Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #1401
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My macbook is using up battery power really fast. It was fully charged and I surfed the web for about 15 minutes and it had already dropped to 87%. It seems to be losing power pretty rapidly. Is this a sign of malware or something running in the background or is the battery itself losing its charge?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #1402
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
My macbook is using up battery power really fast. It was fully charged and I surfed the web for about 15 minutes and it had already dropped to 87%. It seems to be losing power pretty rapidly. Is this a sign of malware or something running in the background or is the battery itself losing its charge?
How old is your MacBook? Is it an Air? A Pro?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #1403
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's a Pro. I bought it as refurbished model direct from Apple about 4.5 years ago. Is there anywhere on the computer that has the manufacture date of the unit?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #1404
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Click the Apple in the top left corner and the top of the menu should say "About this Mac". Click that and you should tell you what you have and when it was made. "Macbook Pro (mid 2012) or whatever it is.

It will also show you the serial number, which you can use to learn more.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #1405
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Download Coconut Battery:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

It will give you the manufacture date of your Mac and the battery, as well as the current capacity of your battery compared to when it was new.

Spoiler!
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #1406
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks guys I'll check out those options. Is there anything I should be worried about in terms of malware or anything running in the background?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #1407
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Click the Apple in the top left corner and the top of the menu should say "About this Mac". Click that and you should tell you what you have and when it was made. "Macbook Pro (mid 2012) or whatever it is.

It will also show you the serial number, which you can use to learn more.
It says Early 2011 so about 5 years or so.

Also I downloaded coconut battery and under "battery" it said that my status was good and that there was no battery failure.

Last edited by Kiran403; 09-18-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #1408
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Anyone pick up the 7 that can speak about the battery life compared to the 6 or 6s?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #1409
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also I downloaded coconut battery and under "battery" it said that my status was good and that there was no battery failure.
Does "planned obsolescence" count as malware?

I don't know if that's what is going on, but in my experience with Apple products (which is a fair bit), after three or four years they do start to make you want to buy a new one.

Could just be the normal life of a battery, I don't know. Losing 1% of battery life per minute seems a little much. Can you take it to the Apple store?

I don't know if they'll help for free, considering you're warranty is probably long finished, but maybe.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #1410
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

What did it say for the % of design capacity for your battery?

It may just be a case of your battery needing to be replaced at this age. I noticed my battery really start to suffer after 5 years on my last macbook as well.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #1411
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Does "planned obsolescence" count as malware?

I don't know if that's what is going on, but in my experience with Apple products (which is a fair bit), after three or four years they do start to make you want to buy a new one.

Could just be the normal life of a battery, I don't know. Losing 1% of battery life per minute seems a little much. Can you take it to the Apple store?

I don't know if they'll help for free, considering you're warranty is probably long finished, but maybe.
Legitimate question.... do you have a lot of non-apple laptops with batteries that last 5+ years? I find of the ones I've used Apple laptops seem to fare the best over time.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #1412
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Kiran,

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204054

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #1413
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was thinking about picking up a new iPad (iPad 2 Air) for my wife since she's still using the iPad 2 (non-retina). Has there been any news or roadmaps released regarding the next iteration of the iPad? Is it "safe" to buy one now?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #1414
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I was thinking about picking up a new iPad (iPad 2 Air) for my wife since she's still using the iPad 2 (non-retina). Has there been any news or roadmaps released regarding the next iteration of the iPad? Is it "safe" to buy one now?
That's a tricky call. Generally they refresh each year, and they just received slight memory/price adjustments a couple weeks back. The question is if that's considered the update for the year. My assumption is that we'll hear something in October.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#9-7-iPad-Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #1415
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
That's a tricky call. Generally they refresh each year, and they just received slight memory/price adjustments a couple weeks back. The question is if that's considered the update for the year. My assumption is that we'll hear something in October.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#9-7-iPad-Pro
That site is pretty neat. Thanks for that! I think we'll hold off and I'll just get a new graphics card for myself.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #1416
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm....

Quote:
Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group, the British supercar engineer and Formula One team owner, about a potential acquisition, in the clearest sign yet that the iPhone maker is seeking to transform the automotive industry.

The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations who said talks started several months ago.

A tie-up with McLaren, whose expertise ranges from automotive engineering and on-board computer systems to novel chassis materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium, could accelerate Apple’s secretive automotive project.

Apple and McLaren declined to comment.

The lossmaking automotive group was likely to be valued at between £1bn and £1.5bn, the people said, adding that it was not clear a deal would be done.

That would make it Apple’s biggest acquisition since the $3bn purchase of Beats Electronics, the audio group founded by Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, in 2014.

Earlier this year, Apple invested $1bn in Didi Chuxing, the Chinese ride-hailing company. That deal was Apple’s largest equity investment to date, as chief executive Tim Cook gradually breaks with the Silicon Valley company’s longstanding aversion to large deals.
https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-...0-8ec15fb462f4
Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #1417
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad that we live in a world where Beats is valued more than McLaren. I mean, I understand market share and all that, but it is depressing that a company with such talent and engineering is less valuable than a company that makes ####e headphones that look shiny.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #1418
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Every time I'm remembered what Beats is worth I literally laugh out loud. It's as if it's so preposterous that my mind will not hold it in memory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #1419
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's sad that we live in a world where Beats is valued more than McLaren. I mean, I understand market share and all that, but it is depressing that a company with such talent and engineering is less valuable than a company that makes ####e headphones that look shiny.
Apple didn't really care about Beats' headphones. It was their streaming service subscribers they were after. It's the same reason Facebook pays billions for companies like Instagram. If McLaren had millions of customers they'd be worth a lot more.

I just read that McLaren is denying they're in talks with Apple. Could be just a rumour.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #1420
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3031209/...-250000-subscr
$12,000 per subscriber. Those individuals are more overpriced than their headphones!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote