Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #141
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved that scene, I always loved in the Star Trek Movies that Kirk had the final lines when they headed out.

Star Trek TMP

Heading Sir

(Kirk waves his hand)

Out there thataway

Star Trek 2

McCoy: He's not really dead. As long as we remember him.
Kirk: It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. A far better resting place that I go to than I have ever known.
Carol Marcus: Is that a poem?
Kirk: No. Something Spock was trying to tell me. On my birthday.
McCoy: You okay, Jim? How do you feel?
Kirk: Young. I feel young.

Star Trek 4

Sulu: ...I'm counting on the *Excelsior*.
Scotty: The *Excelsior*? Why in God's name would you want that bucket of bolts?
Kirk: A ship is a ship.
Scotty: Whatever you say so.
[pause]
Scotty: Thy will be done.
[the new starship USS *Enterprise* 1701-A emerges into view]
Kirk: My friends.
[pause]
Kirk: We've come home.

Star Trek 6

Commander Pavel Chekov: So, this is goodbye. Kirk: I think it's about time we got underway ourselves. [sits on captain's chair] Commander Nyota Uhura: Captain, I have orders from Starfleet Command. We're to put back to Spacedock immediately... to be decommissioned. [long pause as Kirk contemplates the order] Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be "go to Hell." [Kirk looks at Spock; to Kirk] If I were human. Chekov: Course heading, Captain? Kirk: Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #142
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Star Trek 2

McCoy: He's not really dead. As long as we remember him.
Kirk: It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. A far better resting place that I go to than I have ever known.
Carol Marcus: Is that a poem?
Kirk: No. Something Spock was trying to tell me. On my birthday.
McCoy: You okay, Jim? How do you feel?
Kirk: Young. I feel young.
Wrath of Khan is literally a perfect movie, I don't care what anyone says.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #143
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wrath of Khan is literally a perfect movie, I don't care what anyone says.

It set up such a strong trilogy of films in terms of Search for Spock and Voyage Home.

Where the whole string throughout was sacrifice.

I still remember the scene where the Klingons killed David and Kirk physically stumbled backwards and fell while mumbling "You Klingon #######s you've killed my son"

And how perfectly that came around as motivation for the final movie.

I loved the original Star Trek Films with the exception of 5 which was horrible. I even enjoyed a lot of TMP.

But 2-3-4 were the pinnacle of Star Trek where you actually saw the vision of the whole fictional universe realized, they came really close again in 6, but for the most part Star Trek ended there for me, the TNG movies were just outright terrible, though First Contact had its moments.

And after a brief bit of hope with the JJ reboots, they killed it with the second one.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #144
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've always said that it would be nice to set the federation stories aside for a while. I would love to see a mirror universe series that shows the rise and corruption and fall of the United Empire of Planets. I think a whole series from a villains point of view that takes place shortly after the mirror mirror incident where Spock starts breaking down the Empire would be a great story.

I would also love to see the seedier side of the Galaxy, we know it exists because we see lots of examples of where the idealized idea of the moneyless federation doesn't exist or just plain doesn't work. Where the people are scrapping by to survive by smuggling or doing bad things to upset the order of the galaxy and don't want to be cogs in the federation machine, I'd like to call it Star Trek Deep Space Occupy.
Isn't that DS9 though? They did a lot of balancing in that series when it came to seeing the war from the other side. You also got the seedier side of the universe there with the Ferengi playing a big part in the series as well.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #145
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It set up such a strong trilogy of films in terms of Search for Spock and Voyage Home.

Where the whole string throughout was sacrifice.

I still remember the scene where the Klingons killed David and Kirk physically stumbled backwards and fell while mumbling "You Klingon #######s you've killed my son"

And how perfectly that came around as motivation for the final movie.

I loved the original Star Trek Films with the exception of 5 which was horrible. I even enjoyed a lot of TMP.

But 2-3-4 were the pinnacle of Star Trek where you actually saw the vision of the whole fictional universe realized, they came really close again in 6, but for the most part Star Trek ended there for me, the TNG movies were just outright terrible, though First Contact had its moments.

And after a brief bit of hope with the JJ reboots, they killed it with the second one.
I pretty much love them all except for Nemesis. Nemesis is the only one that is so bad and nonsensical it's basically unwatchable.

Even some of the other 'bad' ones people hate on like Final Frontier, Generations, and Insurrection, I find they have some interesting story elements, good performances, and contribute well to the lore. Nemesis is just complete trash though.

The JJ ones are both fine if you think of them as almost a separate series. Even Into Darkness is a decent, entertaining film. It's weakest scenes are when it's being a Wrath of Khan clone in the middle. It actually starts and finishes fairly well -- I love that final chase/fight Spock has with Khan.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #146
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I guess, and frankly out of the Star Trek series I rank DS9 as my second favorite.

TOS - There was so much heart in the first season, and the episodes were amazing. Season 2 they really hit stride and there weren't a lot of bad episodes. Season 3 had bad episodes and budget cuts with some flashes of brilliance

DS9 - I really enjoyed the fact that this was a flawed federation and a desperate federation that learned that it couldn't hold the piece with fairy dust and utopian visions. It really started moving in season 2, and I thought the performances were terrific. The War was well done and the resurgence of the Klingons from side kick allies to a actual physical threat was excellent

TNG - Don't get me wrong I didn't hate this series, but I don't think on reflection that I loved this series. It was really too much of Roddenberry's vision and a lot of times it just bored me, and it reminded me of getting lectured by a professor who felt that he had moral superiority that was a bit self perceived. They did introduce some great enemies, the Borg stands out the most. But to me they also #######ized the Klingons by trying to over explain them. In the end the show became the Data and Picard show. It also introduced the concept of techno duex ex where they could solve any problem with techno blather and redesigning the shop on the fly. All I want to see is this

Data - "Captain perhaps if we can steam an inverse tachyon particle stream through the main deflector array we'll destroy all of those hostile craft by pushing them backwards through space time"

Picard - "That's an excellent idea make it . . . "

Ensign Ricky - "What the hell are you people talking about, the main deflector array isn't designed to do that, and you know what, we would have to build a tachyon generator and then design a system to fire them through the deflector array, which would probably blow the fricken thing up. Plus to do that we'd have to drop our shields which means a BB flying at 200,000 mph would rip through this ship like a super charged bullet.

Beyond that don't you have to get permission from Star Fleet to change a major design spec of our ship, and to do it we'd have to put into space port for a three week refit.

In fact, I want to know who reversed the reverse flow regulator in all of the cans on this ship, was this some master plan to defeat the gorn by flooding the lito deck with poop?"

Pickard - "um"

Ok next up

Voyage - "Frankly I'd put this below Star Trek the animate series. But they took a decent premise which is two distinct crews trying to make the impossible journey and actually made it boring. Then added a boring captains and a colorless cast and then techno babbled it through the roof. Now they were messing with the deflector array the warp nacelles, the phaser arrays and the holographic emmitters. This series could have been done really well if they had kept the conflict between the crews alive for more then lets say an hour. They did have some solid episodes, but they also did things like making the Borg Suck. About the only positive episodes that I can remember was the Year in Hell where they were fighting Red Foreman and he put a tahyon emitting boot up their a$$es.

Enterprise - "So boring, it could have been great, but didn't find its own identity until the very end when they did the Mirror Universe episodes. But other then that it didn't feel like Star Trek, but at least they had space Nazi's and they couldn't techno babble anything because they were throwing rocks at the Klingons. The last episode that had a extremely fat Ricker mixing with the crew was cringeworthy at best and a worse ending episode then the one where the cast of Seinfeld went to jail.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I pretty much love them all except for Nemesis. Nemesis is the only one that is so bad and nonsensical it's basically unwatchable.

Even some of the other 'bad' ones people hate on like Final Frontier, Generations, and Insurrection, I find they have some interesting story elements, good performances, and contribute well to the lore. Nemesis is just complete trash though.

The JJ ones are both fine if you think of them as almost a separate series. Even Into Darkness is a decent, entertaining film. It's weakest scenes are when it's being a Wrath of Khan clone in the middle. It actually starts and finishes fairly well -- I love that final chase/fight Spock has with Khan.

Nemisis was bad, but I have to say Insurrection was worse. Especially when we found out that you can fly and fight a massive star ship with the emergency Atari Joystick.

Everything about Insurrection was terrible as was Nemesis.

First Contact was cheesy at best, it didn't feel like Trek. First contact was ok, but wasn't great, it was the real beginning of the hard core Pickard and Data show, they should have changed the theme to

"Its the data and pickard show, hey its Jean Luc
They go on wacky adventures and sing songs and quip
Jean Luc has a dune buggy and Data a cat
But they'll save the day while the rest of the crew does stuff
Feed my cat
Say some Shakespear
Its the Data and Pickard show yeah"

Old 05-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #148
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just released a few minutes ago.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #149
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They really tried to change the tone in this trailer, I wasn't a big fan of the last movie, as much as they tried they really failed to capture Kahn and the rest of the movie was pretty silly.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it looks pretty good, especially I see that Simon Pegg gets some writing credit so thats positive.

Honestly, these havent been great movies, but I've found them entertaining for the most part.

Into Darkness was likely better than half the other Star Trek movies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #151
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else watch the ship at warp and think "that's not how warp bubbles look!"

So tough to tell from a trailer if it will be any good. Hopefully not all action and explosions.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #152
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian (and worldwide) broadcasting announced -- for Canadians, show will have it's premiere episode on CTV, will all subsequent episodes appearing on Space.

http://www.startrek.com/article/inte...ar-trek-series

Quote:
The Bell Media rollout for the new Star Trek series in Canada will mirror the launch in the United States. The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most-watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service.
Very likely we see some concrete info about the new series this weekend at Comic-Con.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #153
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Canadian (and worldwide) broadcasting announced -- for Canadians, show will have it's premiere episode on CTV, will all subsequent episodes appearing on Space.

http://www.startrek.com/article/inte...ar-trek-series

Very likely we see some concrete info about the new series this weekend at Comic-Con.
Cool, hopefully CTV/Space will put it on their websites too.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #154
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hope its good, I was over joyed to see DS9 on Netflix so I started watching it again, I'm halfway through season one. While the episodes aren't as polished and well acted as the later years, you can see some great character development.

I have to admit I'm surprised because it almost felt like Quark was the main staring character. Sisko still hasn't hit the stride of the later goatee'd warrior that he became.

Kira yells a lot too, she has none of the conflicted softness of the later episodes. Odo was solid, the doctor was over acting and Dax is just hot.

But I really like this series, and I hope that the new one measures up.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #155
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know Worf and O'Brien are going to be in this, you just know it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Work was better in DS9 then he was in TNG where in the end he was a piece of furniture, but he was still bad. O'Brien is O'Brien. I loved the episode with Q where he didn't recognize O'Brien and then said "Oh yes, you're one of the little people" then ignored him for the rest of the episode.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #157
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #158
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well as the only enlisted man in the Federation Navy he holds a position of vast importance as the only guy that everyone in Star Fleet can treat as garbage.

there was one episode where he's doing some repairs and the Captain points out that something else needs to be done and O'brian turns around to an ensign and asks him to go do the work.

In real life, that Ensign outranks him as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #159
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Well as the only enlisted man in the Federation Navy he holds a position of vast importance as the only guy that everyone in Star Fleet can treat as garbage.

there was one episode where he's doing some repairs and the Captain points out that something else needs to be done and O'brian turns around to an ensign and asks him to go do the work.

In real life, that Ensign outranks him as well.
I think on the station he held rank as the chief of operations, didn't he? Once on the Defiant, all bets were off though.

Also rewatching DS9. Easily the best Star Trek, even if just because of "In the Pale Moonlight". I also think Worf gets #### on for how cheesy he was at the end of TNG. I really like the interactions with him early on in DS9. His arrogance getting skewered by Odo, his intractions with Gowron and Martok.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 07-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #160
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the episode where O'Brien spends twenty years in a mind prison in a matter of hours and has to deal with the PTSD from it. 'Hard Time'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: