Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #141
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Canada never sent it's Olympic team to the worlds in the past. Gushue is the first due to getting a wildcard to the Brier and then winning it.
Mouat shouldn't complain. He got to go to the worlds in 2018 when Kyle Smith went to the Olympics.

Last edited by GirlySports; 03-21-2022 at 01:41 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

and an actual announcement!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1505938637560721414

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #143
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What a strange announcement.
Seem like they tried to be funny, but it just doesn't land.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #144
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Team Homan saying today they will be announcing their new lead later this week. Homan, Miskew, Wilkes staying together and likely playing out of Ontario as all three were born there. Province of birth or place of residence the two criteria for home province.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #145
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Einarson really struggling. Settling for singles. It should be 4-1 instead of 2-1

Old 03-21-2022, 06:57 PM   #146
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1505960225366585352
Old 03-22-2022, 11:29 PM   #147
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Einarson has bounced back nicely with two wins a row. Sweeting seems to have found her game which will make a huge difference if she can stay at 85% or more. Beat Sweden tomorrow and they will be sitting very nicely at 6-1.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #148
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
Einarson has bounced back nicely with two wins a row. Sweeting seems to have found her game which will make a huge difference if she can stay at 85% or more. Beat Sweden tomorrow and they will be sitting very nicely at 6-1.
Canada is 4-2. If they beat Sweden they will be 5-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #149
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

BIG 3 points for Canada in the first end. It's so important to start with hammer in big games like this, just psychologically.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #150
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
BIG 3 points for Canada in the first end. It's so important to start with hammer in big games like this, just psychologically.
Ever since hammer started getting decided by the draw to the button, I have made it such a huge priority on my teams. Kevin Martin talked about this for years, and how much an advantage it is in the 8 end games.

I think our team played 35 games this year and we had the clockwise turn every single practice. If we won the coin flip we took whatever practice would give us that turn. It just kept us locked in. There were several variations of the LSD. Some were everyone gets one rock up, one rock back, and then the one LSD. Some were everyone gets two up, two back, one LSD. The weirdest was one person got one up, one back, and then the LSD. No one else got to throw a rock in practice. Provincials was 10 minutes of unlimited rocks, and then two LSDs, with the combined score being used. I think we were 24-5 in getting hammer in the first end. Some were predetermined with playoff seeding. I never lost one all year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #151
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Ever since hammer started getting decided by the draw to the button, I have made it such a huge priority on my teams. Kevin Martin talked about this for years, and how much an advantage it is in the 8 end games.

I think our team played 35 games this year and we had the clockwise turn every single practice. If we won the coin flip we took whatever practice would give us that turn. It just kept us locked in. There were several variations of the LSD. Some were everyone gets one rock up, one rock back, and then the one LSD. Some were everyone gets two up, two back, one LSD. The weirdest was one person got one up, one back, and then the LSD. No one else got to throw a rock in practice. Provincials was 10 minutes of unlimited rocks, and then two LSDs, with the combined score being used. I think we were 24-5 in getting hammer in the first end. Some were predetermined with playoff seeding. I never lost one all year.
I wish they would show this, as the first part of the game or broadcast.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #152
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

steals in the 2nd and 3rd and Canada's up 5-0. Sweden cannot figure out the goofy World ice. Hasselborg is curling 30%.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #153
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I wish they would show this, as the first part of the game or broadcast.
There are so many things wrong with how curling is broadcast. They seldom show lead rocks, and when they do they are split screen with a commercial we've all see 500+ times. Could you imagine the NFL not showing kick offs to start a half or after a score? They do the recaps way too often, or show what is upcoming, instead of show lead rocks and/or the LSD before the games. They don't need to show the practices, but they can take 45 seconds to show both teams' LSDs. I understand curling needs sponsorship to survive. If you can't show every shot in the 11th end of the Brier final, something is massively wrong. There are about 10 things they show instead of lead rocks, and then recap what we missed. That is a poor formula. The camera angle for a lot of the overhead angles is wrong, since it won't show the guards or the back of the rings.

I understand the goal is for people of all levels to understand and enjoy the broadcast, so I've accepted that Vic plays the dumb guy and asks dumb questions. I doesn't matter that I don't like how he repeats things while the stone is in play (gotta get it by, gotta get it by, brush hard to get it by). But what can be immediately corrected is the announcers need to stop talking as much. Instead of guessing what Koe's going to do, they could just listen to Koe and his team debate the shot. In the 9th end of the Brier Koe had hammer. He chose to just come up to shot rock, in order to give Gushue a steal of one. You could see this by how Morris and Koe acted in the house with their brooms. You could hear this from Neufeld saying throw draw to the button weight. If you are drawing the button you don't say draw the button weight. At home we could barely hear it because Russ and Vic were talking. The rock was halfway down and they both thought Koe missed the shot. It's embarrassing how often something like that happens.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #154
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the analysis and speculation by the announcers who have curled at a high level. Vic is kind of useless but I want to hear what the others have to say.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #155
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
There are so many things wrong with how curling is broadcast. They seldom show lead rocks, and when they do they are split screen with a commercial we've all see 500+ times. Could you imagine the NFL not showing kick offs to start a half or after a score? They do the recaps way too often, or show what is upcoming, instead of show lead rocks and/or the LSD before the games. They don't need to show the practices, but they can take 45 seconds to show both teams' LSDs. I understand curling needs sponsorship to survive. If you can't show every shot in the 11th end of the Brier final, something is massively wrong. There are about 10 things they show instead of lead rocks, and then recap what we missed. That is a poor formula. The camera angle for a lot of the overhead angles is wrong, since it won't show the guards or the back of the rings.

I understand the goal is for people of all levels to understand and enjoy the broadcast, so I've accepted that Vic plays the dumb guy and asks dumb questions. I doesn't matter that I don't like how he repeats things while the stone is in play (gotta get it by, gotta get it by, brush hard to get it by). But what can be immediately corrected is the announcers need to stop talking as much. Instead of guessing what Koe's going to do, they could just listen to Koe and his team debate the shot. In the 9th end of the Brier Koe had hammer. He chose to just come up to shot rock, in order to give Gushue a steal of one. You could see this by how Morris and Koe acted in the house with their brooms. You could hear this from Neufeld saying throw draw to the button weight. If you are drawing the button you don't say draw the button weight. At home we could barely hear it because Russ and Vic were talking. The rock was halfway down and they both thought Koe missed the shot. It's embarrassing how often something like that happens.
It's worse at the worlds because they don't care about tv. I think at the Brier there is some break between ends for commercials. So at the worlds, they're coming back and it's second stones. A world game shaves off 30 minutes and it usually within 3 hours.

And now Canada in a bit of trouble, their turn not to be able to figure out goofy ice.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #156
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I like the analysis and speculation by the announcers who have curled at a high level. Vic is kind of useless but I want to hear what the others have to say.
I enjoyed Joanne Courtney during the Olympics and I like the Grand Slam coverage as it is usually Kevin Martin and Joan McCusker. Sportsnet also uses different camera angles (a camera that from either end that gives the viewer a real eye for how much curl the ice has) and does "around the ring coverage" showing some of each game at a time. I have really had enough of Russ Howard over the years and will often watch with the sound muted, as mentioned by Squiggs, shut up Russ and lets hear the players discuss their strategy/ shot. In example Squiggs used however Vic and Russ may have been talking thinking we wouldn't be able to hear the players as Morris and Hebert both tossed their mic's earlier in the game.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #157
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tracy Fleury joins Team Homan

https://twitter.com/user/status/1507507837257269253
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #158
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Superstar squad....yikes.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #159
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Superstar squad....yikes.
Going after Keri.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #160
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

So Canada missed a bye to the semifinals by .27cm LSD. Will have to play a QF today against Denmark, which might not be a bad thing.