Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1421
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would argue that Colborne didn't earn his spot. He was especially slow to start the season and looked worse than Baertschi a lot of the time IMO. Guys like Poirer and Street looked significantly better during camp too.
agreed. I love Joe but he definitely didn't "earn" his ice time (at the beginning of the year). looked great when he moved to wing though.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1422
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would argue that Colborne didn't earn his spot. He was especially slow to start the season and looked worse than Baertschi a lot of the time IMO. Guys like Poirer and Street looked significantly better during camp too.
They sent Porier back after 1 preseason game didn't they? Well before they traded for Joe.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #1423
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I don't think there is a team in the league that would play a player because they "promised" time to him if there is a better player available and on the roster (or on the farm).
It happens at the end of the season all the time. Hanowski, Agostino, Van Branbrant, Arnold, Gaudreau .......... That's just the Flames examples.

I'm pretty sure that when they put the pen and paper in front of them the pitch line is "Sign here, and you will be playing in the NHL this week".
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #1424
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

They sent Poirier back because his physical conditioning wasn't NHL level.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #1425
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do you guys honestly think that a team is really going to promise NHL time to him?

I don't think there is a team in the league that would play a player because they "promised" time to him if there is a better player available and on the roster (or on the farm).

I just think he wants to pick a team weak on the right side so he has the BEST chance to make it the quickest, Calgary obviously fits this role.
Your Oilers promised time to Justin Schultz. Even called in old favours from guys like Gretzky to try and make a sales pitch.

They tried to convince Heatley that they'd build their entire team around him.

If you actually think that politics never happens at any level in an NHL team then there's nothing else to really say.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #1426
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Joe spent 3 years in the AHL though. He eared the position he was in and didn't demand he be on the team. big differences.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #1427
Hemmer
Mullet Face

Exp:

Not sure where all the notion on here that the Oilers guaranteed Schultz a roster spot or ice time comes from. Please provide source as from all I read and remember at the time of his signing was that there was no indication of this. And Schultz tore up the AHL in his time there so there was no way he wasn't gonna make the Oilers that year anyway.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/3...-justin-shultz

"At no point, however, did anyone promise him a roster spot, or any sort of ice time.
“It was never about anyone guaranteeing me a spot, that’s not who I am,” he said. “I want to earn my spot. Edmonton was really clear about that. They said I had to earn my spot on the team. I don’t want to be portrayed as someone who was looking for a guaranteed spot, that’s not me.”
They’re not giving him the job, they’re expecting him to take it."
Hemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #1428
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer View Post
Not sure where all the notion on here that the Oilers guaranteed Schultz a roster spot or ice time comes from. Please provide source as from all I read and remember at the time of his signing was that there was no indication of this. And Schultz tore up the AHL in his time there so there was no way he wasn't gonna make the Oilers that year anyway.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/06/3...-justin-shultz

"At no point, however, did anyone promise him a roster spot, or any sort of ice time.
“It was never about anyone guaranteeing me a spot, that’s not who I am,” he said. “I want to earn my spot. Edmonton was really clear about that. They said I had to earn my spot on the team. I don’t want to be portrayed as someone who was looking for a guaranteed spot, that’s not me.”
They’re not giving him the job, they’re expecting him to take it."
It's cute that you actually believe that.

No, really. I'm sure he chose the Oil for Edmonton's rich, vibrant culture and the team's proven track record of success.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #1429
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Early in the year, Colborne wasn't a good hockey player, but we kept him up because otherwise the flames would have lost him to waivers. Think about it for a second, when the trade first came through, the thought process must have been that Colborne would get NHL icetime until he either proved he was an asset or a liability. Colborne, in no uncertain terms, was guaranteed some NHL icetime. It would be stupid to trade for a player and then send him through waivers because he didn't perform well immediately.

Credit to Colborne though, he really improved throughout the season to the point where I don't think there's anyone on this board who would argue that Colborne isn't an NHL player. (It helps that moon isn't around.)

The only difference in this situation is that, assuming Hayes needs NHL time for him to sign, the Flames could lie to him and then send him down in the middle of the year if the AHL would truly be better for him. Where Colborne would be subject to waivers Hayes wouldn't have a say in the matter. That said, I think that everyone would agree that that would be an Oiler-tier thing to do to the guy and that if that's the plan we shouldn't sign the guy in the first place.

Last edited by TheDebaser; 08-19-2014 at 05:18 PM.
TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #1430
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man. Can't believe this thread isn't over yet. Hayes must be loving his few days of fame as most desirable usaa.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #1431
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Man. Can't believe this thread isn't over yet. Hayes must be loving his few days of fame as most desirable usaa.
Sorry but I am going to call you and everyone that feels that way out.

What evidence do you have that he is enjoying his so called days of "fame"?

His agent isn't calling press conferences. Hayes nor his family/friends are constantly updating twitter. None of the big names in the media (McKenzie, Friedman, Dreger etc) are constantly updating on what is going on with the negotiations.

Other than the August 15th deadline passing there really hasn't been news with Hayes except for a couple of Boston area media types sharing what they are hearing.

There is no rush for him to sign. Ideally teams will want to sign him before training camp starts but until then he is free to take as much time as he wants to sign a contract that will be one of the biggest career decisions in his pro hockey career.

He doesn't owe it to fans to sign quickly.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #1432
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah this is one of the most important times in his life and he is granted to take a lot of time to weigh his options.

That said, the longer it takes the less I really care. I don't truly know if he expects a guaranteed spot, but if it is that black and white, then it can send a wrong message to the rest of our prospects if we sign him, based on the aforementioned 'earn your spot' comments by Treliving.

It sounds to me like he wants to play on a contending team who needs help on RW. If so, Boston is the best fit, especially given he is from the area. Not sure how important that is to him, but if it is, it would strengthen speculation of him signing there.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #1433
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Look at the last 3 years and compare that to any prior 3 years. It is definitely becoming more popular. And each year there are more draftees going the NCAA route.

If you don't see a trend, fine. I certainly do.
And how many NCAA players do you receive no offers? Far more than you see of players choosing not to sign. If you are going to make an NCAA players rights be help longer, then you would also have to force NHL teams to make offers to every player.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #1434
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's mostly just me turning from excited to impatient..
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #1435
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Yeah it's mostly just me turning from excited to impatient..
Same here. That and also, I'm so tired of hearing all the hot air blow up about the Avs..... used to be a team I really liked, now I just hope they crash and burn.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #1436
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It's cute that you actually believe that.

No, really. I'm sure he chose the Oil for Edmonton's rich, vibrant culture and the team's proven track record of success.
So do you think Gaudreau signed here because he was guaranteed a spot in the NHL or because of Calgary's rich, vibrant culture and track record of success?

Not sure why you would not believe a comment that Schultz said at the time, unless you think there was a secret plan to get him to say that while the whole time having guaranteed him a spot, similar to how Obama's parents put in a fake birth announcement in the Honolulu paper's so he could become President.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #1437
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
So do you think Gaudreau signed here because he was guaranteed a spot in the NHL or because of Calgary's rich, vibrant culture and track record of success?
No, probably a little more to do with not being a UFA and only capable of signing here...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #1438
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
No, probably a little more to do with not being a UFA and only capable of signing here...
He could have waited a year and signed anywhere. Only incentive to sign was to play in the NHL this year. On the basis of absolutely nothing (which is even less than the Schultz accusation because he denied it) it appears that Gaudreau only signed here because he was guaranteed to play in the NHL.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #1439
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
He could have waited a year and signed anywhere. Only incentive to sign was to play in the NHL this year. On the basis of absolutely nothing (which is even less than the Schultz accusation because he denied it) it appears that Gaudreau only signed here because he was guaranteed to play in the NHL.
He signed because he didn't want to go back to college, make the NCAA look like a beer league and be bored by November. He wants the best competition available and it was the right time for him to make the jump to go pro.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #1440
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sorry but I am going to call you and everyone that feels that way out.

What evidence do you have that he is enjoying his so called days of "fame"?

His agent isn't calling press conferences. Hayes nor his family/friends are constantly updating twitter. None of the big names in the media (McKenzie, Friedman, Dreger etc) are constantly updating on what is going on with the negotiations.

Other than the August 15th deadline passing there really hasn't been news with Hayes except for a couple of Boston area media types sharing what they are hearing.

There is no rush for him to sign. Ideally teams will want to sign him before training camp starts but until then he is free to take as much time as he wants to sign a contract that will be one of the biggest career decisions in his pro hockey career.

He doesn't owe it to fans to sign quickly.
Your points are well noted and even though I am one of the ones that wants him to hurry up and sign there is good logic in your post.

A lot of us are at wits end for some real player news. It's been dead quiet since mid July and this possibility got us all excited. The one thing I would say is that he's been on this course for a while and you'd think he's done some homework on places he'd like to play. Is it unreasonable to wait this long to make a decision? Probably not but if it's down to 4-5 teams, what is there left to talk about?

It's not on him to sign in order to make us happy and satisfy our curiosity but the dead calm for the past month has made people including myself antsy for some real news. Hell, a penner or setoguchi signing (not by us obviously) would break up the doldrums of August.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
FBI