Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #121
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Overall I thought it was a great first half. There was a bit much relationship drama the last week or two I think, but still solid episodes.

I know I have brought this up before, but I am still sick of the 'Mike didn't go to Harvard' crap all the time. To me, its not really a part of the show except when the writers get lazy and need to drum up a bit of drama. I think at this point, I would have been much happier with the show had it not even been a plot point at all. The show is all about hot shot lawyers using questionably dirty tricks and manipulations to win cases. It could have been a perfectly acceptable premise that Mike was just some whiz kid grad with a photographic memory and that got him started up the chain. I don't really feel like the Harvard angle does the show any justice. Mike as a character has plenty to be driven by and conflicted over. He could have still had all the drama with Rachel over the years, still could be conflicted about the morals of these cases and clients (because of his background and losing his parents) and still could have had the same rapport with Harvey.

I guess I am just sick of them using Mike's secret as the cliff hanger at the end of every half season and season.
I think it could have been interesting if Mike was a slack ass grad that came out of a low grade school only to show up at the interview and blow Harvey away.

Sadly, they can't just walk away from the premise of the show now. I think it is good that they continue to have this as a little issue simmering away. In the legal world, at least in Mike's circle it would be a small world. Six degrees (no pun intended) of separation for relationships.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #122
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine how hard it would be to keep a secret like Mike's not having a law degree. The legal community is quite small (maybe less so in New York) and most lawyers know other lawyers (or know someone who knows them). You always look up information on opposing counsel. If you're a top firm like PSL you're probably under a microscope all the time. The likelihood of someone from Mike's supposed graduating class recognizing he didn't attend class is probably pretty high.

Keeping your head down and a low profile is much easier when you're a pissant junior associate but becoming a partner and having a big wedding like Rachel's mom wanted... nearly impossible to keep that secret under wraps. I think they said early on in the show that this can't go on forever. It's evident we are getting close to the end now.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #123
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've just accepted that relationship drama is a big part of Suits. I've mostly come to terms with it, and the episodes are more enjoyable as a result. That finale was mostly well done. Interesting to see where they go with this now...
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #124
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Harvey's brother looked older than his mom.

Other than those jarring visuals, solid episode.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #125
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that was a heck of a mid season break/finale. Lots of hanging plot lines.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #126
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of wonder if it has something to do with a case or something instead of his Harvard stuff.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #127
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

saw this review of the recent episode and it was talking about the same thing i mentioned:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillb...s-recap-faith/

Quote:
From the greats to the not so greats, every television show makes some kind of deal with its audience – especially if they’re serialized. Walter will die. Mulder will find proof of aliens. The island’s mysteries will be revealed. And while some are better at making good on this promise than others, the one thing that’s certain is the worst thing a show can do is not make good at all… but that doesn’t mean there’s only one way to do it. There’s no rule that says the promise can only be made good on in a series finale, which is even truer now, in a post-Mr. Robot world
Spoiler!
The promise can be made good on whenever the show deems it fit, and for Suits, that time is now.
I was also just thinking about a show that I think did a great job of breaking from a potentially hamstringing initial plot point: White Collar. Perhaps the main driver of plot in the first season was Neal trying to find out what happened to Kate. They resolved the issue and managed to build a show without that constraint hanging over their head for subsequent seasons.

A show that did a terrible job of that was Burn Notice. Michael was always searching for the man in charge, and each season he would find said man in charge and kill him. Only to find out there was actually someone ahead of him. While I loved that show, it was definitely rinse and repeat as far as the overall plot was concerned.

Last edited by dobbles; 09-02-2015 at 08:31 AM.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #128
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
saw this review of the recent episode and it was talking about the same thing i mentioned:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillb...s-recap-faith/

I was also just thinking about a show that I think did a great job of breaking from a potentially hamstringing initial plot point: White Collar. Perhaps the main driver of plot in the first season was Neal trying to find out what happened to Kate. They resolved the issue and managed to build a show without that constraint hanging over their head for subsequent seasons.

A show that did a terrible job of that was Burn Notice. Michael was always searching for the man in charge, and each season he would find said man in charge and kill him. Only to find out there was actually someone ahead of him. While I loved that show, it was definitely rinse and repeat as far as the overall plot was concerned.
Gah! Is that a Mr. Robot spoiler in your quote? Skimmed it but think I saw... Only on ep 3 man!

I agree with what you said about Mike's degree. A real Chekhov's gun in acts 1-99.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #129
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Gah! Is that a Mr. Robot spoiler in your quote? Skimmed it but think I saw... Only on ep 3 man!

I agree with what you said about Mike's degree. A real Chekhov's gun in acts 1-99.
my bad man! i dont watch it so didn't realize it was a recent spoiler. i saw the x files and breaking bad references and figured it was safe!

(i edited my original post to prevent any further damage if you want to edit your post that quotes mine!

Last edited by dobbles; 09-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #130
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the fraud is actually related to the deal Robert Zane did with the hedge fund. One thing this show has done repeatedly is bringing back past transgressions that you thought were resolved.

Throws a wrench in the plans of a wedding, puts his career and relationship with Rachel at risk, and maybe they offer Mike immunity for not having a law degree if he is willing to say that Robert Zane knew of the conflict of interest (big fish partner instead of little fish Mike).

It's the end Dilemma for this show. Puts his relationship with Rachel, up against his ability to be a lawyer without the dark cloud hanging over him.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #131
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

when is the show back?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #132
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
when is the show back?
Second half of season 4 started at the end of January. I would suspect the second half of season 5 would follow the same pattern so January/February 2016.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #133
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Season 5 just resumed last night.

So far it looks like the rest of the season is going to be good. This whole keeping Mike out of jail for fraud looks to be a strong engaging story line.

The even have a "Who shot Mr. Burns" thing going on with who sold out Mike.

The only downside is how does this show keep going in season 6 when this story line finally plays out.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #134
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

So far it looks like the rest of the season is going to be good. This whole keeping Mike out of jail for fraud looks to be a strong engaging story line.

The only downside is how does this show keep going in season 6 when this story line finally plays out.
Are you watching on Netflix?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #135
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Are you watching on Netflix?
Nope PVR'ed Bravo last night
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #136
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Watched the midseason premier last night. Pretty good, actually. Only crummy thing is that the back half of the season is only 6 episodes long. I hope they don't rush to conclude this plotline by the end of the season.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #137
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever since someone pointed it out, I notice every single "goddamn"
Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #138
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched the episode last night. What an intense 45 minutes of television. So many things going on and very engaging. I'm looking forward to this season playing out.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #139
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^
Agreed. So glad they are leveraging Mike's memory in the storyline again, and having Donna come back to Harvey gave the episode a great "gearing up for a major war" type feel. Was on the fence about continuing to follow this series but they successfully pulled me back in.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #140
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I thought the opening episode was pretty solid. Like fredr, I am also sad that the back end is so few episodes. Haven't watched last nights episode yet so hoping it keeps the momentum going.