Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 04:12 PM   #15101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That is good. FWIW, it's not like races didn't mix in the 90s, either. We had every ethnicity and colour at all the parties and stuff. There was just this group of people that were Chinese that were maybe in IB or something? Like, they weren't in ANY of my classes and I didn't even know they were in my grade until grad. I was like, wtf, I thought I knew everybody.
I dont know, I mean I remember when I was a kid the schools I went to were whiter than Wonder Bread, when I was going to my kids' school events it was a lot more diverse.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:16 PM   #15102
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to a Vietnamese restaurant in Shawnessy last year, it was full, I was literally the only non-white person in there other than the staff.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:18 PM   #15103
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Fast food places after 10pm have become so useless. Last night we had a long day and it was 11pm and went to pick up McDonald's. Took 3 minutes just for someone to even realize I was waiting to order. Then she interrupted my order 3 times while I was in the middle of ordering and kept getting my order wrong on the screen.

After finally getting to pickup windows I sat there for 10 minutes without anyone even acknowledging I was st the pickup window so I just drove off and made some peanut butter sandwiches when I got home.

Is it just me or is service really going down in Calgary? It's like nobody cares anymore. I worked at a mcdonalds 24 years ago and mcdonalds was just as busy back then and we'd never treat a customer like that.
McDs are just money laundering operations after 9pm.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:23 PM   #15104
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know, I mean I remember when I was a kid the schools I went to were whiter than Wonder Bread, when I was going to my kids' school events it was a lot more diverse.
I went to Annie Foote in Temple kindergarten to grade 5. That was a diverse situation. Coolest part about kids is they don't even register it as diverse. You're just buddies with your group. My little posse was two white kids, a Chinese kid, a Pakistani kid and a black girl from Ghana.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #15105
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I went to Annie Foote in Temple kindergarten to grade 5. That was a diverse situation. Coolest part about kids is they don't even register it as diverse. You're just buddies with your group. My little posse was two white kids, a Chinese kid, a Pakistani kid and a black girl from Ghana.
Funny thing...that girl reached out to me a couple months ago. She lives in Florida now. We exchanged family pics and are going to meet up at some point (with families; don't be weird). Really looking forward to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #15106
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think more kids are more accepting now as well

My 20yr old daughter has a bunch of friends from Straight to Bi to Gay to trying to figure it out, and none of them are worried about it.

They all like and accept each other.

Even my son who is 18 and pretty serious athlete hangs out with all ranges of guys, from other serious athletes to “super nerds”.

They all accept each other and get along.

I struggled with being accepting when I was younger it is nice to see.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 05:45 PM   #15107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny thing...that girl reached out to me a couple months ago. She lives in Florida now. We exchanged family pics and are going to meet up at some point (with families; don't be weird). Really looking forward to it.
I found the only concerning part was that she lives in Florida. Those people are crazy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-09-2024, 10:18 PM   #15108
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I found the only concerning part was that she lives in Florida. Those people are crazy.
Yeah she seems normal, but who knows. She'll probably smoke meth and jump on the hood of my car or something.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:29 AM   #15109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah she seems normal, but who knows. She'll probably smoke meth and jump on the hood of my car or something.
Its really the Bath Salts you have to worry about.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #15110
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
don't be weird). Really looking forward to it.
You new here?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 10:35 AM   #15111
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

heh... my mind immediately went to this...
Old 05-10-2024, 10:35 AM   #15112
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm quite impressed living in Panorama at how diverse all of the groups of teenagers I see are, especially whenever I go to Vivo. I'm sure they still have their cliques, but they don't appear to be based on race at all from what I can see
Honestly, Vivo in general has been really impressive with how actually useful of a third-space for kids it's been. Mine's too little to hang with friends there yet, but we have a family pass for the gym, pool and indoor park so we're there multiple times a week, and it's fantastic that the Four Hills have a place for teens to just...be teens outside the home.

Sure sometimes they beef but for the most part it's just a rare hangout space that isn't overly policed or outwardly hostile to kids. Which may at least be in part from being across the street from a copshop but y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:44 AM   #15113
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m not going to pretend to “know” the repercussions of sticking a phone or tablet in your toddlers face in literally every circumstance… but I can’t imagine it’ll be good.

Just don’t have a kid. That’s an option.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:51 AM   #15114
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m not going to pretend to “know” the repercussions of sticking a phone or tablet in your toddlers face in literally every circumstance… but I can’t imagine it’ll be good.

Just don’t have a kid. That’s an option.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 11:44 AM   #15115
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So we fixed the lead in everything problem… only to ruin our brains in a new way.

I was on a bus today, 4 toddlers are on the bus. 3 of them are holding phones watching shows. My kid is waving at everyone and watching cars drive by. It couldn’t be a simpler environment to distract a kid… it gave me “Wall-E” vibes.

Edit: finished watching that. That guy was great! Very interesting yet unsurprising info. But I’m hopeful of a trend shift. They are starting the ban them in schools in Ontario.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 05-10-2024 at 12:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:37 PM   #15116
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want the long form version here's a 20 minute presentation followed by an interview with Tristan Harris (who is also amazing on this topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L58niidJM0
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:47 PM   #15117
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If you want the long form version here's a 20 minute presentation followed by an interview with Tristan Harris (who is also amazing on this topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L58niidJM0
Thanks, I like Keppler but thought he was a bit much there.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:58 PM   #15118
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Thanks, I like Keppler but thought he was a bit much there.
It's a bit of a tough job for him because at the end of the day it's a comedy show, and it's hard to keep these doomsday topics funny... it's almost too dark even for dark humour.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:44 PM   #15119
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ing loud motorbikes ruining summer again. Losers. Go crash in a hedge.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 06:20 PM   #15120
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
####ing loud motorbikes ruining summer again. Losers. Go crash in a hedge.

Loud motorbikes, loud cars, loud honking, people that don't move for emergency vehicles so they have to blare their horns at them... makes me wish I had a paintball gun and I could shoot them from the balcony.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: