Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2024, 10:58 AM   #14661
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Our neighborhood scouts put a request flier in our mail boxes the week before, then I just put the bag out if I have one for them Saturday morning with the flier on it. They never ring the bell. I like that system.
That seems like a pretty decent system.

I have a few places on this Earth that I absolutely hate going to, Banks, Registry Offices, Work, the Dentist, theres more, but the Bottle Depot is right up there.

So in days past I would store bottles in my garage for like 6 months. Because I put it off and put it off and put it off...

So if the Cubs or a local Hockey team came by? Have. At. 'Er.

I remember one time the local Cubs came by and I was watching Liverpool, rang the doorbell and...okay.

So I open the garage door and it was Aladdin walking into that Treasure Cave. In the original movie, not the one with Will Smith. Can you imagine he doesnt slap anyone in that movie? Bah! But I digress.

"How much can we take??"

What? I dont GAF. I dont want any of it. Tell your dad to back the truck up and go to town. Make trips if you have to. I dont care.

Yeah, I hate taking bottles in.

Someone recommended 'Vecova' a while back and thats a great, great idea...its not really a 'service' per se, but I think its a great idea.

They come and pick up the bottles, they get the money and then send you a tax receipt for it and in the meantime you're essentially donating your bottles to an organization that assists the mentally disabled and at the same time has them out and about and doing a little light work with their day and making it so you dont have to go to the Bottle Depot.

Hey....thats like Win/Win/Win/Win/Win.

Thats Wins all around. I think its great.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:00 AM   #14662
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I have a few places on this Earth that I absolutely hate going to, Banks, Registry Offices, Work, the Dentist, theres more, but the Bottle Depot is right up there.

So in days past I would store bottles in my garage for like 6 months. Because I put it off and put it off and put it off...

I remember one time the local Cubs came by and I was watching Liverpool, rang the doorbell and...okay.

So I open the garage door and it was Aladdin walking into that Treasure Cave. In the original movie, not the one with Will Smith. Can you imagine he doesnt slap anyone in that movie? Bah! But I digress.

"How much can we take??"

What? I dont GAF. I dont want any of it. Tell your dad to back the truck up and go to town. Make trips if you have to. I dont care.

Someone recommended 'Vecova' a while back and thats a great, great idea...its not really a 'service' per se, but I think its a great idea.

They come and pick up the bottles, they get the money and then send you a tax receipt for it and in the meantime you're essentially donating your bottles to an organization that assists the mentally disabled and at the same time has them out and about and doing a little light work with their day and making it so you dont have to go to the Bottle Depot.

Do you not have a recycling bin, or do you just drink 1000 bottles of coke per week?
Old 04-20-2024, 11:27 AM   #14663
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Do you not have a recycling bin, or do you just drink 1000 bottles of coke per week?
Yes. Coke.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #14664
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Holy fk, could cub scouts, guides, hockey teams, etc. fk right off with bottle drives? We throw ours in the blue bin, but even if we didn't, the last group of Saturday morning goofballs would have already grabbed the bottles, so what's the point of coming a week later to disturb our Saturday morning?

Parents: pay for your own kids' stupid-ass activities. Or sell me something...50/50 tickets, popcorn, whatever. Just don't come bothering me with your hand out for your priveleged activity on a weekend. Such a piss off.
I like seeing the kids work for it. If I have bottles and cans in the house as I usually do, I give them up.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:09 PM   #14665
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy fk, could cub scouts, guides, hockey teams, etc. fk right off with bottle drives? We throw ours in the blue bin, but even if we didn't, the last group of Saturday morning goofballs would have already grabbed the bottles, so what's the point of coming a week later to disturb our Saturday morning?

