Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #1601
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And the thing is, it could have been okay.

Geordi acts all super creepy. Brahms finds out that he's actually been even creepier than that, and then she understands why, sets Geordi straight and like a chastised child he wises up and acts like a professional.

But then she apologizes to him at the end?? Naw...theres no coming back from that. If only they'd not done that.
oh yes, the fact that Geordi just conveniently knew all these very specific details about her personal life and interests, and attempted to use them during the 1-on-1 work meeting in his personal quarters (for which he slipped into something more comfortable for without warning her) was nearly as bad as the holodeck french kiss bot.

Troi was amazingly in control of her emotions when she discovered her Barclay sex clone. that Riker was grinning his face off the whole time is only more evidence that he's a no-good manchild XO.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #1602
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
oh yes, the fact that Geordi just conveniently knew all these very specific details about her personal life and interests, and attempted to use them during the 1-on-1 work meeting in his personal quarters (for which he slipped into something more comfortable for without warning her) was nearly as bad as the holodeck french kiss bot.

Troi was amazingly in control of her emotions when she discovered her Barclay sex clone. that Riker was grinning his face off the whole time is only more evidence that he's a no-good manchild XO.
Imagine if Jellicho had been there and discovered that in Barclay's universe he wears a saddle and Barclay just rides him around...

Executed on the spot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #1603
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm liking this whole Captain Jellico fixes everything wrong with TNG leadership. when they got stuck in the Enterprise destruction time loop, Jellico would have just yelled at the timeline to straighten itself out and that there would be no more temporal anomalies on his watch.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #1604
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You've got to think that that would be a very common occurrence with holotech.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #1605
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
You know it. They deal with it a lot more in DS9.

Quark's Holo-Suites were essentially exactly what you'd think they are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-06-2022, 05:19 PM   #1606
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lower Decks this week...

Old 10-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #1607
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I loved how Jellico latched onto Data and Data was like "shrug?" after every time he asked him to follow him.

All Worf had to do was say "hmmp finally!" on the bridge in response to an order from Data which caused Data to take him into the Ready Room and chew him out. At the time, Data told Worf he never saw Riker show an insubordinate attitude toward Picard. Was that before or after this episode? Riker was the most insubordinate prick who was lazy, comfortable, and questions Jellico's every order because he thought he knew his own ship better.

All this stuff about Riker being one of the finest officers in the fleet - I think he actually demonstrated this in the first season and after that he just became a lazy character who lost all ambition and decided to play trombone, grow a beard, and get fat on the flagship.

If Jellico was in command during The Best of Both Worlds he would have fired the deflector dish weapon or ordered ramming speed on first sight before being captured like Picard and letting them adapt to it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-06-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:21 AM   #1608
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Lower Decks this week...

I give them credit for doing something completely different in that episode, and also having one of the greatest lines in Star Trek History

"The engines are overloading!!!! What the F44k is going on"?

I don't think it was great and they were pushing hard for shock moments like weird bird people robot sex.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #1609
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It'd be the worst job for a lower deck crewman assigned to clean the holodeck.

Oh great Riker is coming out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #1610
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It'd be the worst job for a lower deck crewman assigned to clean the holodeck.

Oh great Riker is coming out.
I assumed the matter recyclers would take care of anything left over after the program ends. Think about that for a second the next time you order a tea, earl grey, hot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 08:15 AM   #1611
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I assumed the matter recyclers would take care of anything left over after the program ends. Think about that for a second the next time you order a tea, earl grey, hot.
In DS9 there are actual shots of Quark cleaning the Holosuites.

Because, inexplicably, they are carpeted...so he's in there with a vacuum cleaner.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #1612
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think it was great and they were pushing hard for shock moments like weird bird people robot sex.
It's the cool thing to do with animated shows these days, at least Lower Decks isn't going for the incest angle like Rick and Morty
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #1613
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I do think one of the best things Lower Decks has done is making an Exocomp an Ensign. Such an amazing callback. It's just too bad this Exocomp is a bit annoying.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #1614
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know it. They deal with it a lot more in DS9.

Quark's Holo-Suites were essentially exactly what you'd think they are.
Ds9 takes it more head on. In one episode, someone pays quark to try and make a holo sex clone of Kira, and he spends it trying to creep shot her with a camera. Appropriately he gets the #### beat out of him.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #1615
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CTV Sci-Fi seems to be running through all TNG episodes at the moment, last night was the one where Brahms visits the Enterprise and they're dealing with the baby space leech sucking on reactor juice. it's still very entertaining but wow did it ever age like Ferengi milk.

Geordi spends the whole time awkwardly attempting to seduce a married woman that clearly has no interest. he even sets up a dinner date ambush under the guise of a working meeting. then she discovers her much more "receptive" copy on the holodeck (every time you touch the engine, you're touching me...lol) and after a perfectly understandable horrified reaction, Geordi yells at her that she's being ungrateful for his offerings of friendship. the episode ends with Leah apologizing to Geordi for being too absorbed in her work to reciprocate his friendly intentions...which is total bs because his reaction to the news that she's married is totally not that of someone who just wants to be friends.

so yeah, nice time capsule into early 90's social standards. simultaneous laughter and cringing can sometimes be the best way to enjoy classic TV.
Haha this is my dad and I's least favorite episode.

It makes it worse that later on, in the episode where they find Scotty stuck in the old transporter buffer, it shows them having a conversation about the events of this episode. So when he meets arguably the most famous engineer in Starfleet history, that's the story he tells.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #1616
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Instead of a celebration of TNG, we get more Into the Darkness and evil Moriarty and Lore. Great.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #1617
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Instead of a celebration of TNG, we get more Into the Darkness and evil Moriarty and Lore. Great.
I dont know what to say. I'm....cautiously optimistic?

I think thats what I said before season 2 and I had that cautious optimism thoroughly beaten out of me like a Political Dissident in a Siberian Gulag.

Maybe more TNG is the answer? Perhaps?

Or...this is going to be like a dog scraping its ass along a rug.

It could go either way really.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #1618
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in. That trailer looks badass.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #1619
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in. That trailer looks badass.
You know its a lie!! You literally know it!

They did the same thing last season!

Old 10-09-2022, 12:18 AM   #1620
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Picard writing crew, I think they’re best to just keep things simple like they seem to be doing here. Just a straight up villain who wants to blow up the Federation and some deep cut TNG villains making a comeback. They’ve tried to do more complicated storylines the first two seasons and bungled it up. This could at least be fun and entertaining.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote