Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 PM   #121
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you guys want a retro experience that can run all the games (not just 30), look no further than Alberta-based company Made By Sloan. They've done stand-up arcade boxes and arcade joystick emulation, but the NES/SNES/n64 cartidge consoles are a new thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ite-retro-cart

Can probably get these a bit easier than NES Classic and you're supporting a local company!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #122
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If you guys want a retro experience that can run all the games (not just 30), look no further than Alberta-based company Made By Sloan. They've done stand-up arcade boxes and arcade joystick emulation, but the NES/SNES/n64 cartidge consoles are a new thing.

Can probably get these a bit easier than NES Classic and you're supporting a local company!
Thank you for this I just ordered one! I was going to buy one of their arcade pads before but I like this idea better!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #123
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Thank you for this I just ordered one! I was going to buy one of their arcade pads before but I like this idea better!
I can see Nintendo pursuing a Cease & Desist, over the form-factor of the cartridges. Granted, they don't seem to be shipping with any (1 licensed?) ROM's, but it's obvious the 3 systems themselves, are catered to the raspberry-pi/MAME piracy environment.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #124
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I can see Nintendo pursuing a Cease & Desist, over the form-factor of the cartridges. Granted, they don't seem to be shipping with any (1 licensed?) ROM's, but it's obvious the 3 systems themselves, are catered to the raspberry-pi/MAME piracy environment.
If it happens oh well. I am sure the company will let me use my purchase towards one of their other arcade products that I was going to get anyways so I am not too worried. They have been around for a while so I don't see these guys just taking the money and disappearing if something like that came up.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #125
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I bought the collector's set, if it ships in January like it is supposed to, Nintendo will have to send thugs to my house to get it back. If they would have had sufficient Classics available, I would have bought a couple of those for myself and my brother. And, if they'd sell the ROMS for a couple bucks each online, I'd get those too (since there are 30 games n a $80 product, they aren't worth even as much as that, really), but I guess (phantom) control over distribution is more important to Nintendo than making easy money.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:17 AM   #126
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I bought the collector's set, if it ships in January like it is supposed to, Nintendo will have to send thugs to my house to get it back. If they would have had sufficient Classics available, I would have bought a couple of those for myself and my brother. And, if they'd sell the ROMS for a couple bucks each online, I'd get those too (since there are 30 games n a $80 product, they aren't worth even as much as that, really), but I guess (phantom) control over distribution is more important to Nintendo than making easy money.
Weird, I think you somehow took my reply as reason to defend your purchase.
If it ships, it's all yours. That's not how a cease & desist works.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #127
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

They units are supposed to ship in January 2017, which, if my calendaring is correct, is next month. I'm not "defending" so much as pointing out that a cease & desist order after the units have been shipped is not much of a threat.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #128
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
They units are supposed to ship in January 2017, which, if my calendaring is correct, is next month. I'm not "defending" so much as pointing out that a cease & desist order after the units have been shipped is not much of a threat.
That's nice. Nothing to do with my post though.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #129
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Exp:

Quote:
That's nice. Nothing to do with my post though.
Really? That the units are going to ship very soon so that a cease-and-desist order will be pointless has nothing to do with your post? Okay sure, you win this time Inspector Gadget.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #130
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Had a lot of fun with it with the family today! Too bad no second controller, it would have been awesome.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #131
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know of a good wireless controller that will work with this? The corded setup, while retro, doesn't work very well in our space.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #132
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do it yourself, it's not hard at all...

mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #133
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a lot of fun with the little one playing old NES, SNES and N64 games on the retropie. She is absolutely enthralled with Harvest Moon.
Loaded Kodi (OpenElec) and retropie bundle, using one of the links posted here earlier. Configured Xbox 360 wireless controller (using the wireless adapter bought from Amazon) simply from on screen prompts.
Haven't found anything that doesn't play very well on the Pi2, so Pi3 must be fantastic.
Have reached out to a kid who does custom 3D printing. Have sent a few plans I downloaded for retro console look to house the Pi. Once we decide on one, will cost $10 - $25, depending on exactly what we choose for the retro look - or I'll just leave it in the original Pi housing.
I have played with the Pi some before - but this could not be simpler to do. It was actually a lot of fun to get the little one to help setting it up too.
I think some Chrono Trigger is in order later
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #134
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Having a lot of fun with the little one playing old NES, SNES and N64 games on the retropie. She is absolutely enthralled with Harvest Moon.
Loaded Kodi (OpenElec) and retropie bundle, using one of the links posted here earlier. Configured Xbox 360 wireless controller (using the wireless adapter bought from Amazon) simply from on screen prompts.
Haven't found anything that doesn't play very well on the Pi2, so Pi3 must be fantastic.
Have reached out to a kid who does custom 3D printing. Have sent a few plans I downloaded for retro console look to house the Pi. Once we decide on one, will cost $10 - $25, depending on exactly what we choose for the retro look - or I'll just leave it in the original Pi housing.
I have played with the Pi some before - but this could not be simpler to do. It was actually a lot of fun to get the little one to help setting it up too.
I think some Chrono Trigger is in order later
Haha, I just got the Wings of Time in my playthrough!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #135
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Had a lot of fun with it with the family today! Too bad no second controller, it would have been awesome.
Luckily I still had my Wii controller I could plug in for player 2. Of all the games on the thing, we ended up playing Dr. Mario more than anything else... go figure.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #136
Millertime
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Active Tech has the Pi3B kits in stock for the lowest price I could find right now.
Millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #137
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Luckily I still had my Wii controller I could plug in for player 2. Of all the games on the thing, we ended up playing Dr. Mario more than anything else... go figure.
I still have mine! Didn't dawn on me that they're the same, but yeah they look identical. Ugh.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #138
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Active Tech has the Pi3B kits in stock for the lowest price I could find right now.
I just ordered this kit from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CCF6V3A

Best price I could find that had everything included. Gonna install RetroPie on it and pair it with a couple of these for the perfect mini-console

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002B9XB0E
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #139
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just ordered this kit from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CCF6V3A

Best price I could find that had everything included. Gonna install RetroPie on it and pair it with a couple of these for the perfect mini-console

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002B9XB0E
For that price what is the difference then supporting the Kickstarter? Just that you can build it yourself in a couple days vs waiting until end of January? Or because you want to add Kodi to it as well?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #140
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Do it yourself, it's not hard at all...

No it's not but by the time you buy the kits and everything it works out to the same price or more. Why not just support a local company?