Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2023, 11:58 AM   #1521
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From the team's email:

Quote:
Your steadfast support throughout the season has been our driving force, and we are truly grateful.

As our team returns from Toronto on WestJet Flight 665 tonight, we invite you to join us in welcoming them home to Calgary. Your presence would mean a lot to the lads who gave their all on the field.

Thank you for being the heartbeat of our fan community!
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #1522
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think we could have used Escalante on that wing last night. And if not for dynamic creativity, then to completely throw off Forge. Him and Trafford live rent-free in their heads.

Masons departure will surely see a new international come in for a fresh threat.
Was surprised at how quiet and ineffective Akio was yesterday.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 12:32 PM   #1523
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Was surprised at how quiet and ineffective Akio was yesterday.
He had his one moment where he cut in solo to a dangerous shooting position, and unfortunately absolutely muffed it. If he hits that one, we may be talking about how he was the hero in our 1-0 and how picking him up changed the course of the season. His injury was really unfortunate, he never put it fully back together after that.

I'm also curious what game Locke was watching instead of this one haha. Forge came out and pressed HARD to start the game. Cavalry was having a really tough time playing out out of the back and struggled to keep possession as such. We started with absolutely no press and hanging back in transition.

As the game progressed, Cavs began to press more, and we absolutely took over from the end of the first half and on as Forge started to wilt. Basically Tommy did what Locke described Smyminontitisusisopolis doing.

I totally agree our bench can't mach theres. They have Ontario MLS cast-off after MLS cast-off to throw at teams late. We optimized to win that in 90, and were in a world of hurt as soon as Forge scored their first goal. Such a shame. I think the biggest error was not getting Mason and Fisk on to kill the game as soon as Musse scored that goal. That's the recipe that closed off their leads throughout the second half of the year.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #1524
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what, upon thinking about it 18 hours later, I'm proud of the lads. We dominated the game last night, and the results just didn't go our way. Props to Forge, they pulled through when they needed to. That said, our victory is a much more satisfying one - we won a 28-game / 6 month war of attrition and were rewarded for it, with the Shield and a berth into Champions Cup. Forge are the playoff winners. That's all it really is.

All in all, a really fun season and I hope we build upon the crazy success of this one and really take the next step as a club and as a league next year. Champions Cup is going to be crazy fun.

UP THE CAVS!!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #1525
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scenes from the Ship when we were up 1-0. Don't know if it's ever been that crazy at a watch party. Maybe when we knocked out the Whitecaps but that was a smaller crowd.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #1526
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone go to the airport last night? I saw that too late but would have been cool to welcome the lads home. Still stinging from how that ended but it really was a great season and nice to finally collect some well-deserved silverware.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #1527
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I went out with a small group of friends; it was fantastic to see how appreciative the guys were last night to the fans who made it out to the airport — a great bunch of guys, starting from coach Tommy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #1528
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has been a cloud over my head.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #1529
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I went out with a small group of friends; it was fantastic to see how appreciative the guys were last night to the fans who made it out to the airport — a great bunch of guys, starting from coach Tommy.
How many fans would you say?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #1530
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
This has been a cloud over my head.
Still smarting from this one as well. I think what bugs me is the way CPL has structured this with the two trophies. It's much harder to win consistently over a regular season than it is to win two playoff games, yet the implication is that the North Star Cup winners are "league champions". Really the "regular season" winners have won the league, and the North Star Cup should be a separate tournament like the FA Cup.

Of course, I'm obviously biased just because I really wanted Cavalry to win and it bothers me immensely that Forge will be considered as having the greater triumph with all of this.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #1531
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Still smarting from this one as well. I think what bugs me is the way CPL has structured this with the two trophies. It's much harder to win consistently over a regular season than it is to win two playoff games, yet the implication is that the North Star Cup winners are "league champions". Really the "regular season" winners have won the league, and the North Star Cup should be a separate tournament like the FA Cup.

Of course, I'm obviously biased just because I really wanted Cavalry to win and it bothers me immensely that Forge will be considered as having the greater triumph with all of this.
Agree. I like that they improved the "prize" for winning the regular season. I wish that it was the big one like in Europe and elsewhere. And I'm not just saying that because Cavalry can win the league but can't see to figure out the playoffs.

Playoffs after the season are a North American thing for the most part, and I don't think that there's any way to get away from that. Personally I think that playoffs work well in the NHL and are a different beast entirely (7 game series, etc.) But a "one and done" match to decide an entire season that took months to complete? Not a fan of that. A tournament, sure, but not a whole season. But I don't see that ever changing on this continent.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:22 PM   #1532
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post

Agreed, but I'd actually be saying that even if the tables were turned too. It's such a crappy, anticlimactic way to end the season. We had the celebration after winning the league and then it's "oh, we 've got a few more games to play to see if we're truly champions!" I really dislike it all, but then I'm European and know that the playoff format won't change over here.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #1533
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoffs will always be around in this league, and they will always be considered more important. That's the way sports are in this area of the world. We saw before the finals that league media and OneSoccer were already diminishing Cavalry's success in the regular season and we'll just have to live with them shoving this down our throats for another year. Just means I'll be tuning them out until the season starts as I don't want to hear it.

But at some point, Cavalry have to learn how to win in the playoffs against Forge. They did the hard part last weekend, and then bottled it within 10 minutes.

Thankfully they can get some practice in February against a club that will be significantly better than what they face here in Canada.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #1534
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of CPL players on Canada's U-17 World Cup squad this month.

Really curious to see where Tahid goes when he turns 18. Already has shown to be a pretty solid player at the CPL level at 16.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1720063301076336981

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 08:16 AM   #1535
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
How many fans would you say?
Maybe 50 or 60? I'm not sure who was and wasn't family of the team. Some media was there, too. Nice to see.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #1536
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

MLS has trialed a best of three series in the first round of the playoffs this year. Jury is still out if people like it as only the first games have been played so far.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #1537
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
MLS has trialed a best of three series in the first round of the playoffs this year. Jury is still out if people like it as only the first games have been played so far.
Do any teams get byes? Cause that seems like a long time to not have a game if it goes 3 games. Have to think that would be a good 2 weeks off.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:10 AM   #1538
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

No byes. They had a one game play-in round for the last spot in the playoffs in each conference.
And after the first round they go back to single elimination knockout
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #1539
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

MLS is shockingly trying to milk every cent out of the thing. They epitomize everything that is gross about North American sports.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #1540
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone looking for something to do today….Canada west final at MRU at 1;00. MRU Vs UBC.

Will be a really good game, and assuredly some future CPL players. (Many drafted already).
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , fced is no good / dead , ftf , soccer