Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #141
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I get the Sith philosophy that the underlying path to power is the concentration on self. you have to accumulate power in order to change things and you have to believe that you are the only one capable of ruling.
AKA the Trump philosophy.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #142
Knut

Exp:

Another thing i just thought of.

This movie did a good job of adding a realistic human element to both sides.

The Rebellion had Cassian recruited at a young age to work as a spy basically. He also killed that informant when the stormtroopers were coming close. They lied to Jyn about wanting to kill her dad as well.

The scene of the two Star Destroyers crashing into each other had scenes of people panicking and getting killed. Krennic also was sort of a tragic figure who you actually were somewhat sympathetic to.

Not as much black and white / Good vs Evil in this one.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #143
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really liked the single reactor death star shots with the completely unscientific slow tsunami of rock. just a lot more engaging than the planet kills in the previous movies, where it's just an orb in space getting vaporized in a couple of seconds. though they could have taken the "ground level" human/alien impact even higher by showing the poor citizens of Jedha looking up at this crazy metal death ball charging up its green needle.

now that I think of it, that's kind of a common weakness of the Death Star's use across the series. Alderaan gets turned to dust and all it results in is Obi Wan getting a slight tummy ache. Starkiller base obliterates an entire system of planets, murdering tens of billions of sentient beings...that should be a pretty big deal with more emotional weight than Han looking up at the sky slightly confused. one would assume a lot of the characters would be losing many friends/family/acquaintances in these disasters, but they move on pretty quick from an emotional perspective.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #144
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I found this map of the Galaxy with the new planets on it (apparently, it's from a special Entertainment Weekly edition that came out recently)...

Spoiler!

Based on this, Scarif is very close to Tatooine. Leia's ship may have already come out of hyperspace near Tatooine by the time Vader got back aboard his Star Destroyer. In that case, they wouldn't have needed to try to track its trajectory or anything, just jump right there and stop the ship before it gets to the planet's surface.
hang on, the red line is the Death Star's path from construction to destruction? what about the initial test on Jedha? that would have been a massive round trip if the assembly was being done near Geonosis, then flew to the other side of the galaxy to blow up Jedha, then flew back to almost its starting point to destroy the imperial base.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #145
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Another thing i just thought of.

This movie did a good job of adding a realistic human element to both sides.

The Rebellion had Cassian recruited at a young age to work as a spy basically. He also killed that informant when the stormtroopers were coming close. They lied to Jyn about wanting to kill her dad as well.

The scene of the two Star Destroyers crashing into each other had scenes of people panicking and getting killed. Krennic also was sort of a tragic figure who you actually were somewhat sympathetic to.

Not as much black and white / Good vs Evil in this one.
the argument is that not all of the empire's people are evil world destroying psycho's. the Death Star had this massive million person crew that were turned into Atom's thanks to Skywalker's "lucky shot". I'm assuming that not everyone cheered when Alderaan was dusted.

You could argue that the Imperials were exactly like the Nazi's and that there were only a few die hard Palpatine believers at the top and they used the rule of fear to control everyone else.

the Russian's did it with the KGB. The Nazi's had a nazi elite who were outright religious zealots of Hitlers vision for the world. But at the same time in the Empire for every Grand Moff Tarkin or Darth Vader who were completely evil you probably had General's and Admirals and soldiers who were just that General's Admiral's and soldiers.

You would imagine as well that they were sold on a vision. In ROTS the Stormtroopers according to Obi-Wan were sold on a lie, they all were.

It wouldn't take much indoctrination to teach a soldier that what they were doing was the greater good to bring order to a galaxy that tended to slide into chaos and their actions though distasteful at times were for the greater good.

If you look at it from a certain point of view, the Rebels to get at Vader and Palpatine probably killed millions of people that were just working for a living and weren't political or all that loyal to anyone. Or had no idea what they were involved in because their piece of the action was relatively small and they couldn't see the big picture.

The Empire probably killed several billion when they dusted Alderaan in a galaxy of countless trillions upon trillions of beings. Its the whole you have to break some eggs to make an omelet. The Rebellion probably killed millions upon millions to depose the Empire. How can we say that they were any less callous or merciless or even goal oriented in their desire to seize power.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #146
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Or had no idea what they were involved in because their piece of the action was relatively small and they couldn't see the big picture.
You mean like these guys:
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #147
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lmao dental plan and sick leave.

I wonder if the Empire has a competitive employer match RRSP plan? Haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #148
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Lmao dental plan and sick leave.

I wonder if the Empire has a competitive employer match RRSP plan? Haha.
Well now I have to post this...

I'm surprised they have any benefits at all considering there were a lot of independent contractors.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #149
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Meh it was all an inside job anyways you bunch of sheeple

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #150
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Natalie was just the wrong choice for the role, she was very good and very regal in the Phantom Menace but in AOTC outside of a couple of scenes she was so detached, and in ROTS she wasn't capable of delivering the emotion of a woman that knew her life and her love were sliding away from her.
To be fair her lines are some of the worst on the series, and that's saying something in a trilogy that's just full of painfully bad dialogue. Plus there's the problem that the way Anakin and Padme are written, there's just no reason why Padme would ever be that attracted to someone like Anakin. The movie doesn't even attempt to make sense of it, it just says that this happens and we're supposed to buy it. It's literally one of the least credible film romances ever. I mean yeah, Padme is said to be lonely at times (which seems weird as you'd think she'd have a plethore of men after her), but there's bound to be some cute guard around that's less immature and whiny and less of a violent loose cannon.

And closer to her age. (When Anakin and Padme meet again in Episode II IIRC she's 24 and he's 19. That's a pretty significant age gap at that age, even without the fact that she's mature beyound her years and he's... not.)

Last edited by Itse; 12-19-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #151
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well Rogue One kinda proves it was an inside job. Mads Mikkelson built the weakness on purpose.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #152
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:

This was great
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #153
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The death star is just such a woefully inefficient weapon. I think it was all just an elaborate make-work project.

You've got powerful hyperspace drives capable of moving these massive objects around. If you want to strike fear into the galaxy, it's simple: Crash star destroyer into planet at top speed. End planet. Repeat as necessary.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #154
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Just saw it was infinitely better than TFA even the name was better it's cool how they used old footage from the original trilogy during the dog fights.also glad they didn't dip into the back story of characters just for the fact you know it's a suicide mission and nobody is coming back from it.jin and her character was much better than rey at least she was battle hardened and ready for the fight ahead versus Rey's flip flops throught the whole TFA.

I don't think I can trust trailers anymore cause it made it seem like an all together different movie.

Last edited by Violator; 12-20-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #155
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The death star is just such a woefully inefficient weapon. I think it was all just an elaborate make-work project.

You've got powerful hyperspace drives capable of moving these massive objects around. If you want to strike fear into the galaxy, it's simple: Crash star destroyer into planet at top speed. End planet. Repeat as necessary.

Its a fear weapon it was never made to be an effective weapon. Remember that Tarkin believed in the use of the fear of force rather then force itself. If you have a planet crushing Super laser that you can whip out the moment that trouble starts it should subdue rebellion. It was never really designed to chase down a rebel base and kill it, it was really designed to punish planets and systems that aided or supported the Rebellion.

You would think that with a fleet of highly mobile powerful ships loaded with turbo lasers and bombers and fighters, one of which could probably overwhelm a planets defenses that they could have been more surgical. bombard the capital and turn it into glass, then you get to still keep the planets resources and labor.

Now I'm sure that Alderaan was a singularly useless planet who's main export was missions of mercy, they were basically like the goody two shoes neighbor that was always clearing your side walk in winter. But blasting it into eternity was hardly a massive economic loss. But I would think that the empire would hesitate in blasting a planet that was useful if it went to the Rebellion. You look at Rebels, Lothal was a factory world and they just decided to occupy it and lock it down under their version of Marshall law.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #156
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Edwards never planned to kill off the cast, or at least never thought he would be able to.. until Disney gave him the nod:

Quote:
"I think there was an early version [of the screenplay] – the very first version they didn't [die] in. And it was just assumed by us that we couldn't [kill the cast] and they're not gonna let us do that.

"So we're trying to figure out how this ends where that doesn't happen. And then everyone read that [original screenplay], and there was just this feeling of like, 'They gotta die, right?' And everyone was like, 'Yeah, can we?'

"And we thought we weren't gonna be allowed to, but Kathy [Kennedy] and everyone at Disney were like, 'Yeah, makes sense.'"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...nding-reshoot/

He also apparently stole the Death Star plans :

Quote:
Edwards dropped a huge surprise on the cast.

When asked what the cast took after filming, he had a big answer.

Apparently, there was one item he kept asking about during filming, but the studio said it was going to archive this item, in particular. He didn't listen.

"I stole the Death Star plans," he said.

"Now you are going to have to give it back!" the cast yelled after the revelation.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=43934652
Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's actually awesome.

And there was no way that this movie wouldn't have gone over like a wet fart if the rebels hadn't sacrificed themselves to get the plans.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #158
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get why people think Disney won't let you kill people off.

Pretty much the first 5 minutes of every Disney movie ever is killing of some type of character to make you sad.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #159
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya, beginning, then the rest of the movie is spent building you back up for a dramatic but very happy ending. This was about having a dark, dark ending. That is not typical Disney so I can understand the doubt.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #160
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Don't worry, the CGI Tarkin and Leia will be fixed in the special editions released in 20 years from now.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: