662
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I dislike Helenius as the pick, a lot. I still think he ends up a 3rd line C in the NHL. I think he is a safer pick than the other centres besides Celebrini in regards to being an NHL player but I don't think he has the upside of a Lindstrom, Catton, or even a Hage. Of course I am certainly no draft expert and may end up totally wrong but my gut feeling says to avoid Helenius. I definitely take Tij between these two.
Agreed. I have this same feeling. Would really prefer any of Catton, Lindstrom or Iginla over Helenius. I have not looked into Hage much so I’m not sure about him.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:24 PM   #1663
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Montreal strongly looking at Iginla. If he is selected by Montreal, we need to take Koivu (as FFF mentioned earlier) as payback:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1775576280081015016
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #1664
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachukwagon View Post
Montreal strongly looking at Iginla. If he is selected by Montreal, we need to take Koivu (as FFF mentioned earlier) as payback:

Apparently he also that the Habs may still take Eiserman over Iginla if given the choice.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:47 PM   #1665
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Every team ahead of the Flames will try to see if they can get something out of the Flames to move up for Iginla. Just take BPA where you are at.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 PM   #1666
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Only solution:

Must. Tank. Harder.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #1667
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Only solution:

Must. Tank. Harder.
Like losing 6 of their last 7?

How do you tank harder than that?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #1668
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Like losing 6 of their last 7?

How do you tank harder than that?
By losing 7 of their last 7
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:10 PM   #1669
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
By losing 7 of their last 7
This guy gets it
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:25 PM   #1670
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Iginla is gone before we pick. On one hand, how cool would it be. But the pressure on him and the ability to subjectively evaluate and develop him alongside other prospects given his dad, Connie, etc. Most importantly, what if Tij falters?
Old 04-03-2024, 01:28 PM   #1671
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What pressure on him? Isn't there going to be pressure everywhere? If anything, as flames fans we will be conditioned to soft hand him for at least a few years post draft. A top 10 pick in another market likely won't be given any leeway, especially a market like Montreal.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:50 PM   #1672
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What pressure on him? Isn't there going to be pressure everywhere? If anything, as flames fans we will be conditioned to soft hand him for at least a few years post draft. A top 10 pick in another market likely won't be given any leeway, especially a market like Montreal.
No kidding. Just look at how they treated Reinbacher last summer
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 02:40 PM   #1673
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we draft Tij, I'd buy an Iginla jersey as soon as he picked his official number. I haven't bought a jersey since Monahan was drafted and picked his number.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 02:40 PM   #1674
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Saku's Boy Edition):

If there was an award for the most improved player in the 2024 NHL Draft, the trophy would surely go to Saku's son, RHC Aatos Koivu. He wasn't even on the radar last year, with only 7 points in 20 games in the U18 Sarja with TPS, and even spent 2 games in the U18 Mestis- the secondary league at the U18 level, so his rise has been nothing short of meteoric. His 2022-23 season was also limited to 30 games due to injury. This season, he has shuffled between the U18 level (22 points in 20 games), the U20 (31 points in 28 games, 5th in scoring for U-18 players), and even the Liiga (4 games, no points), and is as late-blooming as you can get, growing 6 inches over the last two seasons. He now measures 6'0" (some say he's 6'1"), weighs in at 165lbs, and is still quite young with a June 22nd birthday. Koivu centered the top line for Finland at the most recent 5 Nations, where he tied for 10th overall in scoring with 3 points in 4 games, and is currently in the playoffs with TPS' U20 squad, posting 6 points in 6 games.

As one can deduce, Koivu is still very much physically raw, and I can't imagine that going through a growth spurt like the one he has experienced would be easy, or good for one's co-ordination. Still, his top asset might just be his skating, with superb first-step quickness and acceleration, to go with a separation gear at top speed, and smooth edges for balance and agility. Koivu has flashes of playmaking ability, but leans more into his goal-scoring ability, as he owns a dangerous shot that he can pick corners with, and a release that fools goalies. His wrister could use more zip, but he can uncork an absolutely blistering one-timer that is hard to stop, and is already NHL-quality. He's good in-close too, with soft hands, and the moves to deke a netminder out of his jockstrap. As far as passing goes, he doesn't really do anything that would qualify as being too dynamic, and though he has a fair amount of smarts and awareness, he keeps it fairly simple. Like his father, Aatos is scrappy and plays with a big chip on his shoulder- he's ultra competitive, aggressive, and tough to play against. He finishes his checks, throws hits to dislodge pucks, and battles hard in the greasy areas. He is effective in transition, and can make clean entries with possession. He has shown the ability to pass off the rush, or attack the middle to shoot. On the forecheck, he catches up to puck-carriers quickly, and makes life difficult for them, taking away time and space.

Koivu's defensive game is in need of improvement, and he himself acknowledges that fact. He shows good puck-pursuit, and can cause turnovers on occasion that he then turns into offensive rushes, but he lacks composure, and tends to rush things when pressured. He doesn't always know where to be, and can be caught puck-watching from time-to-time. His overall IQ and awareness has been called into question, with some saying that he needs to speed up his processing, and use his teammates more. Koivu needs to add a lot more strength and bulk, as he can be overpowered in puck battles, and knocked off the puck- adding more muscle will help him in front of the net, as well. His stickhandling could use a tune-up, as he can overhandle the puck in flight, which leads to turnovers. Some of these issues could be tied to how much he's grown physically in such a short time, as it must cause some co-ordination problems, but he seems to have the right attitude, character, and mindset to improve his weaknesses and become an NHLer, as well as a fantastic support system in his corner. McKenzie has him ranked 60th, which is the late 2nd-round- I could definitely see that happening, but I'm going to guess early 3rd round.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-03-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 03:07 PM   #1675
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

His advisors should be giving him advice to mock the french accent during one of these meetings.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:32 PM   #1676
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve been saying it for a while, Iginlas going top 10 for sure.
People know the pedigree of Jerome and both of his boys appear to have the skill.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:34 PM   #1677
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
People know the pedigree of Jerome and both of his boys appear to have the skill.
Yep, they just don't know how to spell his name.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 03:38 PM   #1678
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

On the flipside, if Montreal does take Iginla then perhaps one of Lindstrom or Dickinson slide down to the Flames. Potential top C or 1/2 D would be a heck of a consolation prize. There's also the Eiserman wildcard, Iginla and Eiserman are projected to be the top Wingers taken after Demidov. If another team drafts for team needs and goes for a winger then the Flames will have more players sliding down to their spot.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #1679
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yep, they just don't know how to spell his name.
"Due to a submission error, with the 6th overall selection the Montreal Canadiens have selected Tig Igunla, 47-year old used car salesmen from Pasadena, CA"
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #1680
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Montreal takes Lindstrom if he is there.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft