Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #1621
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
In the spirit of the Thunderdome, I guess BF4 tracks currently online players. Kinda surprised there are so many PC's in the mix:

PC - 115,915
PS3 - 87,737
360 - 71,678
Xbone - 28,031
PS4 - 41,207
Battlefield has always been a PC-first title, the CoD numbers are probably the reverse
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #1622
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Black Friday percentage figures for consoles:

Xbox One 31%
360 30%
PS3 15%
PS4 15%
Wii U 6%
Wii 1%

PS4 may have been limited by supply but Microsoft made sure they pumped out the consoles for the "occasion".

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/30/mi...-black-friday/
There is no stock of PS4 so its pretty hard to sell them...worldwide numbers the PS4 will have a larger install base they don't even release in Japan until next year
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1623
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Anyone who has ever played a FPS on a console sure isn't surprised.
Especially BF4. The limitations on the amount of players per game takes away from the game IMO.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #1624
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Especially BF4. The limitations on the amount of players per game takes away from the game IMO.
I think the next gen consoles are up to 64 players what is PC at?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #1625
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was firmly in the PS4 camp but starting to get swayed to the XB1 side. Not much of a gamer but do enjoy sports games and some of the blockbusters. I am debating with many of my friends which system to buy and most are saying xbox but I am getting the vibe they had 360 and want xbox because that us what they are used to.

Can someone who has both make a recommendation for someone who enjoys games but is not a hardcore gamer? Is all the connectivity that Xbox promotes really worth it?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #1626
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get whatever most of your friends have
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #1627
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There is no stock of PS4 so its pretty hard to sell them...worldwide numbers the PS4 will have a larger install base they don't even release in Japan until next year
with respect, isn't it a little early to be declaring a winner in terms of numbers? xbox one was only released in 13 markets, and the ps4 is having a staggered launch.

right now the constraint isn't which one is more or less popular (which would be determined with a completely full supply chain), it is the ability to get product to market. I am confident that each manufacturer could make 50% more than they already have and still sell out. that doesn't indicate anything other than the next gen is selling well for both these manufacturers.

And by the way, can we really define popularity? it is most consoles sold? is it most games overall? is it most games per console? is it most hours played? is it most profit per company per unit?

As gamers, we should all be hoping for a neck and neck race where each manufacturer introduces new and exciting things and tries to benchmark and then outdo the other.

If we assume that exclusives will always be exclusives, and that cross platform games will likely be equal, then it is about the OTHER things that each console will do. i'm quite confident that both sony and microsoft have some great things planned, because releasing consoles onto the market with both having dropped services from last gen isn't going to cut it long term.

Last edited by McG; 12-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #1628
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I was firmly in the PS4 camp but starting to get swayed to the XB1 side. Not much of a gamer but do enjoy sports games and some of the blockbusters. I am debating with many of my friends which system to buy and most are saying xbox but I am getting the vibe they had 360 and want xbox because that us what they are used to.

Can someone who has both make a recommendation for someone who enjoys games but is not a hardcore gamer? Is all the connectivity that Xbox promotes really worth it?
It has some great features, but none of them are must have (yet).

As a pure gaming machine, Sony wins. I also think playstation + is the best deal in gaming.

The xbox voice and gesture commands work about 80 percent of the time.my favorite feature so far is the snap feature. Love football on TV while playing forza or KI.

Ask yourself if that is worth the extra 100 bucks.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1629
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 retail rush in Germany (are they not able to pre-order?). Heavy animated gif from Noegaf.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1630
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's just so un-german. Those people don't move and act like robots at all!
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #1631
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This might explain the initial failure rates

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #1632
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
with respect, isn't it a little early to be declaring a winner in terms of numbers? xbox one was only released in 13 markets, and the ps4 is having a staggered launch.

right now the constraint isn't which one is more or less popular (which would be determined with a completely full supply chain), it is the ability to get product to market. I am confident that each manufacturer could make 50% more than they already have and still sell out. that doesn't indicate anything other than the next gen is selling well for both these manufacturers.

And by the way, can we really define popularity? it is most consoles sold? is it most games overall? is it most games per console? is it most hours played? is it most profit per company per unit?

As gamers, we should all be hoping for a neck and neck race where each manufacturer introduces new and exciting things and tries to benchmark and then outdo the other.

If we assume that exclusives will always be exclusives, and that cross platform games will likely be equal, then it is about the OTHER things that each console will do. i'm quite confident that both sony and microsoft have some great things planned, because releasing consoles onto the market with both having dropped services from last gen isn't going to cut it long term.
nice story, all I said was that the PS4 will have a larger install base worldwide...and it will
Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1633
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
The xbox voice and gesture commands work about 80 percent of the time.my favorite feature so far is the snap feature. Love football on TV while playing forza or KI.

Ask yourself if that is worth the extra 100 bucks.
That's not all.

A co-worker was telling me about his first week with his Xbox One, and he was playing Dead Rising 3. He was sneaking around, trying to be stealthy, when his wife comes in and starts talking to him about something. The zombies heard his wife talking, were alerted to his position, and started coming after him. He later found this incredibly useful by sneaking around, yelling at his TV to get the zombies to move to that position, then sneaking to the other side of the area and taking them out.

Similarly, he found that Forza Motorsport would ramp up the gameplay based on his heart-rate. Things would get more intense if he was less excited to get his adrenaline going.

This is all stuff I said I had 'hoped' Kinect 2.0 would be used for, and it sounds like it's pretty bang-on. That's amazing, and I'd say the ability to dynamically change gameplay is worth the $100 as well.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #1634
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
nice story, all I said was that the PS4 will have a larger install base worldwide...and it will
nice reply and greetings from the past. It must be a drag to come back to 2013 and tell us how it is going to be in the future, like history class.

If you aren't from the future, then I gather that you are an expert in predicting manufacturing defects over a number of years including the future product path of both hardware and software design and its impact on worldwide consumption.

there is zero certainty in business especially when it concerns companies and the public.

What happens if Sony goes bankrupt or if Microsoft carves the Xbox out? yeah, I don't know either.

We can go to sound bites though instead of conversations; here's mine: "it depends."
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #1635
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
nice reply and greetings from the past. It must be a drag to come back to 2013 and tell us how it is going to be in the future, like history class.

If you aren't from the future, then I gather that you are an expert in predicting manufacturing defects over a number of years including the future product path of both hardware and software design and its impact on worldwide consumption.

there is zero certainty in business especially when it concerns companies and the public.

What happens if Sony goes bankrupt or if Microsoft carves the Xbox out? yeah, I don't know either.

We can go to sound bites though instead of conversations; here's mine: "it depends."
Consoles sales are going to be close in north america...do you really think xbox one will sell better in Europe and ASIA than the PS4. I can guarantee that PS4 will have a larger install base in 2 months time, after that I guess something could totally go of the rails but I doubt it

Last edited by dino7c; 12-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #1636
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought the XB1 (will get the ps4 when they come available) because I could get it for the cost of a ps4 and I could find them in stock.

I like it so far, but I only have bf4 right now and that game is flat ass broken
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #1637
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been having a damn fine time with the One in its first week. I bought one of the PDP TV mounts for the Kinect at Bestbuy today so I've got everything nice and situated.

The OS/interface obviously has a few kinks to get ironed out, but such are early stages of life for a brand new console. You can see that the potential's there for some cool stuff, and it already feels quite "normal" to be navigating the system via voice command. I still have a PS4 on pre-order but I may cancel it until there are some more compelling games on offer. The PS4's pure power appeals to me and I wish the One's version of BF4 had the same visual fidelity, but the difference doesn't seem significant enough to go dropping the extra coin at this exact moment. I also love the One controller for that genre (especially the new triggers and their feedback).
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #1638
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Consoles sales are going to be close in north america...do you really think xbox one will sell better in Europe and ASIA than the PS4. I can guarantee that PS4 will have a larger install base in 2 months time, after that I guess something could totally go of the rails but I doubt it
I hate to break it to you but Asia is a market that doesn't count for #### these days. Last gen over half of the 360s sales were from North America and 30% in Europe. 2/3 of the PS3's sales were in the NA/European markets. Out of the 159.98 million units sold between the 360/PS3 Japan has only accounted for 11.26 million units. In the grand scheme of things, Asia simply doesn't matter anymore. Unless you're talking about portables... they eat those up.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 12-02-2013 at 06:27 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #1639
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Unlike most people here I own both and an informed opinion and for you it's pretty obvious the XB1 is the choice for you because; a) your friends are getting them and b) you aren't a hardcore gamer. The XB1 has much more to offer for casual gamers as it functions as a media hub and the PS4 is strictly a game console. If all you did was play games all the time I would lean to the PS4 because it's cheaper but that's not you.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1640
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't you guys just enjoy your consoles? Does it make you like your PS4/XB1 less if it's not winning ultimate sales? It's like the silly cell phone fanboy war where people get mad if you don't share their opinion on best cell phone OS.

All I will say before people start arguing about regions is that North America is the main market if you are looking for software attachment as Microsoft won only that market and sold considerably more software than PS3 even though they were both neck and neck in worldwide sales. I understood that it was Microsoft that was having yield issues with the XB1 and Sony was having no issues making PS4's so it is interesting that Sony didn't have enough consoles to sell during the biggest shopping weekend of the year in the most important market.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote