Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #1521
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

clubs that wear blue are City/Chelsea/Spurs

that pretty much just knocks out United of the clubs who were rumored to be interested

I think it's a about 95% City and 4% Spurs with 1% Chelsea
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1522
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I shouldn't leave out others, he did say English football, not just the PL

so Birmingham and Pompey are in with a shout definitely
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1523
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Belgian defender was talking after being winning the Dutch Golden Boot presented by De Telegraaf to the Eredivisie Player of the Year.

Arsenal were believed to be heading the chase for the 25-year-old, whilst Manchester United have also been linked.

But now Vertonghen has suggested that he could be on course for a move to White Hart Lane.

"I owe much to Ajax, I have always given my whole heart and soul for them. My appreciation for the club and the fans is great," said Vertonghen, who has encouraged his current employers not to stand in his way.

"It would be terrible if my departure would be a long and distorted situation as Ajax would keep asking for a great price 'till the bone'.

"Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable.

"In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma. I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players.

"Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like.

"Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."
http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ls-Spurs-talks

sounds pretty much done
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #1524
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with the title coming down to the last match of the season, how will the league deal with the issue of having the trophy where it needs to be for the presentation? Hedge your bets and have it in Manchester for City to hoist if the most likely scenario plays out? But what if things don't go according to plan? Helicopter it up to Sunderland for United if City craps the bed and/or United wins by piles of goals?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #1525
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So with the title coming down to the last match of the season, how will the league deal with the issue of having the trophy where it needs to be for the presentation? Hedge your bets and have it in Manchester for City to hoist if the most likely scenario plays out? But what if things don't go according to plan? Helicopter it up to Sunderland for United if City craps the bed and/or United wins by piles of goals?
I'm sure they have more than one trophy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #1526
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm sure they have more than one trophy.
Makes sense. Less exciting and dramatic though.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #1527
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Makes sense. Less exciting and dramatic though.
The PL has a thing for helicopters. I dont know why, they just do. I think they should just tether the trophy to a helicopter and fly it around the country all day and whichever teams win should have to have their Captain catch it as the pilot cuts the tether.

A real 'feats of strength' way to end the season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #1528
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The PL has a thing for helicopters. I dont know why, they just do. I think they should just tether the trophy to a helicopter and fly it around the country all day and whichever teams win should have to have their Captain catch it as the pilot cuts the tether.

A real 'feats of strength' way to end the season.
if there's a copter involved it wouldn't feel right of Keegan wasn't there
Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #1529
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
RVP is going

Wenger said a few weeks ago he thinks he can convince him to stay, convince meaning he is all ready thinking about leaving, and for all the money that Arsenal make it's clear the owners would rather keep that money than spend it

so they won't be happy losing an asset for free, I think it's the same as the Nasri situation last year, RVP treats it with more class though
The RvP situation only bears resemblance to that of Nasri in respect of time remaining in his contract. Nothing else about it is the same.

If RvP goes it will not be solely because of money, it will be linked to how Arsenal perform in the transfer market. To date the activity seems encouraging because steps have and are being taken to strengthen the squad prior to the window even opening.

Even if RvP does go, the transfer activity that is taking place, plus any likely further activity arising from funds raised by selling Van Persie will have us with a stronger team than this season.

Van Persie's contribution is by far the main reason for us being where we are, but to say he has been doing it on his own is misleading. For instance we are 0w 5D 4L without Arteta in the team and Theo has improved significantly from the 2nd half of the Spuds game onwards.

That there is no Arteta, and likely no Theo going into the final game should provide you with some comfort - however, I'm hoping Wenger sees the light and starts Oxo Chambermaid.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #1530
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's scored close about 45% of Arsenal's league goals this year, it would be a catastrophic loss

the only similarity I meant was the 1 year left, which is why he will get sold and why Nasri got sold because the management will not take a 20m+ loss and lose a player for free

Their reasons for leaving may or may not be the same, I think it's foolish to think that RVP doesn't want a raise above what Arsenal will pay him, but both players do want to win titles.

Even if RvP does go, the transfer activity that is taking place, plus any likely further activity arising from funds raised by selling Van Persie will have us with a stronger team than this season.

They have shown no signs of that with the previous sales but if you say so...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1531
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he's scored close about 45% of Arsenal's league goals this year, it would be a catastrophic loss

the only similarity I meant was the 1 year left, which is why he will get sold and why Nasri got sold because the management will not take a 20m+ loss and lose a player for free

Their reasons for leaving may or may not be the same, I think it's foolish to think that RVP doesn't want a raise above what Arsenal will pay him, but both players do want to win titles.

They have shown no signs of that with the previous sales but if you say so...
Given we've signed Podolski and M'vila is pretty much in the bag, I'd say there has been a change in approach. And as for Van Persie's wages, I'd expect those demands to be met and I also expect that those demands will not be Man City style figures.

Also, it is not unusual for a striker to score and/or be involved in a large proportion of a team's goals. We've regularly been slated to drop out of the Top 4 - and yet it never happens. Ideally, we really need to keep Van Persie, but if we don't, for all our failings, we have regularly replaced our star strikers since the days of Ian Wright.

A bit of trivia for you. A $1 in September 1995 over who of Arsenal/ Spurs going double or quits every year would now be worth $65536.00.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #1532
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Losing their top scorer is going to hurt any team. Right now Wenger's transfer market moves are just auditioning for Van Persie to stay.

Chelsea are just throwing this one. This is going to be a grim game. Chelsea's reserves against a very poor Liverpool team in terrible form.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #1533
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has always been someone to take over though, Henry left and RVP took over, there's no one there now. Bendtner and Chamakh are complete busts, and Podolski just played for a team that has been relegated and hasn't been near the player at club level that he is at international

Strikers do score a large amount, however not that much

RVP 30 of 71 is 42%
Rooney 26 of 88 is 30%
Aguero 22 of 90 is 25%
Adebayor 16 of 64 is 25%
Lampard/Sturridge both have 11 of 62 which is 18%
Demba Ba 16 of 55 is 30%

The M'Vila signing is nice and I think he's a really good player who could become a great one, but it makes no sense for a few reasons.

He plays a position where they all ready have an excellent player in Song, and for a club that rarely spends I doubt there is much coming after M'Vila and Podolski, if they were going to spend Midfield was arguably the least necessary opinion to spend on with Song/Wilshere/Ramsey/Arteta all ready there and Frimpong and Coquelin coming through
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #1534
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Losing their top scorer is going to hurt any team. Right now Wenger's transfer market moves are just auditioning for Van Persie to stay.

Chelsea are just throwing this one. This is going to be a grim game. Chelsea's reserves against a very poor Liverpool team in terrible form.

I was in the bookies at lunch time and just decided to stay well away from this one. Unpickable.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1535
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

I was in the bookies at lunch time and just decided to stay well away from this one. Unpickable.
Thats pretty well the case. A 0-0 draw wouldnt surprise me in the least.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #1536
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There has always been someone to take over though, Henry left and RVP took over, there's no one there now. Bendtner and Chamakh are complete busts, and Podolski just played for a team that has been relegated and hasn't been near the player at club level that he is at international

Strikers do score a large amount, however not that much

RVP 30 of 71 is 42%
Rooney 26 of 88 is 30%
Aguero 22 of 90 is 25%
Adebayor 16 of 64 is 25%
Lampard/Sturridge both have 11 of 62 which is 18%
Demba Ba 16 of 55 is 30%

The M'Vila signing is nice and I think he's a really good player who could become a great one, but it makes no sense for a few reasons.

He plays a position where they all ready have an excellent player in Song, and for a club that rarely spends I doubt there is much coming after M'Vila and Podolski, if they were going to spend Midfield was arguably the least necessary opinion to spend on with Song/Wilshere/Ramsey/Arteta all ready there and Frimpong and Coquelin coming through
Frimpong, while I like him is a bust - too much of a headcase. All I'm saying is that this spending has occurred early in the transfer market and prior to any receipts if there are to be receipts this season.

As for percentage of goals, I've heard it before - one man team with Wright, one man team with Henry towards the end now one man team with Van Persie. But other than Wright, these supposed one men teams had their one man well served by the remainder of the team.

I'm not concerned - nor are am I overly hopeful as I think we will always have a team set up to qualify for the CL and nothing more.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #1537
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry is throwing this game
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1538
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think John Terry is trying to turn this into a rout. Hes been awful.

Wow. Another one.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1539
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chelsea have been drinking

this is nuts
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #1540
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry again, forcing a good save out of his keeper.

Closed Thread