Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 02:57 PM   #14261
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
This reminds me of a weird situation I had one time.

I was driving west on McKnight east of the airport by where the Esso used to be. I was basically in the same situation as the red Honda in this image: https://maps.app.goo.gl/T384BwUPdrLKLZC29

I was travelling with the flow of traffic and there was room in front of me and behind me but traffic in all three lanes. I was coming back from lunch, so it would have been around 1:00 and traffic wasn't that heavy. This guy was in the merge lane and drove right beside me for the entire length of the lane. There was plenty of room both in front of and behind me, so I didn't feel the need to make additional room for him.

As he got to the end of the lane, he slammed on his brakes and moved in behind me. I looked in my mirror and he was angrily yelling and gesturing.

I still have no idea what he was expecting me to do.
It is crazy how worked up some people get when they're driving.

Once, on Crowchild, in busy traffic, I needed to get over to the left lane to make a turn in 400M. a turn on my signal light, accelerate to make a gap and change lanes. sure the guy behind me needed to make a little space, but it was no big deal, we were moving with the flow of traffic and I was not going to break into a lane change.

This guy nearly had a meltdown, like was angry almost to tears. I wonder what his work day was like because if this was the only thing setting him off.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:58 PM   #14262
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Nah. When you're already on the road you have the advantage of knowing how fast you are going and having a nice full view of the situation in front of you. It's really not hard to anticipate roughly where the merger will end up.

When you're merging, it's a lot harder to tell if the guy in your mirror is going 20 over or 5 under. Forcing the merger to find the gap is how you get people crawling/stopping to find a cruiseship sized gap.

Even if the merger is going unpredictably fast or slow it shouldn't be an issue (unless you are too). Merging really isn't very hard, but letting someone merge efficiently is beyond easy - it's sad but not surprising how many people don't understand how this should work.
Funny how you can have this so backwards. When you're merging, you have the advantage of traffic beside you driving a consistent speed that you just need to match. On the other hand, when a struggle-merger is coming up beside you, you have no idea if they'll accelerate hard or chicken out and slow down. There's no way to make a gap for them (save for changing lanes) that you can be confident they'll actually use...

If I'm speeding slightly as I approach a merger who's already up to speed, I certainly won't move into their gap. If there's an open left lane i can use without inconveniencing anyone else, I'll use it. If there's heavy congestion, I'll allow a zipper. But that's the extent of my accommodating idiots.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #14263
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
In defense of the original gear grinder I was talking about a very specific set of circumstances. I'd say 9/10 the issue is fair enough, like I said. Weather, other traffic, a short or blind merge lane, that sort of thing

But if you're the only two cars within 200m and the only place the merger thinks they should get in is the 4.5m that already has a car in it? That person is completely stunned. It's like they're drawn to it. Must be the same type of person that can't park straight without having to park next to another car to help them line up.

Yeah, of course the right thing to do is help them out. But still #### that guy and his white camry. Outside of congestion I can't remember the last time I've needed to be 'let' in
I was thinking of your original post while driving earlier today…. Then the exact same thing happened to me. Tons of room ahead and behind me, but no room for me to move over. I stayed constant speed and sure enough they couldn’t decide to use their gas pedal or not.

Sometimes I wonder how people even manage to park their vehicles. But then I see someone parked on the hatched area BETWEEN handicapped stalls (repeatedly, several times weekly by different cars, at the same parking lot) and it regains my faith that humanity is lost and social mockery may be the best solution.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:59 PM   #14264
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

The attitude of "I'm not going to help out the person merging" is a nice microcosm for society these days. Nothing of benefit is really gained from not helping out whomever is merging, but it can be to a large detriment to the one merging. A little courtesy is actually better for both parties in the aggregate, but one party cannot fathom "losing" a bit to help out someone else.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:14 PM   #14265
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
The attitude of "I'm not going to help out the person merging" is a nice microcosm for society these days. Nothing of benefit is really gained from not helping out whomever is merging, but it can be to a large detriment to the one merging. A little courtesy is actually better for both parties in the aggregate, but one party cannot fathom "losing" a bit to help out someone else.
In the case of a struggling merger how do you define a little courtesy? Assuming there’s a lot of room ahead/behind me: If I’m in the lane I define that as preferably moving over to make room (if reasonably feasible), followed by driving in a consistent safe manner which is holding my speed (as a second option).
If the struggling merger refuses to be aware of traffic around them that’s on them. If they can’t figure how to fit into a space big enough for several cars(or a football field length) that’s on them. If they try to merge at anything less than 80%’ish that’s on them.
I’m not going to put myself and those around me at risk for their misjudged convenience.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 05:19 PM   #14266
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
It's nothing to do with winning or losing. It's hoping that if they fail enough at the simplest thing, then either they or their loved ones will recognize that they shouldn't be driving and they'll get off the roads permanently.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:31 PM   #14267
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I’m coming down a merge lane or on ramp etc I’m judging the traffic in the lane. If the space is in front and I need to punch it, I punch it. If the space is behind, I’ll let off to come in behind. If there’s space in front and behind, I punch it because I don’t drive like an old lady.

