Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #121
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Considering who you responding to is a police officer (I believe), I would take it he would know aht suicide by cop would qualify under.
Police 911 operator. Not a cop, just work with them all day.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #122
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
I was just espousing a point of view that may not have been considered, even though the deceased should be the winner of the play stupid games win stupid prizes contest.

Also thanks for saying that Police are less than people, since a cop did get harmed.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. That's clearly what I meant.

Someone was indeed harmed, so that was written in error.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #123
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wonder if there will ever be any account published of what this guy did and the timeline of events leading up to his death.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #124
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i wonder if there will ever be any account published of what this guy did and the timeline of events leading up to his death.
Keep an eye on the ASIRT twitter page. ( https://twitter.com/asirt_ab?lang=en) They'll usually release some info once they are done their investigation.

Here's their current release:
https://solgps.alberta.ca/asirt/medi...estigation.pdf
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #125
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. That's clearly what I meant.

Someone was indeed harmed, so that was written in error.
There's a certain segment that approves of harm to certain sectors of the public service. Difficult to determine which is which.

Also

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ames-1.4616623

Quote:
Les Kaminski slammed the agency last week for not revealing the identity of a man who was killed on March 27 after allegedly shooting a police officer. He called the move hypocritical, given the agency's commitment to transparency.
So I'm conflicted,here's the police union head saying that ASIRT isn't releasing the names of deceased while their investigations are being conducted. However at this point I'm wondering what good would occur from releasing those names.

Quote:
Kaminski praised the work of police officers that day to make sure people in the area were safe. And he said people in that community have a right to know more about the incident.

"Wouldn't you want to know who's responsible for a shootout in your neighbourhood?"

In the second deadly incident, Kaminski said it was just luck that the "violent criminal" chose to target someone who was in fact a police officer.

"It's important for citizens to see the context of these incidents, and show that officers are facing dangerous people," he said.
While he does have a point, I would have to be convinced that society at large would support behaviors to prevent these violent criminals from re-offending, instead of standing by and letting the courts and correctional system handle re-socializing them. Also publishing their names could incite associates of the deceased to generate opportunities for further mayhem.

On a further note:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/asirt-ide...-man-1.3884381
Quote:
Dental records were used to identify the man as a 25-year-old man, normally a resident of B.C. The suspect’s family was notified about the death on April 11.

The agency says that in keeping with established policies and out of respect for the man’s family and loved ones, ASIRT will not be releasing the name of the deceased.