Parents: pay for your own kids' stupid-ass activities. Or sell me something...50/50 tickets, popcorn, whatever. Just don't come bothering me with your hand out for your priveleged activity on a weekend. Such a piss off.
Get rid of your door bell. Ignore knocking, why are you even paying attention to a rando on your door step. Every person you want to visit your house you will know they are coming.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:09 PM   #14666
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I havent made a trip to the depot in a few years. Having older kids, i make them do it, they keep the money.
Have also done what Fuzz mentioned if i see the flyer and remember to do it
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:16 PM   #14667
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Get rid of your door bell. Ignore knocking, why are you even paying attention to a rando on your door step. Every person you want to visit your house you will know they are coming.
I ignore my doorbell unless there’s a car in front. My wife answers everything. One time she called back an unknown caller when she missed the call. She listens to entire sales phone pitches then scolds them for wasting her time, lol.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 10:09 PM   #14668
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in January, YouTube gave me an offer to sign up for Premium for 3 months for free. It expired today and the return of ads is already driving me crazy.

I really wish they offered an ad-free only option without all the other premium stuff.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:17 PM   #14669
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Back in January, YouTube gave me an offer to sign up for Premium for 3 months for free. It expired today and the return of ads is already driving me crazy.

I really wish they offered an ad-free only option without all the other premium stuff.
Ad blocker. I haven’t watched a YouTube ad in years.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:19 PM   #14670
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Ad blocker. I haven’t watched a YouTube ad in years.
Can't put one on my tv, as far as I know.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:21 PM   #14671
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I find the whole sequence fun, and an enjoyable part of my drive. Signal, enter, signal out, signal off. It’s fun. But then I’m equally annoyed that I’m the only one doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Left signal goes on prior to entering the circle and remains on until I am going to exit, then I change to right signal. That's how I was taught years ago.
I remember reading these posts a couple weeks ago and it didn't feel right to me. I signal when exiting the circle but never when entering. My son is studying the book right now so I picked it up to double check and sure enough there's no mention of signalling to enter.

Pages 61-63 of the book below.

https://open.alberta.ca/publications/drivers-guide
Old 04-20-2024, 11:14 PM   #14672
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

"How much can we take??"

Skipthedepot my friend. They come and grab it then e-transfer you when they count them. Think they just keep like 20%, which to me is worth it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:27 PM   #14673
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I remember reading these posts a couple weeks ago and it didn't feel right to me. I signal when exiting the circle but never when entering. My son is studying the book right now so I picked it up to double check and sure enough there's no mention of signalling to enter.

That signaling to enter never made sense to me; what else are you going to be doing in that spot?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 12:08 AM   #14674
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No soliciting signs are cheap. But by your words, they’re still disturbing your Saturday slumber.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:57 AM   #14675
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Hwat? Read again.

With respect to single-lane roundabouts (bottom of p. 61):
When you intend to exit at the first available exit:
• Use your right signal as you approach.
Leave it on until you have exited the circle.
• As you approach, scan for pedestrians and cyclists at the crosswalks at the entrance and exits of the circle.
And with respect to two-lane roundabouts (p. 63):
• Approach the circle using the right lane.
• Use your right signal as you approach. Leave it on until you have exited the circle.
• As you approach, scan for pedestrians and cyclists at the crosswalks at the entrance and exits of the circle.
• Yield to traffic in the circle.
• Exit the circle using the right lane.

When you intend to leave at any other exit:
• Approach the circle using the left lane.
• Activate your left signal to communicate that you do not plan to use the first exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
That signaling to enter never made sense to me; what else are you going to be doing in that spot?
If you signal your intent a person at the next exit who would ostensibly have to yield to you because you're to their left can know whether:
  1. if you're signalling left, you're going past the first exit, and the person needs to yield to you, or
  2. if you're signalling right, you're going to get off at the next exit, and the person can enter the roundabout

If you don't signal your intent when you approach the roundabout that person to your right is left guessing WTF you're going to do, and if they're driving defensively ought to just sit there and wait for you to do WTF you're going to do. If you're just getting off at the first exit and don't signal when entering the roundabout they have to unnecessarily wait when they themselves could have just gone without having to stop for you. Surely you can see how this pisses other people off...?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 07:56 AM   #14676
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Edit: never mind, I was using it to communicate to those waiting to enter, exactly as quoted above.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:35 AM   #14677
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I'll admit that I missed some of that in the book as I had mostly read the Entering the Circle section where it has no mention of signalling. Kinda odd to not have that there.

I actually do use the right when intending to exit at the first exit, maybe not exactly as I approach the circle but near enough as soon as I enter. My contention is with the left signal. According to the book there is no need to ever left signal on a single lane circle so if you're going to the second or third exit, you wouldn't signal at all when entering the circle. Only when you're approaching your exit.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:00 AM   #14678
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Parents who buy their kids electric 'Power Wheels' cars (or whatever they're called these days).

So loud and obnoxious. No, I don't particularly want my kid to have a ride (but hey, very generous of your kid to offer up the passenger seat and never ever ever offer a turn at the wheel, cool!).

Somehow the dynamic is different than just about any other "look at that toy!" or invitation to play situation. No = guaranteed tantrum (and probably a long one as we hear the echo of those ####ty plastic tires for minutes to come) . Yes = disrupts whatever fun we were already having and means an annoying period of jogging along to make sure they don't get squished by a Suburban or rollover on a curb. Brutal.

Maybe I'm just the fun police...or maybe not:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...y-room/383383/
Even worse is when parents bring them to a campground and the germ bags ride them on the gravel roads at 7am. Louder than any alarm clock known to man.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #14679
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

Hwat? Read again.

With respect to single-lane roundabouts (bottom of p. 61):
• Use your right signal as you approach.
Leave it on until you have exited the circle.
And with respect to two-lane roundabouts (p. 63):
• Approach the circle using the right lane.
• Use your right signal as you approach. Leave it on until you have exited the circle.
• Yield to traffic in the circle.
• Exit the circle using the right lane.

When you intend to leave at any other exit:
• Approach the circle using the left lane.
• Activate your left signal to communicate that you do not plan to use the first exit.

If you signal your intent a person at the next exit who would ostensibly have to yield to you because you're to their left can know whether:
  1. if you're signalling left, you're going past the first exit, and the person needs to yield to you, or
  2. if you're signalling right, you're going to get off at the next exit, and the person can enter the roundabout

If you don't signal your intent when you approach the roundabout that person to your right is left guessing WTF you're going to do, and if they're driving defensively ought to just sit there and wait for you to do WTF you're going to do. If you're just getting off at the first exit and don't signal when entering the roundabout they have to unnecessarily wait when they themselves could have just gone without having to stop for you. Surely you can see how this pisses other people off...?
Unless I'm misunderstanding your answer, Swift and I are talking about approaching to enter the roundabout and not approaching the exit of the roundabout. The quotes from the guide you selected are about signaling when approaching the exit of the roundabout.

Edited to add the complete selection from the guide on p63 - your snippet left out the context of approaching. Nowhere in the sections about entering a roundabout does it make mention of having to signal.

Quote:
Two-lane traffic circle /
roundabout

Entering circular intersections:

Drivers entering the circular intersection
must yield to drivers already in the circle.

Once in the circle, drivers must activate
the right signal when preparing to exit.

Using the right lane to enter and exit:

Drivers entering the circle from the right
lane must do so when it is safe and stay
in the right lane while in the circle.
They
must exit using the right lane.

Using the left lane to enter and exit:

Drivers using the left lane to enter the
circle must do so when it is safe and
stay in the left lane while in the circle/
roundabout.
They must exit using the left
lane. Drivers planning to travel past the
first exit should use the left lane to enter
and exit.

In circular intersections:

While in the circle, the drivers on the
right must yield to the drivers on the left.
Activate the right signal when preparing
to exit. Use caution when exiting and
crossing through the right (outside) lane.

Last edited by D as in David; 04-21-2024 at 09:32 AM.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:46 AM   #14680
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

No I think timun is right as it does mention when approaching the circle. The guide is a bit of a mess though as god knows why it mentions that under the Exit section rather than the Entering section.

However as I mentioned in the previous post, there appears to be no obligation to signal when entering a single lane circle unless taking the first right.