Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #1541
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So you'd rather be warm for 4-6 games in October-November instead of basking in sun for 10-14 in July-September. Pass. Buy a jacket and a butt pad.

Or just don't go and watch from your couch in October-November having enjoyed the sunlight in July-September.
I didn't realize it's always sunny during stamps games in the summer?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #1542
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So you'd rather be warm for 4-6 games in October-November instead of basking in sun for 10-14 in July-September. Pass. Buy a jacket and a butt pad.

Or just don't go and watch from your couch in October-November having enjoyed the sunlight in July-September.
I don't go to that many games anyway. I don't enjoy watching sports out in the cold. I might go to 1 game a year but would probably do more if we had a nicer stadium.
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #1543
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I don't go to that many games anyway. I don't enjoy watching sports out in the cold. I might go to 1 game a year but would probably do more if we had a nicer stadium.
Yeah, I'd never buy tickets to a weekly outdoor event ahead of time. Screw paying money to be miserable in the rain just to watch CFL. Especially when there's not even a concourse or any indoors to warm up in.

Also stops McMahon from being able to host big festival shows.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #1544
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not to mention that an indoor stadium would probably increase the price exponentially...

keep it outdoors and put in a real turf field or a great field turf one instead.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #1545
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
CFL games in November is ludicrous. The Grey Cup being handed out days away from December always seems backwards. Can't wait to get tickets in late November for the 2018 Grey Cup in Calgary.. or Edmonton. That should be an enjoyable event.
I froze my ass at the Grey Cup game here in 2000 I think? It was -25, the players couldn't even catch the frozen piece of ice. Terrible game. Those aluminum seats were even colder than usual. Never again.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #1546
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I froze my ass at the Grey Cup game here in 2000 I think? It was -25, the players couldn't even catch the frozen piece of ice. Terrible game. Those aluminum seats were even colder than usual. Never again.
Don't think I've been back to a game since.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #1547
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A bit off topic but I think the CFL should back up the season start by a few months. Why not play April-September...Prime weather for cities across Canada. It may attract more fringe NFL talent too who might try to make a name for themselves out of college and into the NFL season. Maybe a Grey Cup Labour Day weekend or have the East/West semi-finals on Labour day weekend.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #1548
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

As to the bolded, my man, you have the worst examples sometimes. So when it's -30, I don't have to wear any winter clothes to actually get to the game? What, do I live in the stadium? Are there gonna be +15's going from the new stadium all the way to McKenzie Towne?
This is spoken by someone (and the people that thanked it) that has never had a kid play fall football in this city or never had season tickets for the Stamps. I'm not talking about winter clothes in November. I'm talking winter clothes to sit outside in fall evenings. It gets very cold in the evenings in September/October the moment the sun starts going down if you are sitting stationary. It's not uncommon in September to see parents covered in sleeping bags on the sidelines while their kids are practicing (you can't drop off your kids to football practice regardless of the weather as they want you there in case he/she gets hurt). It's one thing for me to freeze my ass off for my kids to play football but it's another to do it for a CFL game when I can sit at home and watch it in HD.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #1549
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Has anyone to this thread been to a game in an indoor stadium without a retractable roof? If you have, I'm amazed you didn't think it sucked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #1550
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
A bit off topic but I think the CFL should back up the season start by a few months. Why not play April-September...Prime weather for cities across Canada. It may attract more fringe NFL talent too who might try to make a name for themselves out of college and into the NFL season. Maybe a Grey Cup Labour Day weekend or have the East/West semi-finals on Labour day weekend.
I think that the biggest issue is that the NFL Draft is at the end of April after university has ended for the year. The CFL Draft is a few weeks later and teams need time to evaluate who didn't get drafted in the NFL Draft. The teams then need time from training camp and preseason. The CFL might be able to start a couple weeks earlier, but they are limited because of the end of the school year and the NFL Draft.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #1551
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Has anyone to this thread been to a game in an indoor stadium without a retractable roof? If you have, I'm amazed you didn't think it sucked.
Is unfiltered sunlight more important than what's happening on the field?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #1552
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

That is a great point and yes I have (Superdome, old BC Place, Kingdome) but I'm pretty sure I've heard KK say they wanted a roof similar tot he new stadium in Minneapolis which has gotten rave reviews (from what I've heard at least).
Old 04-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #1553
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I have.

I think McMahon would be fine as an outdoor stadium if it wasn't so bare bones. Currently it looks like the 4th best stadium in eastern Liberia.

If it was enclosed so that it blocked the wind, had a roof over the fans and a heated concourse it'd be fine, even in the fall. The way it is now makes it miserable for anything but ideal weather.

Basically, it needs renos like BMO Field.

Before:

After:

120 Million Reno but it also added a lot of capacity.

Last edited by polak; 04-06-2017 at 03:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #1554
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BMO brings up another point: if (and I know its a BIG if) Flames wanted to apply for an MLS team some time in the future, wouldn't we need some kind of roof? No way you can play soccer here in spring or late fall with our unpredictable weather. Just a thought...
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #1555
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Eloranta View Post
BMO brings up another point: if (and I know its a BIG if) Flames wanted to apply for an MLS team some time in the future, wouldn't we need some kind of roof? No way you can play soccer here in spring or late fall with our unpredictable weather. Just a thought...
MLS starts in March so it's basically a nonstarter in Calgary with an outdoor stadium.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #1556
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is a great point and yes I have (Superdome, old BC Place, Kingdome) but I'm pretty sure I've heard KK say they wanted a roof similar tot he new stadium in Minneapolis which has gotten rave reviews (from what I've heard at least).
That roof was a "nice to have" according to King which to me means it's probably cost prohibitive seeing it's going to be tooth and nail just to get any new stadium done let alone one with bells and whistles.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #1557
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How are you going to 14-20 home games per season?
Whoops! Divide by 2! Divide by 2!
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #1558
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That roof was a "nice to have" according to King which to me means it's probably cost prohibitive seeing it's going to be tooth and nail just to get any new stadium done let alone one with bells and whistles.
Well the only way there'd be a roof is if they did CalgaryNext (to include the field house) but KK seems to be the only person in town who thinks that has a chance of happening.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #1559
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dome's are terrible. Even retractable roofed stadiums just aren't the same.

US Bank Stadium is sick as heck, but it was 1.2 billion. I can imagine that kind of roof is pricey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #1560
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Dome's are terrible. Even retractable roofed stadiums just aren't the same.

US Bank Stadium is sick as heck, but it was 1.2 billion. I can imagine that kind of roof is pricey.
Actually some of the nicest stadiums in the NFL are domes or retractable domes. The stigma that domes suck comes from the old designed domes like the Kingdome, Metrodome, etc that were dark concrete monsters. Lucas Oil Stadium in particular is fantastic as is University of Phoenix Stadium and the new U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.
Closed Thread