Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #1401
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They'll end up spanking the burn baby and sending him to his room without dessert?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #1402
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish I wasn't a sucker for all things Star Trek.

I am still confused about what is causing a burn -temper tantrums?

I know this is re-hashing already posted things, but how come every. little. thing. has to be an emotional moment?

A lot of the emotions are justified, but these characters need to get over themselves. When Michael lost her first officer status and Michael was telling the captain he was doing the right thing - they made HER the ethical one when she was in the wrong. Yes, the captain was doing the right thing, but it would be pure incompetence if he hadn't demoted her, and it should be obvious to everyone.

should of played out like:

Captain: Michael, you are being demoted for these reasons.
Michael: I know, you are correct for doing that
Captain: Ya no ####

Instead its a slow walk and just pain.

Lastly, when you have hero who can do a lot of things, I think the writers do that so people can see a super hero in themselves and cheer for the hero as a way to pretend they themselves could do that.

I don't know why, but I am actively cheering against Michael. I want the federation to win, but I keep hoping they win despite Michaels activities. Not Micheal makes a mistake, team bails her out, then she bails out the team in a much larger fashion.

Last edited by Mull; 01-07-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #1403
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The burn was basically caused by a temper tantrum, that's the math. A abandoned child mutated by radiation on a dillithium based planet. That's it, that's all, unless they do a major gear shift tonight, I expect the burn to be completely concluded, as well as the Emerald Chain story line. Then next year will focus on time travel probably.

Everything has to be emotional, but a lot of it seems forced or contrived. They had these other storylines that could have been cool and developed the bridge furniture (Its what I call everyone beyond Michael, Stamets, Tilley and Saru, but they either dropped them (Detmer) or flashed them out of nowhere and they were meaningless (Droid woman). Its just bad writing.

Yeah, any ship Captain who put out Judicial punishment and had the punished person assuring him that he had done the right thing would have found away to get that person off of the ship or out the airlock.

The problem is they've written themselves into a corner, Michael solves every problem, over rides everyone else's authority, and gets every juicy story beat, she's like the William Shatner in this series, where the writers have made her the extreme center point of everything. The feel to me is that they're really pushing for her to end this series as the Captain of Discovery, and they're now really pushing for Tilly to have a prominent role, though she's just annoying.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #1404
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess we should of guessed the burn would be directly the cause of someone's emotions given everything else in this series is overly emotional.

Just shocked it isn't somehow tied to Michael in the future past making a much larger sacrifice to create the burn but save a greater number of people. From what I understand from the lessons of this show- all things tie back to Michael and the universe is helpless without her.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #1405
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm torn

Spoiler!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #1406
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah for all of the build up - that was not good.

Spoiler!

Last edited by craigwd; 01-08-2021 at 09:21 AM.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #1407
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with the Captain in that there were some good things in that episode, and there are some likeable characters on this show (Saru, Book, Reno, Culber, Stamets). But yea, overall this season just fell flat after it seemed like it had finally found its footing in the first few episodes. It's disappointing.

Hopefully S2 of Picard can finally give us the live-action Trek that we all crave. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Picard had some flaws in its first season, but it's a better show that what we've gotten from Discovery.

The upcoming Pike series also sounds promising.

Last edited by direwolf; 01-08-2021 at 12:22 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 PM   #1408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With a lot of Picard, it works and its decent because you have a actor that can make you get past the bad plot decisions, bad writing and bad dialogue when it happens.

With discovery, I'd class most of the cast as poor actors that can't carry their scenes. The exception is Doug Jones, but maybe because I've been a fan of his work for a long time.

Even the actor who plays Stamets is underwhelming and one key which is surprising because he's always been pretty solid.

It was funny that Reno turned up at the end of the episode in the robot fixing but was nowhere to be seen when she would have been the perfect one to put the engineering spin on the plan, and be snark enough to tell these idiots to stop talking because they have limited oxygen. That long conversation, the long pep talks when they were running out of oxygen or when the ship was being shot up was the most unforgivable piece of writing in the episode in my mind.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #1409
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess spoiler for comments:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mull; 01-08-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #1410
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In response to CC comments:

I generally think the admiral does well in his scenes, aside from my comments in my previous post, but that is bad writing, not the actor.

