Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #121
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

They are mobs that are neutral until you place your crosshair on them, then they attack you. Not really hard to kill but the annoying thing they do is pick up random blocks, sometimes out of structures you have built. When they die in the sun they drop the block, so you find pieces of your wall several blocks away.

Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #122
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well thats annoying.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #123
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1.8 also changed neutral mobs so they can spawn on any type of block, not just grass. There's also some other changes to neutral mob spawning. Kicked the hell out of neutral mob traps.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #124
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
1.8 also changed neutral mobs so they can spawn on any type of block, not just grass. There's also some other changes to neutral mob spawning. Kicked the hell out of neutral mob traps.
Near the start of my new world I killed all the pigs and cows in the area for food, it's been week's in the game and no new ones spawn, good thing for wheat.

Edit: They also changed fire, wood will no longer burn indefinitely. Found that out when trying to build a fireplace, had to go to the nether and get some netherrack to get it to work.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #125
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the changes in 1.8. The abandoned mines are AWESOME and freaking HUGE. There are so many dungeons, I think I have 6 or 7 saddles. I also found a ####tonne of clay around the entrance to the mine shaft. 9 or 10 stacks. Not sure if it is related but it is the most clay I have ever seen.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #126
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

All my exploring and mining I have yet to find an abandoned mine. Are the entrances at the surface? I found a massive underground ravine with a lava river running down the middle, that was cool.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #127
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I might post a my project I'm working on. It's an insane trap that relies mainly on pistons and is completely self automated. Also "should" works against endermen (so far)

I will reveal it as soon as my project is done!
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #128
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Endermen are killed by water so I've made sure my buildings have moats as a defense. They're annoying, but they're too weak to be scary.

Having friendly mods not despawn has made farming a possibility, but has caused some problems. I needed wool but there were no sheep around, but when I went exploring I came across this:

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #129
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
All my exploring and mining I have yet to find an abandoned mine. Are the entrances at the surface? I found a massive underground ravine with a lava river running down the middle, that was cool.
The one we found had an entrance at the surface like many other caverns but there was a mine shaft inside that went down to the abandoned mine. It is the biggest underground structure I have ever encountered.

There is a pretty unreal amount of minerals in it as well. I am still exploring the entire thing.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #130
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I anyone here playing/building on an active server? The one I have been on stopped hosting and I'm looking for a new place to build..
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #131
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

We moved to Serenity when stuff fell apart on our server. Server address is server.serenitymc.net.

I haven't been on much in the past couple weeks, as I have taken on an additional client for a short time, but they have moved to 1.8 and have a fairly reasonable admin staff. Multi world etc.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #132
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came across my first swamp biome last night. There are epic amounts of clay. I was reading that it is now a common material which will make for some more building options.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #133
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else still playing this game? I've started to get the itch to do some YouTube videos ever since YouTube kindly offered to monetize my account. I love making redstone contraptions. Here's my latest creation:

Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #134
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played until the server we were on went kaput, and fought to keep it alive in other forms until I finally gave up.

Lots of things remained 3/4 finished like my 1:1 scale of Helm's Deep, but so many other cool things that I finished that I have wanted to document through youtube videos. I have tried to load the world a few times, but 1.6 (or 1.7 maybe) was the last time it ran, so there are many plugin issues to resolve.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #135
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My kid and I just discovered this game and I wanted to know if it was possible for us to play together using the same account. Or if I need to buy another version of the game for both of us to play at the same time.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #136
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I believe you both need different accounts, I have two different accounts for me and my kid and I probably checked to see if we could both play with one account (though that was a long time ago now, so I can't remember for sure).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #137
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't *need* separate accounts, but you need to get a 'hacked client' which involves risk of installing software that could be virus infected and play on an 'offline server' and then you are responsible for maintaining a server. Much easier to cough up the extra $20 and play on any server you want. Even at $5 bucks an hour, you will easily come out ahead buying another account in a month, since the time commitment to maintaining your own with the updates that come out is pretty substantial, unless you want to play vanilla minecraft.

On a related note: I am running a public server now. Just so my nephew has a place to play with my daughter and I, but the box has 4GB of RAM available for minecraft so it can support quite a few people and plugins. It is survival mode, with a few basic plugins for now until bukkit gets upgraded to fully support 1.2.3. Right now I am working on transferring previous creations (from an old server) to the world. I am not advertising it or anything, but if you would like to check it out, send me a PM and I can add you.

Last edited by Rathji; 03-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #138
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I may take you up on that server, but I wanted to ask too, if i buy the extra licence is it possible for me and my son to just play in our own world with a direct connection to each other, or are we tied to these big public servers out there.

My understanding is that I could run my own server just for us and start it up whenever we play.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #139
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You can run your own server, it's what we do.

It's very easy to do in Windows, just run the server executable and you are done. Figuring out your IP address is probably harder.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #140
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I heard that windows is easy, but we are on macs so I'll be off to the youtube to figure out how to do it on that platform

thanks for all the input, I am interested to see how my kid ends up playing this game in the end.