Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #1421
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckin' Rights! View Post
You're Right, Oling (can I call you Oling?) Where is Aegon? I always had the impression that Dany is supposed to return to westeros and marry him.
Aegon Targaryen is about to go and try to take Storm's End with the Golden Company. The Golden Company that has been historically anti-Targaryen (created by Blackfyre loyalists originally).

Dany doesn't know of his existence, but he was originally on his way to try and marry her. Tyrion helped convince him that heading to Westeros and fighting for his throne would be the better way of getting her attention.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-19-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #1422
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

Thanks! I'm re-reading then as soon as I get home. I have a theory GRRM has all seven books written out in rough and just teases us by releasing them as he sees fit... It's cruelty.
Puckin' Rights! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #1423
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! I'm re-reading then as soon as I get home. I have a theory GRRM has all seven books written out in rough and just teases us by releasing them as he sees fit... It's cruelty.
Here's his three page outline from 1993 for a three book series. So in a way, you're right!
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #1424
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
There's references to the promise he swore to Lyanna on her "bed of blood"
That's the phrase that for me removed any doubt that Jon is Lyanna's son.

Martin uses the phrase "bed of blood" or "bloody bed" only 3 times in the entire book series (so far). All three are in the first book. Twice, Ned remembers making a promise to Lyanna while she lies in her "bed of blood". The other reference is when Dany asks the old woman for help with her pregnancy. The woman responds that she knows all the secrets of the "bloody bed". She is obviously referring to a maternity bed at the time.

Also, with the speculation about Tyrion being a Targaryen in this thread, I realized something (which, I'm sure everyone else realized a long time ago). If Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are the three heads of the Dragon (and assuming Jon is Lyanna's son), it's interesting to note that each of their mothers died giving birth to them (or shortly thereafter). I believe they are the only major characters in the story for whom that is true.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #1425
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I call Dany coming to rescue Jon from the others, they get married and found a new Stark Targaryen dynasty with Tyrion as the hand of the King. lol No way though with Dany set to marry some former slaver highborn on the TV show. Books maybe???
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #1426
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

It's all so much speculation at this point. I've just reread the first "bed of blood" reference in which Ned is recalling the promise he made. It was described as a room that smelled of blood and roses. Only two sentences and you're left to ponder on what the promise he made actually was.
I hadn't noticed the pattern before, between Dany, Jon and Tyrion. Thanks for pointing that out, getbak

Last edited by Puckin' Rights!; 05-19-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Thanked the wrong person for their input.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 AM   #1427
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
No way though with Dany set to marry some former slaver highborn on the TV show. Books maybe???
In the books she's married to Hizdahr as well, he's just portrayed as a bit more devious or cunning. He actually shows power before Daenerys accepts his marriage proposal in the book, in the show he's pleading for his life.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #1428
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

I just read the description of Tyrion again recently. The shade of his hair, "so blond it appeared white" lends some argument towards himself being a targaryen.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #1429
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I just don't understand how it could ever be proven. Unless he survives a blast of fire I suppose.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #1430
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy, do I hate being right all the time.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #1431
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
^ I just don't understand how it could ever be proven. Unless he survives a blast of fire I suppose.
It would be interesting to find out. Imagine some twist in which Varys knows, or Littlefinger.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #1432
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

Another thing to add as far as Jon being a targaryen is the rumours in winterfell that name Ashara Dayne, sister to Ser Arthur Dayne. She is described as tall and fair, with violet eyes. Sounds like Ashara is potentially a targaryen relation and Ned couldn't allow Robert to know that.

Last edited by Puckin' Rights!; 05-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #1433
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashara Dayne was Arthur Dayne's sister who was rumoured to have a thing for Ned, possibly Brandon, and committed suicide because her brother was killed by possibly the man she fancied. Arthur Dayne is Kingsguard, no wife for him.

The Daynes have historically had violet eyes but there's a lot of theories about the Daynes.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #1434
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

I edited my statement after realizing my mistake but thank you for the correction. Sounds like I have a lot of reading ahead of me to be as thoroughly knowledgeable as a lot of you all seem to be I enjoyed the books the first time around. Second time is for research!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #1435
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Ashara Dayne was Arthur Dayne's sister who was rumoured to have a thing for Ned, possibly Brandon, and committed suicide because her brother was killed by possibly the man she fancied. Arthur Dayne is Kingsguard, no wife for him.

The Daynes have historically had violet eyes but there's a lot of theories about the Daynes.
Am I to assume you've read GRRM's other novels and stories in order to collect more info? I was considering doing precisely that myself.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #1436
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am I to assume you've read GRRM's other novels and stories in order to collect more info? I was considering doing precisely that myself.
I've read the Dunk and Eggs stuff, as well as the short story about the original Dance of Dragons, but those were all prequels taking place like 100 years before this story.

They do provide a lot of insight into the Blackfyre stuff, but that's about it. There's easter eggs and the stories aren't bad but not a ton of additional information really pertaining to the current ASOIF story is in there.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #1437
Puckin' Rights!
Draft Pick

Have you considered checking out the World of Ice and Fire works? It may have some further valuable info.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #1438
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you considered checking out the World of Ice and Fire works? It may have some further valuable info.

It does! The artwork is pretty amazing too.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #1439
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm terrified of actually reading this letter. Can you provide any notes on whats gone differently without giving way things that are still likely to happen?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #1440
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'm terrified of actually reading this letter. Can you provide any notes on whats gone differently without giving way things that are still likely to happen?
Things that were outlined in broad strokes included the Stark/Lannister conflict in A Game of Thrones, but specifics that didn't come to pass include: Tyrion sacking Winterfell, Robb and Joffery meeting on the battlefield, and Eddard saving Arya and Catelyn. Dany and the Dothraki were going to invade Westeros in the middle book, planned to be called A Dance with Dragons. And the Others would be the focus of book three, The Winds of Winter.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming