Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #141
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Seeing all the names that went between our picks 34 and 54 made me cry a little inside. The lost opportunity..
Lost opportunity? Of what? Nobody has proven anything yet.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #142
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanda View Post
what a waste of a pick. Our goaltending is fine, and there were some real studs on the board.. couldnt be more disapointed

Really?

I would suggest its the biggest single weakness in the entire orginization.

The jury is still out on Ramo as an everyday guy. Gillies looks like he could be a good one for sure, and Ortio just recently has started to look like he can handle the pro game...but beyond theat, there is nothing.

I like that they got this kid, even if it seems a little high to us observers, which was immediately tempered by the run on G's immediately after.

Put some trust in the scouts folks...they really havent shown a propensity of late to do anything other than pick who they had ranked highest and stick to that plan. Obviously McDonald showed them a whole lot this year to have the Flames take him over some of the other "sexier" picks.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #143
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Fucale must of been a waste of a pick by the Canadiens at 36 last year..right?
Were Joel Gistedt, Antoine Lafleur, Trevor Cann and Jeremy Smith great picks in the 2007 second round? 7 Years later none of these guys played a single game in the NHL. And those were the top 4 goalies drafted that year.

Again, goalies are unpredictable, take forever to develop, and are easy to trade for. You're never going to convince those of us who don't like drafting goalies early that it's a good idea. For every goalie you bring up that worked out, I can find 5 that didn't that were drafted in the same part of the draft.

And I hope this guy turns into a great goalie for the Flames, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on it happening.

mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #144
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lost opportunity to draft a potential top 4 d-man for the future, which I think they needed to do here.

Not a top 4 d-man, a potential one. With Orts/Gillies/Ramo, a potential higher end D was a bigger need than another goalie.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #145
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Really?
I would suggest its the biggest single weakness in the entire orginization.
Considering that you only ever really need 1 good one at a time, and we have 2 solid prospects, I don't think it's our biggest weakness. We're not deep at it, but I think the hole on D is much bigger. I would've liked to see that one being plugged up in the 2nd round.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #146
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The fact that give goalies were taken in the second tells you about the class of skaters available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Or it could tell you that the goaltenders were bunched together on everyone's list and when the first one went it caused a panic in the room. No one wants to be left without a chair when the music stops.
Yeah, it's hard to say that he would not have been available at #54 because we were the ones who triggered the run.

===============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
We always just have terrible luck with drafting goalies. I know those past experiences shouldn't prevent a team from drafting them in the future, but as a fan it is easy to dread picking a goalie this high.

Although, Ortio and Gillies are coming along fine at this point, so maybe we've turned the corner with goalies...
If our goalie scouting is good, we don't need McDonald. If our goalie scouting isn't good, he's a bust.

The only way we win with McDonald is if we lose with Ortio and/or Gillies. It's a hedge. Hedging tends to push you away from extremes and towards mediocrity. I want greatness. I'll willing to risk failure to go for it.

If you believe in your ability to find goalies, trust the guys you have and use this pick to fill a need. If you don't, then pick a position you're good at picking and trade for a goalie later. We just shipped out Brossoit because we had too many goalies! Now we don't have enough?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #147
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My goodness you'd think after 15 years of failing to draft and develop an NHL goalie people would have a bit of humility on the state of our goalie stock.

I have no problem with this pick. Gillies Ortio are anything but sure things for goalies you need bullets in the chambre.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #148
BlueCharlton
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Were Joel Gistedt, Antoine Lafleur, Trevor Cann and Jeremy Smith great picks in the 2007 second round? 7 Years later none of these guys played a single game in the NHL. And those were the top 4 goalies drafted that year.

Again, goalies are unpredictable, take forever to develop, and are easy to trade for. You're never going to convince those of us who don't like drafting goalies early that it's a good idea. For every goalie you bring up that worked out, I can find 5 that didn't that were drafted in the same part of the draft.

And I hope this guy turns into a great goalie for the Flames, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on it happening.
To be fair, you could probably say that about every player in the second round. I like the pick. Every here likes to overrate our goaltending. I like the idea of building from the net out, and taking this guy improves our goaltending depth.Im guessing he will probably become our best goaltending prospect.
BlueCharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #149
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

A lot of posters sound like Pierre McGuire when the Canadiens drafted Carey Price,

acknowledged Price was a good goalie prospect, but with Jose Theodore, Christobal Huet, Mathieu Garon, and Yann Dannis they didn't need Price and should have addressed their needs on D or C.

1:50 mark pierre starts his rant
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #150
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan23 View Post
I'm pretty upset, goalies shouldn't go in the first 2 rounds. Especially when we have Gillies and Ortio. And we passed on Dougherty, Cornel, McKeown, MacInnis
Yeah Price and Rask were terrible picks eh?

Taking goalies is fine as long as you take the right one. Second round is a good gamble. I'm not a huge fan of taking then in the first but if you get a Price or Rask you're laughing.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #151
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not big on drafting goalies early, but he was my fav available netminder.

From Red Line Report: (39th ranked)

Mason MacDonald — Charlottetown G

"Netminder has outstanding physical tools with great length and for a big, gangly kid. Comes out aggressively and uses size to cut down angles - doesn’t give shooters much to look at. Moves well laterally on wrap-around attempts, getting good push off either blade. Sharp glove. Handles puck around the net like a pro, stopping hard shoot-arounds and making quick outlets. Communicates well with his d-men. Hardly - was quieter in net and did a better job squaring up to shooters and playing angles. Still tries to do too much at times, particularly with his puckhandling. Tends to lose concentration when he’s not seeing many shots and still goes down a bit early, but these are correctable issues.

Projection: Solid #1 goalie with patient development.
Style compares to: Mike Smith"
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #152
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacDonald is a good fundamentally sound goalie. If he turns into Cam Ward (his style of play is similar) then that's good.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #153
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could also be acquiring a defensive prospect as well. The summer is still early.

Hopefully McDonald turns into a gamer for us.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #154
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Goalies shouldn't be allowed to enter the draft. Waste of picks.
Carey Price says hi....best goalie in the draft in the 2nd round? seems like a solid pick

besides everyone is so worried about a D-man? none of these guys are gonna be playing next season anyway
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #155
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
He was actually pretty good on the Prospect Game. Big goalie but I am kind of dissapointed we didn't get the pest Lemeiux. So, we have Ramo, Ortio, Gilles and not sure if Olivier Roy will stay as our goalie pool. I guess they are stockpiling goalies then. Did I miss anyone?
Living just outside Charlottetown, I've seen him play several times. He's the real deal and also seems like a great kid. I think we'll be very happy in a few years that we made this pick. The Islanders sucked this year and he kept them in games that should have been blow outs. It'll be fun to watch him (and RW Daniel Sprong, projected to go high in the first round in 2015) develop next season.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #156
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was really hoping we would take some of those available dmen.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #157
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

How does McDonald stand up to previous top goalie selections like Zach Fucale?
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #158
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Carey Price says hi....best goalie in the draft in the 2nd round? seems like a solid pick

besides everyone is so worried about a D-man? none of these guys are gonna be playing next season anyway
I really didn't think I needed green text but yeah.. green text.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #159
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
How does McDonald stand up to previous top goalie selections like Zach Fucale?
McDonald is about an inch taller.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #160
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
My goodness you'd think after 15 years of failing to draft and develop an NHL goalie people would have a bit of humility on the state of our goalie stock.

I have no problem with this pick. Gillies Ortio are anything but sure things for goalies you need bullets in the chambre.
If you're going with the last 15 years as a guide, then us picking goalies is absolutely futile.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote