Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 12:43 PM   #14741
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
And we wonder why the earth is dying?
CAPTAIN PLANET!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 01:29 PM   #14742
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My history of changing my own oil is littered with "if only" and "maybe next time."

Each time I learn a new and calamitous lesson.

I imagine that if I worked at a Mr. Lube or whatever the conversation would go something like:

"Locke. We have to let you go. You have screwed up, in what could only be considered wonderous and unfathomable ways, in its own way its actually rather impressive. And yet here we are."
I could be wrong, but I don’t think Mr. Lube have their accountants do oil changes.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:21 PM   #14743
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I thought it was supplies for the Calendar Shoot?
How do you think they apply the oil onto the pole?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 04:23 PM   #14744
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I could be wrong, but I don’t think Mr. Lube have their accountants do oil changes.
How easy are DIY oil changes on helicopters?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:02 PM   #14745
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
How do you think they apply the oil onto the pole?
That seems inefficient but entertaining...if you're into that sort of thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:21 PM   #14746
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nicer weather, more pathway walking with the dog, more bikes out there and still so few of them ring a bell or call out that they are passing. Turds.
When I ride my bike I ring it all the time.

Oh and the same rules apply about passing as in a car, wait until its safe to do so. If you are coming up behind someone but theres also foot or bike traffic coming the other way, just wait. You arent riding in the TdF ya clown.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:11 AM   #14747
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why the hell does everyone want a teams meeting to discuss stuff that I just need an email? You asked for a quote, I asked you for how many people/how many hours, and now you want a teams meeting to discuss it? Just give me the fricking numbers already!
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 08:15 AM   #14748
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Why the hell does everyone want a teams meeting to discuss stuff that I just need an email? You asked for a quote, I asked you for how many people/how many hours, and now you want a teams meeting to discuss it? Just give me the fricking numbers already!
You're on mute
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 08:33 AM   #14749
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well...see...the thing is we have a <describes job in detail> that will require x people for y hours but we only have the budget for x-25% people for y-25% hours. We're hoping you have some suggestions on how you can provide us a bunch of free work? We think if the meeting becomes a sunk cost you'll be more likely to do it
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:40 AM   #14750
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My company is 100% at the office and they hate the idea of hybrid/remote work. One of the reasons is because they see a lot of value with meeting in person. I end up in a surprising amount of Teams meeting though which really pisses me off especially because everyone is just sitting in their office on Teams.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:15 AM   #14751
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sea change in expectations around availability since the adoption of instant messaging tools like Teams and the move to remote/hybrid work, RMGM.

Back when email was the primary mode of communication, a same-day response, or maybe within an hour if it was really urgent, was fine. Now people expect immediate, real-time responses. I’ve had people make requests to me in Teams, and after I respond that I’ll provide the thing, follow up 8 minutes later with “Still waiting…”

People not only expect instant communication, they also now expect everyone to be available over lunchtime. I can count on one hand the number of times in my working life before the pandemic I was invited to meetings over lunch hour. Now it happens once or twice a month. I guess the assumption is people don’t go out for lunch anymore, so everyone is sitting at their desks from 12-1.

There’s just way more meetings altogether now that companies use Teams. You needed a fairly good reason to gather people together in a boardroom. Now that you just need to open Teams to attend a meeting, it seems people feel we need to meet more often.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 AM   #14752
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

“Sea change” is a bit much. It’s a problem with your company and not a unique one, but things aren’t like that everywhere.

I’m hybrid and have around 3-4 teams meetings a week. Almost all pre-scheduled, never at lunch or before/after hours. I work with dozens of clients and respond to emails based on urgency, which can range from a few minutes to a few days (and sometimes not at all). The expectation is that you’re reading your emails and teams messages while you’re working and being adult enough to determine when you need to respond.

I go out for lunch, golf in the afternoon when I’m not busy, run errands when I have free time, and generally just live my life.

But, I’ve worked in the opposite. The biggest difference is that I work in a place where everyone respects everyone else’s time and there are zero micromanagers. But they exist, so it’s worth remembering that problems aren’t always societal and they may just be problems at your current place of work (and they can be fixed over time).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:40 AM   #14753
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have the answer to this, how about we take this offline? Thanks. Well if there are no further questions we can end this early and give you 10 minutes back. Thanks everyone.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:50 AM   #14754
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually get this a lot when people want to meet remotely.

"Lets do a Teams meeting!"

No.

I dont even have a webcam at my office. Why do I need to see you? Are you going to hold your Tax Documents up to the camera so I can see them?

Send me your documents.

And then...whats wrong with a simple phone call?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:01 AM   #14755
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The sea change in expectations around availability since the adoption of instant messaging tools like Teams and the move to remote/hybrid work, RMGM.

Back when email was the primary mode of communication, a same-day response, or maybe within an hour if it was really urgent, was fine. Now people expect immediate, real-time responses. I’ve had people make requests to me in Teams, and after I respond that I’ll provide the thing, follow up 8 minutes later with “Still waiting…”

People not only expect instant communication, they also now expect everyone to be available over lunchtime. I can count on one hand the number of times in my working life before the pandemic I was invited to meetings over lunch hour. Now it happens once or twice a month. I guess the assumption is people don’t go out for lunch anymore, so everyone is sitting at their desks from 12-1.

There’s just way more meetings altogether now that companies use Teams. You needed a fairly good reason to gather people together in a boardroom. Now that you just need to open Teams to attend a meeting, it seems people feel we need to meet more often.
I don't fall for that. I don't go to meetings just because it's easier on teams. You need to give me a reason to go, just like if it were in person.

Don't you block your calendar for lunch and other things? I've weaponized my calendar. I've blocked times for lunch, coffee, and do not disturb times, like watching soccer or baseball, or actually getting work done. I actually only have a quarter of the meetings my calendar says I do.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:18 AM   #14756
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

99% of my Teams meetings no one even has the camera on anyway. So what's the point? You could have just answered my question this morning so I could give you your quote, or I can wait 3 days for a Teams meeting on a Friday afternoon, in which case you're not getting your quote until next Monday because I'm not doing extra work on a Friday afternoon because you're an idiot.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:52 AM   #14757
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not just my company. A Microsoft study of U.S. workplaces found a 250 per cent increase in time spent in Teams meetings over the last few years.

It’s not just you. Experts agree the post-pandemic workplace really is more distracting

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ace-really-is/

Since the pandemic began, is it better to have more meetings at work or none at all?

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/13/11566...k-or-none-at-a

The Pandemic Changed Us. Now Companies Have to Change Too.

https://hbr.org/2022/07/the-pandemic...-to-change-too

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2024 at 11:55 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #14758
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Too many wasteful meetings is a work story as old as I can remember.

Mostly now I’d rather get on Teams than the phone so I can share a screen. That’s about the only reason. I’m with Girly here, I have all sorts of time blocked off in my calendar.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 PM   #14759
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s not just my company. A Microsoft study of U.S. workplaces found a 250 per cent increase in time spent in Teams meetings over the last few years.

It’s not just you. Experts agree the post-pandemic workplace really is more distracting

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ace-really-is/

Since the pandemic began, is it better to have more meetings at work or none at all?

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/13/11566...k-or-none-at-a

The Pandemic Changed Us. Now Companies Have to Change Too.

https://hbr.org/2022/07/the-pandemic...-to-change-too
Teams meetings went up by 252% from pre-pandemic to February 2022?

Gee, wonder why.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 02:48 PM   #14760
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d much rather ignore pointless blather virtually than in person.

“Any reason you need me in this 2 hour in person task force meeting?”

“Come on in and find out!”

“Nope.”
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote