Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #1621
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta contributes more than it's share to confederation through our industry, only to have other provinces block our attempts at continuing to provide that assistance. It's short sited for Quebec to block something that is helping them. They should be offering all they can.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #1622
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
So what? If Alberta was a separate country we would still receive this benefit (just like we benefit from having doctors and engineers educated in Iran and Nigeria) without the cost. It's a false "benefit" of federation. Those people would still come here for economic reasons.
Separatism is the answer my friends. The sooner we wake up to that the better.
I didn't think you were being sarcastic until I saw the wink at the end. Sarcastic?

So what?

Being a Province of Canada allows all these people to have come to Calgary without ANY restrictions. No wait times, no approvals, no "sorry, your MD doesn't apply here". The free flow of people is drastically easier over provincial borders than internationally and if you're too ignorant to even consider what I said as being even remotely worth noting there's no point having a discussion.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #1623
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Honest question, is high school now "highly educated"? Or do provinces subsidize university tuition a lot? I know federal money covers a great deal of tuition, but I don't know how much the provinces, especially the have not provinces spend in comparison. I assume Alberta has paid for a lot of that education.

Oil took a dive today after the Saudi OPEC minister spoke. Interesting comments on how they are not trying to protect their market share but rather just trying to keep customers happy. However they are going to meet in March to talk about possibly thinking about lowering production.
No, high school would not be considered highly educated but grade school is about 13 steps prior to being highly educated.

These teachers that educated all these kids through school are likely provincially funded teachers. They went to schools that were funded by provincial school systems (I'm not sure on how much federally and provincially) paid for by the taxes generated in that province. To pretend it's as simple as "dey tuuk rrrr munee" is obtuse.

Yes, we're getting a raw deal IMO. There's leaders out there that are happy with the money coming in while standing on their high horses and complaining about oil and pipelines. But simply looking at money out and pretending that's the ONLY side of the equation is wrong.

It doesn't mean the argument for better treatment of Alberta or fair consideration of pipelines is also wrong. We deserve to be treated better, simple as that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #1624
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What if Ontario 100 years ago said that all tax remittances by Ontarians have to be cycled back to Ontario?

How would that have impacted the development of Canada and its hinterlands? How would that have impacted the economic structure and social systems we enjoy today?

Or is there no dividend to maintaining a broadly equitable level of services across the federation? Some here think so.

I don't think the answer is that simple. In either case, we aren't discussing this like the policy issue that it is. We're discussing it to feel superior and project blame for our situation on well-worn tropes and myths that are mostly irrelevant.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #1625
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

Or is there no dividend to maintaining a broadly equitable level of services across the federation? Some here think so.

I don't think the answer is that simple. In either case, we aren't discussing this like the policy issue that it is. We're discussing it to feel superior and project blame for our situation on well-worn tropes and myths that are mostly irrelevant.
So if one agrees that Canadians should broadly look after each other's best interest, why does a significant portion of the country continually blockade the efforts of our country's most productive industry to create more wealth for all Canadians?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #1626
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I didn't think you were being sarcastic until I saw the wink at the end. Sarcastic?

So what?

Being a Province of Canada allows all these people to have come to Calgary without ANY restrictions. No wait times, no approvals, no "sorry, your MD doesn't apply here". The free flow of people is drastically easier over provincial borders than internationally and if you're too ignorant to even consider what I said as being even remotely worth noting there's no point having a discussion.
Why would their B.Engs. or MDs not be recognized here if Alberta separated or why would they not be able to cross the borders? That is a policy choice for the Alberta government, not related to the independence issue. The fact that Iranian engineers are or are not recognized here is a government policy, not an automatic product of Canadian independence. All I am saying is that all these people would still be able to come here regardless of whether we were part of the federation.
Thus to say that this is a benefit of being in Canada is somewhat artificial, as I would argue we would still be able to have this even as a separate country.
Plus, as PQ has helpfully demonstrated, the trick is not to actually separate but to demonstrate a credible enough threat to get a "good" deal...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #1627
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
So if one agrees that Canadians should broadly look after each other's best interest, why does a significant portion of the country continually blockade the efforts of our country's most productive industry to create more wealth for all Canadians?
Poor job convincing them it's worth it?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #1628
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Even if you don't believe in confederation, believe that the moment AB separates, the last pipeline through BC or eastern Canada would have been approved.

Does limiting future AB investment to essentially 0 in the oil and gas sector account for all the savings we would gain from not giving transfer payments? I have no idea, but I believe in the Nation of Canada.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #1629
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
No argument on that one.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #1630
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
What if Ontario 100 years ago said that all tax remittances by Ontarians have to be cycled back to Ontario?
That's how it mostly was, as governments were much smaller back and income tax only started due to WW1. Prior to that, federal revenues consisted mainly of tariffs on imports.

It's even argued that the policies then favored the development of the economies of Ontario/Quebec vs the agricultural and commodities economies of the rest of Canada because the high tariff meant that Canadians had to buy mostly Canadian made goods and the lack of free trade made selling commodities to other countries harder.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #1631
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Even if you don't believe in confederation, believe that the moment AB separates, the last pipeline through BC or eastern Canada would have been approved.

Does limiting future AB investment to essentially 0 in the oil and gas sector account for all the savings we would gain from not giving transfer payments? I have no idea, but I believe in the Nation of Canada.
As an immigrant, I feel no ties to "Canada" whatsover. Canada is Quebec and Ontario, plus appendages in my view. I do feel a lot of passion/attachment to Calgary and Alberta.
As an outsider, Canada seems like a swindle on the outlying, particularly Western, provinces - we will take your money but will give you no power. Seems like a great deal - in the same sense as when decisions about India were made in London...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #1632
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, I think thats why some people are suggesting the option of turning the tap off.

Usually that does a fine job of convincing people.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #1633
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
As an immigrant, I feel no ties to "Canada" whatsover. Canada is Quebec and Ontario, plus appendages in my view. I do feel a lot of passion/attachment to Calgary and Alberta.
As an outsider, Canada seems like a swindle on the outlying, particularly Western, provinces - we will take your money but will give you no power. Seems like a great deal - in the same sense as when decisions about India were made in London...
Awesome, but you ignore the main point of my post.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #1634
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Awesome, but you ignore the main point of my post.
About the oil access? Exactly the same as now? Again, the trick is to build a credible threat of separation, not actual separation - that's how you get what you want.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #1635
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a born and bred Canadian, I'd rank my allegiances:

Canada
Calgary
Alberta

For much of Canada's history, Central Canada was the economic engine of the country. Believe it or not, there was a time when manufacturing things was the key to prosperity in this world. Without the ballast of Central Canada, in population, industry, and culture, those outlying parts of Canada would have been swallowed up by the U.S. long ago. A million farmers and loggers do not make for a viable sovereign state.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #1636
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why would their B.Engs. or MDs not be recognized here if Alberta separated or why would they not be able to cross the borders? That is a policy choice for the Alberta government, not related to the independence issue. The fact that Iranian engineers are or are not recognized here is a government policy, not an automatic product of Canadian independence. All I am saying is that all these people would still be able to come here regardless of whether we were part of the federation.
Thus to say that this is a benefit of being in Canada is somewhat artificial, as I would argue we would still be able to have this even as a separate country.
Plus, as PQ has helpfully demonstrated, the trick is not to actually separate but to demonstrate a credible enough threat to get a "good" deal...
We're not playing in a world of hypothetical's.

We've received a great deal of benefit from being a part of Canada. Whether that be through easy flows of capital and migration, trading of goods and resources, ease of travel (I like to go to BC), I'm employed by a Ontario based entity, as I'm sure 100's of thousands are, ease of travel throughout the world on a Canadian passport. Yes Alberta may have transferred a great deal of wealth to other provinces and perhaps not at a fair share while being kicked when down. But to simply look at one side of the ledger is ignorant. So try a little harder.

"Separate country"
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #1637
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Fair enough, I think thats why some people are suggesting the option of turning the tap off.

Usually that does a fine job of convincing people.
I've never had much luck getting my way by stomping my feet.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #1638
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Again, the trick is to build a credible threat of separation, not actual separation - that's how you get what you want.

Calgary 2000 - Heart of the new West
Calgary 2015 - Be a part of the new Energy
Calgary 2016 - "Quebec 2.0".

Yeah, that's a legacy I want to be a part of.

"We wined like Quebec until we got what we wanted"
Old 02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #1639
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never had much luck getting my way by stomping my feet.
That's basically what other provinces do. Perhaps that's how this country works.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #1640
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That's basically what other provinces do. Perhaps that's how this country works.
That's how EVERYTHING works.