Don't really disagree with anything in your spoiler post

In response to Craigwd comments- I am glad you share my comment about the admiral from my last post. Still pissed about that. I like they beat the chain however, I didn't like the idea of an integration.

Last edited by Mull; 01-08-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #1411
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot to mention, I did like the tail end of the episode with the old-school Trek music and that inspiring quote from Roddenberry. That was good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #1412
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Forgot to mention, I did like the tail end of the episode with the old-school Trek music and that inspiring quote from Roddenberry. That was good stuff.
Ya, I felt my anger fade from the previous scene. It almost all melted away from just that music alone
Old 01-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #1413
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Ya, I felt my anger fade from the previous scene. It almost all melted away from just that music alone

Funny thing is that you see that same scene in pretty much every Trek film and TV series: the bridge crew all smile at each other, the captain sits down in the big chair, looks straight ahead, says his/her catch-phrase, and then the ship warps away to the next adventure. But dammit, I f'n love those scenes, and I'm a total sucker for nostalgia, especially if you throw in the original theme music or an inspirational voice-over doing the famous "space- the final frontier" quote.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #1414
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Funny thing is that you see that same scene in pretty much every Trek film and TV series: the bridge crew all smile at each other, the captain sits down in the big chair, looks straight ahead, says his/her catch-phrase, and then the ship warps away to the next adventure. But dammit, I f'n love those scenes, and I'm a total sucker for nostalgia, especially if you throw in the original theme music or an inspirational voice-over doing the famous "space- the final frontier" quote.
It's like a drug, hook that theme and ending into my IV and distract me from the rest of the horrible writing. If you do this, I will come back for more beatings next season.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #1415
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The scenes above, yeah I'm a sucker for the end scenes in star trek, even though the end of Nemisis literally left me wanting to punch Picard in the face and to plant a bomb in the warp core.

Shatner was the absolute best at it. I think I tear up everytime I see the ending of undiscovered country. Second Star to the Right and Straight on til Morning, followed by the final Captain's log and then the hand signed credits. Knowing it was the end of an era.

But you missed one of my favorites.

Out there . . . thataway.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #1416
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, that's a good one too. My personal favorite is the one I posted above from Voyage Home where Kirk says "let's see what she's got."

I also got super emotional at the end of Undiscovered Country. And I may have teared up a little at the end of the 2009 reboot when Leonard Nimoy narrated the "space, the final frontier..." monologue, which I thought was really well done.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #1417
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. The Burn cause didn’t seem as lame as it initially seemed like it was going to be. I like how it mostly played out. They really need or stop killing every adversary though!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #1418
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that was a load of loose dog ####. "And poochie flew back to his home planet, never to be seen again". Like, what, Saru suddenly decides to abandon everything? Of course now Captain everything is finally where they should have just started form the beginning, as the abandon the idea of having the central character not be in charge, which was the whole concept for the show. Good they finally admitted it.

And what the hell was that turbolift scene? The Discovery has this massive open area behind the scenes where all the turbolifts operate? Has any Star Trek ever shown anything like this? It's just ridiculous. Everything we've ever seen on these ships is tight jefferies tubes, everything on the ship packed in tight. Where is this scene taking place on a mostly flat ship? Doesn't matter! We need an action scene! Let's make more #### up!

And every ship in the ST fleet spends 5 minutes firing on Discovery, and they can't break through the shields? Must have been a hell of an upgrade.

Now how do we get out of this one? Lets just give Book spore drive capabilities. Why the #### not at this point!

Gray is a holo, only existing in the holo space, except for that part where because they are a holo, is the only one able to exit the holo to look outside because radiation? Never mind Grey would cease to exist beyond the holo. How does that even make sense?

Nothing matters, nothing makes sense, we don't need consistency because we are making an action show, not smart sci fi. It's all just such garbage writing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #1419
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

And every ship in the ST fleet spends 5 minutes firing on Discovery, and they can't break through the shields? Must have been a hell of an upgrade.
The chain can transport directly through discovery's shields in the previous episode, but discovery's shield can last against the onslaught of every sheet in the fleet!

It is just science.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:43 AM   #1420
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

It felt like more of a "Sorry about us taking a shot at Gene earlier in the season with the whole dead body cleaning crewman scene" then anything that was really relevant to the story.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: