Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #1381
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
So you are saying the armoured regiment of equipment from Russia is just a purchase by the vacationing 'tourists'?

Nope, the armoured regiment is actually a humanatarian mission; they will shoot humanatarian supplies through the tanks so that they reach the ones in need faster.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #1382
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
So you are saying the armoured regiment of equipment from Russia is just a purchase by the vacationing 'tourists'?
Not really, I'm not sure how Russia is going to spin this, or if they don't care, they know that this is going to leak out.

They could spin the story that they're helping the rebels protect themselves or something like that.

But its vital to the Russians that they convey that these aren't Russian troops involved in the transport of the equipment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #1383
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Not really, I'm not sure how Russia is going to spin this, or if they don't care, they know that this is going to leak out.

They could spin the story that they're helping the rebels protect themselves or something like that.

But its vital to the Russians that they convey that these aren't Russian troops involved in the transport of the equipment.
Their foreign minister is spinning it as enforcing the will of the Donetsk and Luhansk people from the recent "election".
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #1384
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

So predictable.

I was working with a contractor from Russia last week and he was going on and on about how Ukrainians are all Nazis and Russia needed to invade to stop ethnic cleansing against Russians in Ukraine. Apparently their state media has been preparing the public for this for a while now.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #1385
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Or maybe it never happened, like the tactical nukes....
http://news.yahoo.com/us-not-confirm...204354798.html

Ukraine news is becoming like NK news, 50% or less is "real".
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #1386
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrns View Post
Or maybe it never happened, like the tactical nukes....
http://news.yahoo.com/us-not-confirm...204354798.html

Ukraine news is becoming like NK news, 50% or less is "real".
Yea some of the news coming out of Ukraine may be just sensationalist to be sure. In this case though it looks real and US has either not yet confirmed it because of poor visibility in the area or not confirming it because of political reasons. Associated Press (AP) got footage of said convoy w/ all the artillery from what looks like a hidden dash cam. The OSCE has also spotted the convoy.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-0...kraine/5877624

Bloomberg is reporting increased Russian support to the "rebels". Given the quality and quantity of equipment in the videos, not surprising. These kind of look like the "green men" Crimean troops that later turned out to be Russian Spetznaz don't you think?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...ls-killed.html

There are also lots of tanks in Ukraine right now used by the "rebels" with Russian railroad transport markers still on them along with numerous reports of Russian specific models and variants including ones with Russia specific ERA packages. This points to the rebels being Russian troops or completely Russian trained and supplied. I'll dig those pictures and reports up when I get the chance.

EDIT:
Here's one I remember seeing. Ukraine military captures a rebel tank and this picture was supplied. Funny thing is, it is a type that the rebels could never have gotten unless they were Russian supplied or are Russian.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=191_1409599577
T-72B3 with Kontact-5 reactive armor package and Thales (French) thermal imaging system. This is a purely Russian modification of the T-72 since the Ukrainians opted for the T-84.
Tanks with Russian railway markers in Ukraine.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/ursus...0_original.jpg

Rebels show off newly "captured" tank but it is a modern T-72B3 with Thales imaging system which is a modernization of the T-72 done in Russia only in 2013
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=708_1410813436
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/t72b3.htm
http://www.armyrecognition.com/forum...pic.php?t=1325

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-13-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #1387
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

NATO finally confirms what was being reported several days ago. Russia combat troops have re-invaded Ukraine along with anti-aircraft systems and artillery
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30025138

Russia and rebels maintains these are "volunteers", likely on vacation.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #1388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NATO finally confirms what was being reported several days ago. Russia combat troops have re-invaded Ukraine along with anti-aircraft systems and artillery
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30025138

Russia and rebels maintains these are "volunteers", likely on vacation.
I dont know about you, but I always pack my trusty Kalashnikov when I take my relaxing vacations to the Crimea.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #1389
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

And tanks ... who doesn't pack a tank with them while on vacation?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #1390
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
And tanks ... who doesn't pack a tank with them while on vacation?
Forget packing one, they're my preferred method of leisure travel.

But they get a little stuffy so the wife and kids have to follow behind me in the armoured troop transports. No one likes being cramped on the journey.

Its the damned kids always packing the OTR-21 Tochka-U's, they make getting through border security a real bitch, but its okay when you travel to the Ukraine because hardly anyone even notices...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #1391
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'd watch National Lampoons Tank Vacation
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #1392
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think I'd watch National Lampoons Tank Vacation
What do you mean Kiev is closed??

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #1393
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What do you mean Kiev is closed??
The bear out front should've told ya.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Moe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #1394
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I would just love to hear the high level phone calls to Russia, can they seriously say this sh*t on the phone, oh yeah those tanks are just volunteers, not ours....
Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #1395
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

More immediately concerning for Canada is the increase of Russian "patrol" flights into the arctic and more than likely into Canadian airspace

Quote:
Separately, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the country's long-range aircraft would go on patrol flights over the Arctic Ocean to the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.

He said that the current situation required Russia to restart the flights, which were cut at the end of the Cold War.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #1396
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Is this Russia's current plan for relevance?

Russia:

Cold war ends. Establish a democratic state. Attempt to become a world economic power leveraging your large industrial base and natural resources.

Crap. It's still all really corrupt. That didn't work.

Hmmmm. How to be relevant.

I know! Invade any weak looking neighbours, and reclaim our status as unpredictable nut jobs with nukes so people will pay attention to us again!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #1397
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know about you, but I always pack my trusty Kalashnikov when I take my relaxing vacations to the Crimea.
Personally I'd take my MP5 on vacation... JK
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #1398
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Personally I'd take my MP5 on vacation... JK
Well, if you did that you certainly wouldnt be mistaken for someone in the Russian Military taking an inexplicable Ukrainian vacation.

Russians dont vacation in Kiev for the drastically different ethnic cuisine, the subtropical climate or the breathtaking scenery.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #1399
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some interesting developments leading into and at G20 meeting in Australia:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21583769/

Quote:
A convoy of Russian warships is making a show of force in the waters northeast of Australia just as Group of 20 leaders gather in Brisbane, an ostentatious show of naval muscle that comes as President Vladimir Putin stands accused of invading Ukraine once again.
Not a normal place for Russian warships to be but, of course, it's just a routine training exercise..

Then the big day finally arrives!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21603779/

Quote:
Vladimir Putin is quitting a Group of 20 summit early after facing heavy criticism over what Western forces say are Russian combat troops entering Ukraine.
Quote:
The Canadian Prime Minister told Mr. Putin flatly that he needs "to get out of Ukraine," when the two met on Saturday during the summit.

A spokesman for the Canadian Prime Minister relayed the details of the encounter and, according to director of communications Jason MacDonald, "Mr. Putin did not respond positively."

Russian officials later said Mr. Putin's reply to Mr. Harper was "That's impossible because we are not there."
Quote:
Mr. Putin was not accorded the normal level of attention at the summit. He was placed at the outside edge of leaders for the formal “family photograph” and only Australia’s assistant defence minister was on hand to greet him when his plane arrived in Brisbane.
Obviously not a good sign as far as finding a resolution to the whole conflict goes. However, I think it's pretty clear Putin could not care less about diplomacy at this point.

Not sure what he hopes to gain by continuing to try and isolate Russia from the rest of the world though. Russia's powerful but not that powerful and sooner or later will really start to feel the negative effects of this.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #1400
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Russia better watch out, Harper will send the CF-18's after them!
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corruption , dictatorship , historyrepeats , pinkocommies , protest , putinomics , soviet expansion