If there’s any space the other driver shouldn’t have to do anything more than letting off their accelerator for a millisecond to judge that I’m not a struggler and yes now that I’m in front of you I will be going faster than you.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #14268
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Worst merge I can think of is right here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FqfhZBZjixGw8Ldx8

From this angle, the merger can easily judge the flow of traffic and get to the very short merge zone at a speed matching traffic, although they may not have a gap when they get there. If they're up to speed though, I'll make room.

Here's that same merge from the through lanes:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rc4d9KwUDy9GZFKJ9

You know what screws things up? That idiot in the streetview image there (in the merge lane) who's hitting his brakes for NO REASON! That guy needs to get off the road.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:29 PM   #14269
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no helping these strugglers anyway. If you decide to slow down to let them slot in in front, that's when they'll then decide to get hard on the brakes to try and go behind you. If you floor it to get ahead of them they'll just pace you, and now you really look like an a-hole

In these scenarios I find it best to just be as predictable as possible and stay at the same speed
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 06:59 PM   #14270
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It doesn't help that they want to get over immediately regardless of how long the merge lane is. If you turn off Memorial onto Deerfoot you have until McKnight before the lane ends, but they need to get over in the first 10 meters for some reason.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 07:01 PM   #14271
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If I’m coming down a merge lane or on ramp etc I’m judging the traffic in the lane. If the space is in front and I need to punch it, I punch it. If the space is behind, I’ll let off to come in behind. If there’s space in front and behind, I punch it because I don’t drive like an old lady.

If there’s any space the other driver shouldn’t have to do anything more than letting off their accelerator for a millisecond to judge that I’m not a struggler and yes now that I’m in front of you I will be going faster than you.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:07 PM   #14272
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
Worst merge I can think of is right here:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FqfhZBZjixGw8Ldx8

From this angle, the merger can easily judge the flow of traffic and get to the very short merge zone at a speed matching traffic, although they may not have a gap when they get there. If they're up to speed though, I'll make room.

Here's that same merge from the through lanes:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rc4d9KwUDy9GZFKJ9

You know what screws things up? That idiot in the streetview image there (in the merge lane) who's hitting his brakes for NO REASON! That guy needs to get off the road.
This one a kilometre or two before that one is a fun one, too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9996...6656?entry=ttu
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:21 PM   #14273
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It doesn't help that they want to get over immediately regardless of how long the merge lane is. If you turn off Memorial onto Deerfoot you have until McKnight before the lane ends, but they need to get over in the first 10 meters for some reason.
No, that free flow/merge lane ends well before McKnight, unless you are considering going up and down the 16th Ave ramps as a continuation of that lane.)

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 04-05-2024 at 07:26 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 07:24 PM   #14274
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Same thing happens at SB Deerfoot to WB Glenmore. Tons of strugglers that feel they need to move over right away, even though that lane does not end until 14th Street by the Rockyview Hospital. This donkey behaviour generally results in traffic getting backed up on both SB Deerfoot and WB Glenmore.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 07:34 PM   #14275
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the topic of traffic related gear grinders:

I drove home on the west leg of the ring road yesterday in the middle of day and mother of god, what a ####ing mess. The road was very wet from the snow / rain and because of that, you could not make out the lanes to save your life... at some points heading south up the hill from 16th, you had drivers thinking there were three lanes, at other times, it seemed people were trying to squeeze in a 6th... utter crap.

It's something I suppose I've noticed on other roads, but because I'm more familiar with them (and they're older), I guess I wasn't bothered, but this has me wondering - does the city (province?) use some different asphalt & paint finish, where the paint is not reflective in any way and it all blends together in glossy black when it's dark or wet out?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:34 PM   #14276
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
No, that free flow/merge lane ends well before McKnight, unless you are considering going up and down the 16th Ave ramps as a continuation of that lane.)
Yeah, sorry I meant coming off 16th. Still, you have tons of time to get over.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:42 PM   #14277
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is no helping these strugglers anyway. If you decide to slow down to let them slot in in front, that's when they'll then decide to get hard on the brakes to try and go behind you. If you floor it to get ahead of them they'll just pace you, and now you really look like an a-hole

In these scenarios I find it best to just be as predictable as possible and stay at the same speed
I thought we decided you’re the struggler?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #14278
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Nuh uh, I got more thanks means I win

This thread is more fun when you double down on your gear grinder anyway
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:18 PM   #14279
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's amazing...I can't even remember the last time I encountered a struggler trying to merge. I wonder why that is?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:01 PM   #14280
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You’re struggling to correctly determine who the struggler is. Therefore…
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote