Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2023, 12:30 PM   #141
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’m happiest when I’m feeling fit, strong and able bodied. I’m at my most miserable self when I’m not able to physically do the things I’m used to, like rehabbing after a surgery, or dealing with a nagging injury. I also love having something to aspire to, fitness and strength goals are the ones that are often most attainable with the clearest roadmap. I see nothing toxic about wanting to be strong and fit.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:32 PM   #142
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I don't read it that way, all things being equal a fit man will be happier than a fat man is all it is saying.
Switch out fit for spiritual and I don't think it rings true. Physical activity increase your mental strength as well, mental strength does nothing for my physical well being.

Also physical activity improves cognitive thinking, relieves stress, improves your mood, helps with sleep, and improves your energy levels.
All of the above make me happier!
More than that it makes my partner happy and it makes the people I am able to help happy which in turn makes me happy.

Don't get me wrong I live with chronic physical pain. I have not taken a pain free step in two years. Still, I am happier being in pain and being as physically active as possible than I ever was sitting around because I hurting.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:34 PM   #143
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
That's exercise in general, not specific to lifting.
Runners high? Cyclists get it too.
Exercise in general makes you feel better, all the things you say about lifting could easily be applied to the vast majority of physical exercises.
This is 100% true but another aspect people should keep in mind is the bodies difficulty to create muscle as we age.
It's well reported that some strength training is optimal as you age for longevity & lowering health risks.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitne...study%20found.

No one needs to be a power lifter, but there's definitely benefits to everyone having some lifting (or other strength training) in their life.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 12:40 PM   #144
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
This is 100% true but another aspect people should keep in mind is the bodies difficulty to create muscle as we age.
It's well reported that some strength training is optimal as you age for longevity & lowering health risks.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitne...study%20found.

No one needs to be a power lifter, but there's definitely benefits to everyone having some lifting (or other strength training) in their life.
Agreed, I'm not into lifting but certainly see the benefits if that's your thing. In general, if you're not getting yourself off the couch and doing 60 mins of exercise 3-4 times a week you're doing yourself a disservice.
Out of shape people do not age well, you want to be able to run your own errands later in life you might want to invest in your future now.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:34 AM   #145
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

People debate the strangest things. It's pretty clear that muscle and strength both extend your life and give you a better quality of life as well. I don't even see how that is controversial.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 08:37 AM   #146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't arguing that, just the toxic nature of the quotes. People also have really poor reading comprehension, and prefer to make their own argument as they go and pretend it is what the OP said.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #147
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Update on my fitness journey, hit 199 this morning! First time I've seen the other side of 200 in close to a decade.

I've also had to up my cardio / treadmill workouts to include jogging instead of just power walking, the power walking was getting a bit too easy and not getting my heart rate up enough. Best shape I've been in probably ever, even when I was young and skinny I wasn't in good shape, you know? Just good metabolism and working on my feet a lot.

Interested to see how far I can get by the summer now, since I already hit my goal. Set my next goal as 192, which would be down 50 lbs from the start. Not in a big rush though, just happy to have accomplished this.

My reward was ordering a new set of silicone wedding rings, all the ones I have are falling off now lol.
Saw this thread bumped, I’ve continued my exercise journey further in 2023 and have hit 182lbs, 60lbs lost in six months. Working on my running time, and I just bought a spin bike for the basement too to give me a little variety when I can’t bike outside.

Though I’ve been on holiday on the Okanagan for the last few days so I’m sure I’m coming back up a few pounds with some work to do, lol
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 09:05 AM   #148
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wasn't arguing that, just the toxic nature of the quotes. People also have really poor reading comprehension, and prefer to make their own argument as they go and pretend it is what the OP said.
Oh settle down with the "poor reading comprehension" blast.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 09:06 AM   #149
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't arguing that, just the toxic nature of the quotes.
Yeah I get what you're saying. On the one hand, certainly motivating quotes that are clearly helping people at the gym, so that's great. But yeah, a couple of those kinda read like it was originally said by someone who openly refers to themself as an "alpha".

Also this convo has motivated me to take my slightly hung over from Stampede butt to the gym today.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:12 AM   #150
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Oh settle down with the "poor reading comprehension" blast.
Is there another reason people argue against points that weren't made?
Old 07-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #151
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't arguing that, just the toxic nature of the quotes.
This isn't Tumblr.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #152
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
People debate the strangest things. It's pretty clear that muscle and strength both extend your life and give you a better quality of life as well. I don't even see how that is controversial.
Lifting also increases and maintains bone density. Loss of bone density is one of the greatest contributors to loss of physical ability as we age.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #153
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
The assumption you must have physical strength to be happy, and that it is offensive to those who choose to pursue happyness elsewhere. First off, I'd love to see the data on that one. Second, even suggesting it is a toxic form of elevating yourself above others becuase you lift, bro.

The rest of the statements lead to similarly toxic thinking. Great you find physical activity rewarding. Leave the toxic #### at the door.
He didn't say that. He said all things being equal, you'll be happier if you have everything you have, plus you are strong:

Quote:
"A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong."
That's probably true. How many people are going to say they'd like to be less strong? It's likely true of most positive aspects.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #154
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He didn't say that. He said all things being equal, you'll be happier if you have everything you have, plus you are strong:

That's probably true. How many people are going to say they'd like to be less strong? It's likely true of most positive aspects.
OK, so that's just obvious stuff. I'd be happier if I had a lot of things, like no pain. But I really explained my position in this post, so I'm not sure why we are circling back...

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=130

But again...
Quote:
A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong. This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence.
That's stupid toxic nonsense. Note the word precedence is doing the heavy lifting here. Why does physical strength take precedence over intelligent or spiritual happiness? Presumably by these standards most women will never be as happy as a man. It's just unhelpful toxic claptrap that young men latch on to as false superiority to lord over others. And to those with physical disabilities? "Sorry dude, you can never be truly happy!"
Old 07-11-2023, 04:22 PM   #155
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's stupid toxic nonsense. Note the word precedence is doing the heavy lifting here. Why does physical strength take precedence over intelligent or spiritual happiness? Presumably by these standards most women will never be as happy as a man. It's just unhelpful toxic claptrap that young men latch on to as false superiority to lord over others. And to those with physical disabilities? "Sorry dude, you can never be truly happy!"
You cannot seriously be this--... ugh, this makes my brain hurt. Strength is relative to the individual, not to those around you. The fact I'll never be as strong as Dwayne Johnson means nothing in regards to how happy I can be if I am a stronger version of myself.

Seriously, Fuzz, can you just not for a change? Even the most light-hearted topics somehow bring out your inner Buzz Killington. Just let it be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 04:53 PM   #156
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I don’t do some formS of exercise my body brain and attitude all go downhill. Past injuries get more sensitive. Some forms of exercise (even mild yoga) bring mental relief much like meditation and calms the nerves mind and anxiety. We each have different tolerances to life and stress, much like different interests in forms of stress relief. You do you. But a sparkly new high end bike brings the best happiness of all. Mind you getting lucky does too, for those few moments….
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:07 PM   #157
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've struggled with staying fit since having kids, but over time have been adding habits and each day I aim to accomplish 10 things, each of which is quite simple to do.

My 10 Goals are:
1. Wake up early
2. Get outside for a walk immediately
3. Fast until 10am
4. Do a midday workout (Weight, Peloton, Run, Yoga)
5. Eat whole foods: olive oil, veggies, fruit, eggs, dairy, salmon, nuts, fruit.
6. Meditate
7. Cut out alcohol (usually 1 or 2 nights a week will have some wine)
8. Don't eat after dinner
9 Tech off by 8pm
10. Aim to be asleep by 9pm

Some days I get all 10, other days I get only 5, but normally it's around 8-9 (meditation is the one I miss most often, even though I love it).

I find this works for me, and have lost about 10 lbs in 6 months. I'm going for a long slow lifestyle change rather than something dramatic, as I want something I can continue to do.

The killer in the above is holidays, when I get 1 or 2 of the 10 goals done each day.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #158
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You cannot seriously be this--... ugh, this makes my brain hurt. Strength is relative to the individual, not to those around you. The fact I'll never be as strong as Dwayne Johnson means nothing in regards to how happy I can be if I am a stronger version of myself.

Seriously, Fuzz, can you just not for a change? Even the most light-hearted topics somehow bring out your inner Buzz Killington. Just let it be.
I don't know, those quotes are pretty cringey. They sound like a gym bro version of those terrible motivational quote signs.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 05:49 PM   #159
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't matter. Let it be.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #160
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only on CP could something that distills down to be better be labeled as "toxic" LOL
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: