Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2024, 07:39 PM   #141
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I mean I get it he’s easy to dislike and has no personality but common.

He’s the best offensive player we have probably seen. I don’t think winning is part of the talent package.

I think we are talking purely talent here.

I feel disgusted having to defend an Oiler player.
McDavid's best offensive season isn't anywhere close to Gretzky even after adjusting for eras.

McDavid: 153 points during a season where the average team scored 3.18 goals/game

Gretzky: 215 points during a season where the average team scored 3.97 goals/game.

Oh, and McDavid got two bonus games since the schedule expanded.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 08:04 PM   #142
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And McDavid is playing against a much more diluted talent pool. When Gretzky played, there was half as many teams in the league.

Even strength performance is another big factor to consider.

I don't think McDavid should be anywhere near the Mount Rushmore of hockey. Guys like Orr, Lemieux and Howe are also way ahead.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:05 PM   #143
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
McDavid's best offensive season isn't anywhere close to Gretzky even after adjusting for eras.

McDavid: 153 points during a season where the average team scored 3.18 goals/game

Gretzky: 215 points during a season where the average team scored 3.97 goals/game.

Oh, and McDavid got two bonus games since the schedule expanded.
How many goalies are there in today’s game that are under 6’0”? Hell, how many are under 6’3”?

I’ve met Vernon on a number of occasions. I’m 5’9” and I’ve got 2” on him, at least.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:05 PM   #144
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I was most impressed by ovechkin when he committed to learning the defensive side Halfway into his career. It put him into conversations that he wasn't party to before. If McDavid expands his abilities in the same way, I'll be more impressed.

Full game commitment is why Mario is shoulder to shoulder with Gretzky in some minds, he was just a more rounded player.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #145
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
How many goalies are there in today’s game that are under 6’0”? Hell, how many are under 6’3”?

I’ve met Vernon on a number of occasions. I’m 5’9” and I’ve got 2” on him, at least.
But his era-adjusted scoring rates already account for the inferior goaltending.

The 80s had higher scoring, partially because the goaltenders were smaller. Despite this, Gretzky scored a lot more in his era than McDavid is doing in his era.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 08:09 PM   #146
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
And McDavid is playing against a much more diluted talent pool. When Gretzky played, there was half as many teams in the league.

I don't think McDavid should be anywhere near the Mount Rushmore of hockey. Guys like Orr, Lemieux and Howe are also way ahead.
To counter that point, consider the following.

Goaltending back then was a joke compared to now. Fitness and general athleticism is much, much better now, and that's especially important if you're checking and defending.

But also, there are tighter restrictions on interference, slashing, hooking, holding etc. that hinder offensive players compared to Gretzky's era.

There are pros and cons to each era, but talent is talent, and you have to admit it when you see it. McDavid is supremely talented. If he wins a championship or two, you'll have to put him up there with the greatest of all time (yuck).
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:11 PM   #147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sure...but most of those guys werent what we'd modernly consider 'Professionals.'

Most of the goalies were tiny and wearing antique Roman Armour just hoping the puck would hit them, defensemen could hardly skate especially after chugging a six-pack between periods.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:11 PM   #148
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post

I have no clue. Maybe goaltenders are taller. Maybe all positions are taller.

What I do know is that average teams are scoring 80% of what was being scored in 1985-86, but McDavid is scoring 71% of Gretzky. He's not the best offensive player ever to be seen.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:13 PM   #149
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

came in for Hanifin and Markstrom news and walked into the McDavid appreciation thread...yeesh
Old 02-19-2024, 08:23 PM   #150
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people may be misunderstanding.

Just speaking strictly from a talent perspective. Not leadership, winning, or cups. Not defensive awareness or anything. Just as a pure offensive player.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:40 PM   #151
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure I buy the argument that McDavid is playing against a much more diluted talent pool.

How many people do you think were playing hockey in the 1970’s to the 90’s? I’d bet there are substantially more now. Factor in the growth the sport has seen south of the border, ironically due to Gretzky’s influence, and I’d bet it’s not close. Then add on everything contemporary science has taught us about performance (nutrition, sleep, training, longevity, equipment). Gretzky himself has been saying for quite a while today’s player is better than it was when he played.

In Gretzky’s heyday, there were probably 2-3 guys in the league who could shoot it 100mph. There might be 2-3 guys on every team in the league now that can do that.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:15 PM   #152
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thread bump…Oiler circle jerk is over, Hanifin is headed to market. Discuss.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 09:17 PM   #153
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Thread bump…Oiler circle jerk is over, Hanifin is headed to market. Discuss.
He should buy California oranges. They are in season.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:19 PM   #154
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa has allowed 13GA in their last 2 games. Have to imagine they're looking at both Hanifin/Tanev as options.

They've proven time and time again they're willing to pay big at the deadline
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 PM   #155
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carolina has to be serious as well for Markstrom. They have some terrible goaltending and a team that’s ready to take a step.

Carolina is a funny trade partner for Markstrom. I see they have the same leading shots on goal for and against but a terrible save %. Similar to what we had with Markstrom last season.

Can he thrive in a low shot volume system ?
Old 02-19-2024, 09:24 PM   #156
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Tampa has allowed 13GA in their last 2 games. Have to imagine they're looking at both Hanifin/Tanev as options.

They've proven time and time again they're willing to pay big at the deadline
Problem is Tampa has a huge deficit in picks and prospects now.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:26 PM   #157
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When Gretzky played Russians, Czechs and Slovaks did not play in the league. When Gretzky played the USA would finish 5th in a best on best tournament not be the odds on favourites. Not that I think McDavid is better, but the overall talent pool in a 32 team league is far superior to what it was in a 21 team league.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-19-2024 at 11:04 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:28 PM   #158
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tampa would be one of the worst trade partners for us for Hanifin.

I think Hanifin ends up in Florida. A group of former Flames and superstar former Flame going on a cup run would be so us.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:30 PM   #159
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekkerhead View Post
Hate his guts but you can’t deny he’s a generation talent.
What's he ever won?
Old 02-19-2024, 09:31 PM   #160
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think people may be misunderstanding.

Just speaking strictly from a talent perspective. Not leadership, winning, or cups. Not defensive awareness or anything. Just as a pure offensive player.
But why would you judge a hockey player by removing so many important attributes of a hockey player?
Is Zegras is the 2nd most talented player in the NHL?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: