Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2024, 03:29 PM   #1601
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I told you guys it's a thing!!!
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:04 PM   #1602
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What is Punjabi style pizza?
Garlic, ginger, cilantro, onion, peppers, tomatoes and paneer cheese.

That was the one I had from Cosmic Pizza.

Was pretty good.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 11:20 PM   #1603
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The tropical chicken as well. It should be copied everywhere, but it isn't for some stupid reason.

For anybody down in the south, I had Pizza 64 over the weekend (Shawnessy). It wasn't world changing or anything, but as far as greek/East Indian style, it was more than solid. Great option when you don't want one of the chains and Sammy's is too busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Bro, imma have to stop all your pizza recommendations in this thread, they're all bad, lol. Had Pizza64, it was your typical "this is good if you're drunk late at night" pizza. It was pretty bad as an actual option. CPU? lol

I mean, if I could taste a good example of this "east indian" pizza kick you're on I'd be on board, but I'm going to need something way better.
This was my response to Russic's recommendation of pizza64 awhile ago. It was so bad.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:16 PM   #1604
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking for quick answer - Any good Donair places around Southlands and Macleod Trail -South?

My wife is offering to bring me a donair home from Calgary tonight if it's around her work area. lol
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 06:21 PM   #1605
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Looking for quick answer - Any good Donair places around Southlands and Macleod Trail -South?

My wife is offering to bring me a donair home from Calgary tonight if it's around her work area. lol

Haven’t been for a while, but used to like the donairs at Cedars Deli, tucked in the corner by Save on Foods, between southland and heritage
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 07:56 PM   #1606
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Beirut Street Food is good in that area. Closed earlier though I believe.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 09:40 AM   #1607
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
Haven’t been for a while, but used to like the donairs at Cedars Deli, tucked in the corner by Save on Foods, between southland and heritage
Thanks, she ended up going with Jerusalem Sharma as there was one fairly close by. Checking some Google reviews are all over the place but this particular one had better reviews than the rest. Hope it's good
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 AM   #1608
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Donair Pizza?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #1609
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, she ended up going with Jerusalem Sharma as there was one fairly close by. Checking some Google reviews are all over the place but this particular one had better reviews than the rest. Hope it's good
So, what did you think? I did not enjoy the one time I had Jerusalem Shwarma.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #1610
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried Windy City Pizza in Okotoks yet?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:26 PM   #1611
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone tried Windy City Pizza in Okotoks yet?
Yes - the Chicago style is the closest you will find to the real thing around here. I think it takes 40 minutes for them to prepare it though.

Last edited by troutman; 03-12-2024 at 06:21 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM   #1612
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tried Acadia Pizza the other night, as we were looking for a new place to try that isnt Sammy's. the 4.8 on google reviews sealed it for us and we ordered.

Fan-freaking-tastic pizza, family-owned in Acadia since forever and I can't believe I have never tried this place.

Reminds me of my favourite pizza growing up, Olive Grove in Midnapore (and yes I've tried the Olive Grove takeout in Douglas Glen and its not quite the same)
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 04:50 PM   #1613
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I also recently tried Acadia and it was quite good. A little too far to justify ordering regularly but overall quite satisfying. Very filling. I was comatose after eating. I had at least 2 pieces too many.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #1614
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Can anyone help explain to me what the heck is happening with a pizza place in Northmount. (1350 Northmount Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2L 0E8)

Originally it opened up as Papa Murphys. Lasted a couple months and closed only to emerge as....

POW Pizza, same owner as Without Papers. Once his nutball crazy came out during the pandemic it went under quite quickly and was quickly rebranded and reopened as..... 8 Mile Pizza. Everyone assumed it was the same owner, but nope, it was apparently a different ownership.

A couple months later, it rebranded again..... This time to Red Top Pizza. This place I actually tried and it was pretty good. At the point, no idea the ownership or what the heck is happening but seemed to be around for a year.

Until recently is has rebranded AGAIN. This time to New York Pizzeria.

I have no idea what is happening but by my count that is 5 businesses in the same location in 3ish years. I have no idea what is happening besides them changing hands every 3-6 months.

Does anyone know anything on this?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:54 PM   #1615
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Can anyone help explain to me what the heck is happening with a pizza place in Northmount. (1350 Northmount Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2L 0E8)

Originally it opened up as Papa Murphys. Lasted a couple months and closed only to emerge as....

POW Pizza, same owner as Without Papers. Once his nutball crazy came out during the pandemic it went under quite quickly and was quickly rebranded and reopened as..... 8 Mile Pizza. Everyone assumed it was the same owner, but nope, it was apparently a different ownership.

A couple months later, it rebranded again..... This time to Red Top Pizza. This place I actually tried and it was pretty good. At the point, no idea the ownership or what the heck is happening but seemed to be around for a year.

I have no idea what is happening but by my count that is 5 businesses in the same location in 3ish years. I have no idea what is happening besides them changing hands every 3-6 months.

I have no idea what is happening
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 02:18 PM   #1616
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

Pure speculation but perhaps a scheme of investments into Canada for the permanent residency program? This could coincide with the landlord where the scheme is the same. I have a storefront, you make the investment, work the place with existing staff for a short while, shut down and we move onto the next person?

You see that fairly frequently from other countries. They have software engineering backgrounds or something and then decide to pursue their dreams of opening up an Italian restaurant in Canada with zero cooking experience and shut down. Get the PR and then move on. A cheap way to land into Canada and bypass some of the immigration wait times.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #1617
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Most likely a turn key restaurant that is being leased or subleased.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:31 PM   #1618
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Pure speculation but perhaps a scheme of investments into Canada for the permanent residency program? This could coincide with the landlord where the scheme is the same. I have a storefront, you make the investment, work the place with existing staff for a short while, shut down and we move onto the next person?

You see that fairly frequently from other countries. They have software engineering backgrounds or something and then decide to pursue their dreams of opening up an Italian restaurant in Canada with zero cooking experience and shut down. Get the PR and then move on. A cheap way to land into Canada and bypass some of the immigration wait times.

That is bizarre and a lot of effort for that purpose.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:27 PM   #1619
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That is bizarre and a lot of effort for that purpose.

It's not bizarre at all, it literally is happening. This isn't a scheme I just made up in my head, it's a program that exists.

https://sobirovs.com/canada-investor...t-immigration/

A lot of countries have golden visa programs and they have been getting abused for a long time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-checkout=true

A few friends of mine who were in the restaurant business have become victims in this scheme, partly due to stupidity on their end. Sell restaurant business to a foreign investor who structures purchase to meet the minimum required investment with a promise to make balloon payment at a specific date in the future to fulfill full purchase price.

After a while, you fold the business or just do a midnight move leaving the landlord holding the bag.

On the flip side a few friends from a landlord perspective are also dealing with this. After being being burned 3 times it clued into him that perhaps foreign investors with no knowledge of the restaurant business probably aren't the best tenants to be approving leases to. Best to stick to people who know the business.

I can't say for certain if this pizza place is being used in the above matter but it's definitely very possible. You see this in locations where there is a constant turnover and it makes you wonder what is going on here??

Another popular scam is to help fund a commercial real estate purchase with money from Business Development Canada. An investor goes through the program for the opening of a business, say a new pizza restaurant, get's some financing and grant money, operates shop for a short while and then potentially folds the business using the grant money to assist with the purchase of a real estate deal. Proceeds to then use the unleased space for the above mentioned visa program or for legit purposes.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #1620
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh. I wonder if that's what happened to Poutinarama on Edmonton Trail. The original owner sold it to some young fellas who closed shop after a couple of weeks and then flipped it to new owners who turned it into a shawarma shop overnight.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post: